Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why do I need a new steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do I need a new steering rack?

The dealer just called and said that our 97 w/ 76k miles needs a new steering rack. This seems to be very low miles for a steering rack problem. Is this a typical problem?

Jeff
Old 06-20-2003, 12:09 PM

Never heard of that one before, especially at low miles like that. Do you use it offroad much? If it took some serious pounding I guess it could be wrecked...
Old 06-20-2003, 12:25 PM

Steering rack

We bought it w 37k and never take it off road. The wife drives it the most and that is highway miles.

Jeff
Old 06-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Away

Ask them what the problem is and WHY you need a new one. Sometimes the Spool Valve starts leaking. If it is, the rack needs to be replaced. If it really is bad, ask if a MOOG Rack is available. MOOG rebuilds the racks and puts a Steel Sleeve in the Spool Valve rather than Aluminum. They carry a lifetime warranty.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Z
Old 06-21-2003, 04:36 AM

I also have a 97' (high 60,000 mileage, also bought with 30,000 something) and was told the same thing by the dealer.
I then took my Runner to the shop that does all my work and got the issue fixed with just some new bushings.

The issue that started it all was a crooked steering wheel and some sloppy play in steering. The dealer identified the problem as the steering rack (which I agreed) and said the whole thing needed replacing.
My mechanic also agreed it was the rack, but said the real problem was the bushings were worn, allowing the rack to slide back and forth. In the past they said the whole rack would be replaced, but now they can uninstall the rack, replace the bushings with some from Energy Suspensions, reinstall, and good as new!
You may have some totally other problem, but would check this out first,$$$$$
Old 06-21-2003, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Lifer
I also have a 97' (high 60,000 mileage, also bought with 30,000 something) and was told the same thing by the dealer.
I then took my Runner to the shop that does all my work and got the issue fixed with just some new bushings.

The issue that started it all was a crooked steering wheel and some sloppy play in steering. The dealer identified the problem as the steering rack (which I agreed) and said the whole thing needed replacing.
My mechanic also agreed it was the rack, but said the real problem was the bushings were worn, allowing the rack to slide back and forth. In the past they said the whole rack would be replaced, but now they can uninstall the rack, replace the bushings with some from Energy Suspensions, reinstall, and good as new!
You may have some totally other problem, but would check this out first,$$$$$
where in GA are you? i think im having the same probs and want to check this out. which shop did you go to?

was your rack ever making noises when you turned?
Old 06-21-2003, 05:39 AM

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
where in GA are you? i think im having the same probs and want to check this out. which shop did you go to?

was your rack ever making noises when you turned?
Wish I was in GA !, right now I'm stationed in Korea.

However the area that was in, is Hinesville, GA about 45 minutes southwest of Savannah. The shop is called Liberty Tire and Brake. These guys are awesome, they have done all the work to my Runner from my suspension, to my exhaust, to my ATF flush. Liberty really knows their stuff.

As far as the rack making noise, no it didnt.