Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why not a jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not a jeep?

Okay, I've got my flame-retardent suit, so bring it on boys! Lately I've been considering all the money that I've spent/plan to spend on making a capable off-road rig, and began to wonder whether life would be easier if I had just started with a jeep. Instead of searching around for the one supplier that makes a particular part, you can choose from the 60 that make off the shelf kits and such. I'm on the edge of either selling the 4runner as is, or keeping it as a daily driver, and pick up an old jeep to turn into a bada$$ trail vehicle.

I know we all love our toyotas, I certainly love mine. However, putting emotion aside, why wouldn't a jeep be a better option?
Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They break down...... a lot!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:31 AM

My first question to you would be... are there really that many trails in WA. that you havn't been able to do in your 4Runner that you could in a jeep???

I've thought about this a few times aswell. But, so far, have yet to do any trails that my 4Runner couldn't get me through. If your finding yourself limited by your 4runner - then maybe you should get an old jeep that you can build up.

Part of why I like taking my 4Runner on moderatly difficult trails is that you don't see newer 4Runners out there too often. People are amazed what our rigs can do - and that's a cool feeling. When you see another built-up jeep at the top of a trail - it's not that impressive - there are thousands like it - we all know jeeps can go lots of places, big deal.

So, I guess for me it's more of the "uniqueness" factor that keeps me from falling into the "cast of thousands" abd buying a jeep.

Oh - and let's not forget the reliabilty factor!!

Personally if you wanted to build up an older rig - I'd get and older Landcruiser - it looks like a jeep - but one important factor - It's a Toyota!!

my thoughts.

John
Old 10-03-2003, 08:32 AM

obviously there are advantages and disadvantages to both. IMO, the big advantage of Toyota over Jeep is the reliability and the fit and finish. Toyota is top notch in that category. Jeep is just middle of the pack. The advantage Jeep has is the availability of parts and people who are knowledgable enough to work on them.

IMO, Toyotas make great double duty trucks. They will get you back and forth (to and from work, trail, vacation, etc.) without worry, and with just a bit of effort, they can be made into good trail rigs. Jeeps make good trail only rigs, where reliability isn't as much of a concern.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:35 AM

Besides the breaking issue, I like the extra space in my Runner.

Don't get me wrong I do like Jeeps, but when you have large dogs the extra room makes a difference when hauling gear too!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:38 AM

I"ll put on my flame retardant suit as well. I've never owned a jeep, so I can't speak for how well they hold up. Probably no where near as good as a Toyota. However, I do know that as soon as my wifes car bites the dust I'm going to find a used rubicon v6, do a soa for around $150 + time (gives 4+ inches lift), put in some new gears w/ lockers and larger tires, longer shocks, front driveshaft if needed, maybe fab up a few new parts (sliderz, bumper, etc) and call it good. This will be way cheaper and less time consuming then doing a SAS on my 4runner + adding lockers gears and larger tires ever would be.

Of course, I love my 4runner. It has way more room (i.e. I can haul 4 people + gear no problem, heck, my wife and I can even sleep in it) plus it is completely capable offroad. However, a jeep would be nice for a second vehicle.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with uniqueness factor when taking the "station wagon" out on the trail, and I definitely get alot more looks driving around town than if I was in a jeep. I also agree about the 4runner being a much better daily driver- I've got a dog, and I've also slept in the back during my recent trip to Alaska.

As far as on the trail, I've wondered if I'd be alot more agressive/willing to try harder trails with a jeep. I have this fear of rolling the 4runner, which would likely total the vehicle for sure, with all the glass in the back. However, with a jeep, its just a matter of flipping back over.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:08 AM

Once your out in the middle of no-where and your jeep breaks down, will you second guess your decision on losing the yota? My buddy who owns a jeep and is a very competent mechanic yet his jeep is always down. He'll fix it, take it out on the trail and something else would break. He does admire my runner; IMO, I would get an old FJ and fix that up.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

OK,you can hose out the interior of a Jeep which would just make a 4Runner soggy.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

When I worked as a mechanic, I rarely saw a 4.0L I6 Jeep engine that didn't leak oil. Reliability was the biggest reason I stayed away from Jeep (along with Dodge and GM). I think a built old Willys Jeep would be cool to have, but I wouldn't buy a Jeep after Chrysler bought it and especially after Diamler took it over.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:47 AM

szf2-- just to let you know the Rubicon Wranglers are a inline 6 motors not V6 motors, they already have front and rear lockers and are coil sprung not leaf sprung making it impossible to do a SPOA lift, best part all of this comes stock!
Old 10-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Ive got a 1998 TJ w/ 40k on it...it can be yours for $7k.

