Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

whos tried brake light tint

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whos tried brake light tint

hey all,

I have been lurken alot and learnen alot about my 4runner. I have a black 98 and was wondering who has or seen the tail lights tinted with that spray on tint. I am wondering what it looks like and quality wise.

tyler
Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Haven't done it on my 4Runner but I did have my tails tinted on my Honda Civic. I thought it looked great, was cheap and easy. I used NightShades or something like that. Bought mine off ebay because I couldn't find it around here but I'm considering dong it to my 4Runner as well.

I know its not a 4Runner but it might give you an idea....these are the best comparison pics I got.

With stock tails...

With stock tails tinted..

Last edited by trd_4runnin11; 06-25-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:12 PM

I have been doing some reading on this and am going to do it to my 3rd brake light, just to tint it, not to blacken it. For some reason its too red for me (so counter-intuitive i know). I am actually going to use some ModelMaster/Testors Paint Transparent Black Window Tint. Its used for tinting the plastic on model cars and seems to be a favorite by many for this applictation.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
I have been doing some reading on this and am going to do it to my 3rd brake light, just to tint it, not to blacken it. For some reason its too red for me (so counter-intuitive i know). I am actually going to use some ModelMaster/Testors Paint Transparent Black Window Tint. Its used for tinting the plastic on model cars and seems to be a favorite by many for this applictation.
Be sure and post pics of your results. I am considering doing both taillights and the 3rd brakelight, and possibly even the corner lights. Im still a month out or so though so I'd like to see yours when done.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by trd_4runnin11
Be sure and post pics of your results. I am considering doing both taillights and the 3rd brakelight, and possibly even the corner lights. Im still a month out or so though so I'd like to see yours when done.
Will do, I had to order a few cans of the paint from a local hobby shop since no one stocks anything in my redneck town, and they said it be here in 2wks. I have been eyeing my tailights too, and depending on how well the 3rd brake turns out, i may just very lightly tint the red areas of the tailights.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:32 AM

ya, I am going to do my 3rd brake light first and see how it comes out. then if I like it ill do the brake lights
Old 06-26-2008, 08:27 AM

I don't understand WHY anybody would want to make themselves less visible in low-light conditions or make it hard for people behind them to know when they're braking. I absolutely hate those black covers the wanna-be thugs put on their cars. You can barely see it light up.

Not sure if this will be as drastic as that, but still not a fan of messing with a safety feature. Signal lights aren't as bad, but brake lights? C'mon...
Old 06-26-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cackalak han
I don't understand WHY anybody would want to make themselves less visible in low-light conditions or make it hard for people behind them to know when they're braking. I absolutely hate those black covers the wanna-be thugs put on their cars. You can barely see it light up.

Not sure if this will be as drastic as that, but still not a fan of messing with a safety feature. Signal lights aren't as bad, but brake lights? C'mon...
But it looks so hella cool, bro

If he wants to get rear ended by a school bus thats his problem!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
But it looks so hella cool, bro

If he wants to get rear ended by a school bus thats his problem!
Exactly! But I was thinking more on the lines of a Kenworth fully loaded with conc. HCl.
And really its all to what degree. Personally i am going to try a very light mist on it. The purpose is to still keep it red and reflective but just to mellow? it out a bit.. I got the idea from here, http://www.gadgetjq.com/tl_paint_done.jpg and think that still is too black for me.
But really though, maybe i'll just get ebay HID kits and some black tinted ebay headlights and then some LED's in some ebay black alezzas that i spray with full on black spray paint....christ
Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 AM

never said I was going to black them out. I just want to throw some darkness on them so it would look better... Also if its to dark to see then ill just get new ones. If you haven't done it and don't know then don't post up with your stupid remarks or refrase them.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM

How about some bedliner that would be pretty cool..you could do the headlights too!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 AM

why stop there. Ill do all my windows as well. That way I can block out 100% UV Rays...
Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by jeepeater2003
never said I was going to black them out. I just want to throw some darkness on them so it would look better... Also if its to dark to see then ill just get new ones. If you haven't done it and don't know then don't post up with your stupid remarks or refrase them.
Actually you can just use some ethanol to remove the paint or even wet sand them down and give a shot of clear coat if you dont like them...Just dont use paint thinner or any other unfriendly to plastic solvent. oh apparently brake cleaner is ok too.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:05 AM

yea, Ive heard brake clean and hard plastic don't mix to good though. I guess it dries out the plastic or something and the plastic starts to crack and kinda haze over. IF it is to dark then Ill just probly wet sand them a little to get what I want. Thanks though
Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by jeepeater2003
yea, Ive heard brake clean and hard plastic don't mix to good though. I guess it dries out the plastic or something and the plastic starts to crack and kinda haze over. IF it is to dark then Ill just probly wet sand them a little to get what I want. Thanks though

So how do you seperate the lens from the assembly? I thought they were sealed from the factory? no?
Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
So how do you seperate the lens from the assembly? I thought they were sealed from the factory? no?
Actually the third brake light one looks like it'll come off pretty easy...however...im lazy and it'll go on the exterior as many do

This one is wayyy to black, but wow, pretty good job.
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutor...ing_Taillights