Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Why brake in reverse?

Old 08-12-2004, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why brake in reverse?

Okay when i back up it feels like my rear brakes are being applied, why?
No my foot is not on the brake.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

Help!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:58 PM

Well you could have internal binding in the spur gear for reverse in the transmission, or drive line u-joints binding, but if no strange noises, you may want to check out your rear shoes, rear brake hardware, rear cylinders, and drums. More info. on noises and such would be helpful.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Banned

could just be normal, the reason is this, its a lower gear than first, it has a steeper numerical gear #, meaning it takes more input of torque to get ti to spin from a dead stop than first gear
Old 08-12-2004, 09:15 PM

i had the same problem a few months ago. i though it was the tranny or something in the gears. turns out it was in the brakes. first off i had a bad wheel cylinder in the left rear drum. the pistons were staying stuck out which kept the shoes pressed out against the drum. i just rebuilt the wheel cylinder, or you can buy a new one for not that much. also, the parking brake was messed up. there is a lever that bolts up to the backing plate bedind the drum. its was pretty much stuck in the on position, keeping the front shoe pressed againt the drum. this is why it was only braking real hard in reverse, cause the front shoe is the one doing most of the braking in reverse. hope that helps you out some. if you got anymore questions about it let me know, ide be glad to try and help you out.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

There are no noises so i don't think it is the tranny or gears or drive line.
To give more of an idea:
If i am parked on a hill with the front of my truck at the top and I push in my clutch I will not roll back wards, how ever if i am facing the other way i will roll all day.

I haven't look at the breaks yet to see what they look like no time right now. will try this week end.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RED 85
There are no noises so i don't think it is the tranny or gears or drive line.
To give more of an idea:
If i am parked on a hill with the front of my truck at the top and I push in my clutch I will not roll back wards, how ever if i am facing the other way i will roll all day.

I haven't look at the breaks yet to see what they look like no time right now. will try this week end.
THis has absolutely no relevance, but is an interesting data point. My parking brake won't stop my 4runner from rolling backwards down a hill (obviously the grade matters some). However it does stop if from rolling forwards down the hill.

(of course I have my brake applied when I don't want to go anywhere; and the vehicle in gear).
Old 08-13-2004, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bennito
THis has absolutely no relevance, but is an interesting data point. My parking brake won't stop my 4runner from rolling backwards down a hill (obviously the grade matters some). However it does stop if from rolling forwards down the hill.

(of course I have my brake applied when I don't want to go anywhere; and the vehicle in gear).
i see you have a '97, did they still put rear drum brakes on them, or did they switch to discs by then? if you have drums, that makes sence. the shoes are set up in drum brakes to catch the drum and pull tighter when the drum is turning. to accomplish this, they need to angle the shoe a little. the result is that in reverse, the shoe gets pushed away a little. drums are optimized for forward use. since the parking brake only actuates the rear wheels (unless you have a wierd old saab like my gf, then it acuates only the front brakes - that took a while to figure out), you don't get much stopping power from the parking brakes in reverse.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mike_d
i see you have a '97, did they still put rear drum brakes on them, or did they switch to discs by then? if you have drums, that makes sence. the shoes are set up in drum brakes to catch the drum and pull tighter when the drum is turning. to accomplish this, they need to angle the shoe a little. the result is that in reverse, the shoe gets pushed away a little. drums are optimized for forward use. since the parking brake only actuates the rear wheels (unless you have a wierd old saab like my gf, then it acuates only the front brakes - that took a while to figure out), you don't get much stopping power from the parking brakes in reverse.
That would be a good thing to remember when you stop at the top of a mountain and get out to look at the view.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Just looked at and fixed by rear end break thing. what it was, was i had bigger bumper pads on the rear and the had fallen off with out me noticing that in turn left the rear axile a little loose and which broke the pin that keeps the springs aligned with the axile and moved the drivers side forward and made the axle rotate when going in to reverse which in turn made the e-brake engage..... I know a run on and on sentance.
But there you have it. thanks for the idea's guys.