Ive been driving a TJ for the past month. Its handles like crap when you hit a bump (practically jump a lane over), but other than that and it being extremely loud (dont have the sail cloth top), its a fun car to drive around. Mine is bottom line, doesnt even have A/C. Top pops off in 3 mins. As far as storage, I poped out the back seat (22 seconds), and use it as a mini truck. Holds plenty. Acutally it holds bigger stuff than my 4Runner because the top can come off. It's DAMN CHEAP to mod. For under $1k you could through 35's under there (that includes the price of the tires and rims). CHEAP! As far as reliablitly, old ones suck, but the new TJ's are much better. Mine is holding up real well...its had zero problems since my mom got it back in '97.

Ohh, it gets ˟˟˟˟ty gas for a 4 banger and being so small.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

How are the automatic jeeps?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:32 AM

auto's are slow peices of crap, i have a deep down haterd for jeeps....

cause you know

jeeps are like tampons,
every ˟˟˟˟˟ has one.

PISS ON HEEPS!!

wade
Old 10-03-2003, 10:46 AM

OK, tell us how you really feel
Old 10-03-2003, 11:00 AM

My friend bought a brand new 2001 or 2 Wrangler, talk about POS the thing is in the shop 1 week a month no joke, it's got to be a lemon and Jeep does not stand behind the warranty, most of the things that brake Jeep says was his fault so he ends up paying, I told him to buy an Xterra.

My other friend just bought a V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Im not even gonna start comparing it to my 4Runner but the engine in it vibrates about half and inch left to right at idle, wonder what that thing looks like at WOT, my V8 4Runner at idle the engine does not even move.

Jeep I actually said peace of Jeep the other day when referring to something
Old 10-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

My good friend and neighbor has a heep rubicon. My rig cost half as much and has been on twice as many trails! And trust me, he is just as paranoid about rolling his rig as I am.

He has spent tons of $$ on his rig to get it "ready" for the trails. I really like his rig, but there are a lot of hidden costs to modding the heeps. For example, when he lifted it he had to buy a longer rear driveshaft. Same thing goes for the cherokees. We run 31s stock. They gotta lift em 3" for 31s.

So what if we only have a few sources for parts - at least we can get coil overs and IFS lockers and armour and etc . . . Just be thankful you don't own a mitsubishi.

Plus I know my rig will go 200,000 plus miles (hopefully trouble-free) and will still have some resale.

Just enjoy your 4runner!
Old 10-03-2003, 11:06 AM

I'm sure a Jeep would be great if you wanted a trail only rig. Then again, so would a built older 4Runner, a Toy pickup, or even a Sami.

Once you start to spend the $$ to build a serious trail only rig I'm not sure there's going to be much savings with a Jeep. You'll still be in the same place as with the Japanese trucks. Replace all the driveline and suspension with items that don't break as often as stock stuff and work better. At least with a Toy you get good quality engine components.

Look at some of the trucks the guys on the Pirate board have. I doubt many Jeeps could do any better than the Toyotas a lot of those guys are running...

Last edited by JSharp; 10-03-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I have experience with Jeep. I had a 88 Cherokee 4x4, but it started to cost me lots of $$ when it got up around 130k. It also leaked every fluid that a truck can leak. I had a 94 Sport 4x4, that's engine totally died at 90k. It also did not have ABS which scared the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of me a few times in the rain. Overall, the Toyota is just a much better truck all around, as we all know. I will never buy another American made vehicle, especially a Dodge/Chrysler. Leave the Jeeps for the chicks.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Reliability and resale value.

I bought my 98 Tacoma for $18K, drove it for 1.5 years, and sold it for $17.2K. Try that in a Heep.

Oh yeah, in the meantime, one of my wheelin buddies went through two trannies on his 97 Grand Cherokee V8 with 80K miles.

Now I will admit, my other wheelin buddy, who had a Cherokee with 225K miles, I6, had no problems.

Hit and miss I guess.

Quick Reply: Why not a jeep?