Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who's Done the 15K Sevice on their 03 Runner?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's Done the 15K Sevice on their 03 Runner?

I'm nearing the 15K service and looking to capitalize on the best deal I can find from the local dealers. Plus, I have my 10% coupon off of any service right from Toyota mailing around Christmas. So, several dealers changed the air filter, oil and lube, and tranmission. My local dealerwas $199 for the 15K service.

The other dealer near my work was $238, and they did the above plus cleaned the throttle body, changed the differential fluid, and changed the transfer case. Not a bad price!

So, my questions are...

1. Should the differentials really be changed at 15K?

2. I though the T case and tranmission on my V8 share the same fluid reservoir? Is this the case?

Anybody?
Old 02-13-2004, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, if you have the V8, you have full time 4x4.

I take mine in next week for the 15K, I am having both diffs changed and will wait until 30K for a tranny flush. The tranny drain they do at 15K is useless.

My dealer charges $42.99 for each diff and $129 for the 15K with a loaner. They offer a daily loaner, but cut corners like not including throttle body cleaning, etc.

Not all 15K service schedules are followed by all dealers, seems each dealer has their own recommendation for the 15K.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:00 AM

Dutchman,

$199 seems a little steep for me if they are only changing fluids, lubing, changing the air cleaner, and the tranny fluid (could this possibly be a tranny flush ?). Considering all of the parts/fluids will cost less than $100, you will be paying Toyota $100 for labor. Ouch...

If that price includes a tranny flush, then it's a pretty good value. Tranny flushes usually cost $100+, including the new fluid.

To answer your questions:

1. Differentials only need to be changed at 15k if you are towing or using your 4Runner hard. I'm at 16.5k and haven't changed them. I'll be doing that next week when I get back from Colorado, tho. But that's mainly because I'm a maintenance nut...

2. Nope. T-cases use their own fluid. Completely different from the tranny, too. Your T-case should use 75w-90 gear oil, your tranny should use Toyota's T-IV tranny fluid.

Hope that helps !

Steve
Old 02-13-2004, 08:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't the tranny flush based on time or mileage, whichever comes first? My dealer showed me the page in the manual about it once, and he was right in saying Toyota recommends every 12 months or X miles. On the flush, be sure to get the complete power flush that replaces the torque converter fluid, or you'll only be half-flushed with a more typical drain/refill.

Price seems competitive for all fluids and filters. Most retail labor rates are around $75-$90 per hour. That's the rub. The techs are in such a hurry to beat the clock that they can cut corners or skip QC steps to get you outta there.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:22 AM

Isn't the tranny flush based on time or mileage, whichever comes first? My dealer showed me the page in the manual about it once, and he was right in saying Toyota recommends every 12 months or X miles.
Holy cow ! 12 months ? You gotta be kidding me. That would equate to 12k - 15k miles !

You are correct that the tranny flush is based upon mileage. Toyota's own service booklet states that 30K is the recommended mileage to get your tranny flushed. If you talk with anyone in the tranny industry, they will recommend 24k/24 months for the flush. I'm not sure where that 12 month interval for a flush came from, but you'd probably be throwing away perfectly good tranny fluid.

Steve
Old 02-13-2004, 10:52 AM

Lefty,

The $199 isn't a flush. It's only a drop the pan, change the filter, and fill job. They refuse to flush trannies at this dealer. They said it runs the risk of ruining the tranny, somethign they are afraid of. $199 is the cheapest I can find. EVery other dealer, other than the one near work (which was $238), wanted $275 for the same service.

I really want the diffs. and t-case changed and it's to freakin cold up here is New England to do it myself, so I think I'm going to have the dealer near work do it for me.

I have the 10% Toyota coupon. $238-$23.80 = $214.20. Not too bad for the 15K including the diffs, t-case, and thorttle body cleaning.

That brings up a question. If you clean the t-body out, do you run the risk of throwing off the check engine light???
Old 02-13-2004, 11:25 AM

Dutch,

I can't stand to watch someone be taken to the cleaners like that. I also understand your weather constraints, too.... If I were in your shoes, I'd call around and find a reputable independent service company to do the work. I'm pretty certain you would get a much better deal than what you are getting through your dealer's service dept.

Here's where I'm coming from:

For my 15K service, I have/will be changing my engine oil, lubing the chassis, changing the differential and t-case fluids and refilling with synthetic oils. I also am replacing the air filter with a Toyota filter. I am NOT replacing the tranny fluid until 20+k.

Air Filter: $25
Oil: 6 x $4/quart (Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30) = ~$24
Filter: Mobil 1: $12
T-case Oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90): 2 x $7/qt = $14
Diffs (Amsoil Synthetic 80w-90): 5 x $7/qt = $35
Lube: $0 (already have the lube from previous vehicles, but this shouldn't be very expensive. Maybe $1 of lube)

So, for the total, I'm looking at $110 + tax. That's for synthetics all around. Toyota will only put in regular dino oil, so those prices will be much lower.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I will be using the Toyota T-iV fluid in the tranny. Since that will be replaced by regular dino fluid again at 24k, I'm in no hurry to replace it.

That is interesting info on the tranny flushing, tho. I wonder how they expect to get all of the old tranny fluid out without a flush ? (drain and replace only does 3 of the 11 quarts in the tranny).

Good luck !

Steve

*edited to be define air filter vs. oil filter and enter the lube info.

Last edited by Lefty; 02-13-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lefty, I have to update my time or mileage post above since I found out some facts this afternoon after stopping by my dealership.

I asked the Service Manager to confirm his 12/15K tranny flush recommendation again, the one I bought for an older Toyota Land Cruiser I was reconditioning for resale. He pulled out the nice laminated service reminder giveaway card that was in a holder on the counter. It looked official alright, the same appearance as the scheduled maintenance guide I got a couple of years ago. Sure enough, the 12/15K service listed LOF, tranny flush, tire rotation, chassis lube and complete inspection. At least the price wasn't bad, only $139.90.

Well, just to be certain, I went to the showroom and pulled the Scheduled Maintenance Guide for SUV's and Trucks out of a 2004 'Runner glovebox. I was shocked (because I really do trust my guys) to see no mention of tranny flush for the 12/15K maintenance. In fact, the first tranny flush isn't called for until 72/60K on an '04.

I went back to the SM and asked him about it. He said that some intervals increased last year with improved, long-life lubricants and coolants, but they hadn't updated their reminder cards yet. He said he'd only sell that service to owners of older Toyotas.

I don't have any old Toyota SMG's to verify that, but know them to be honest brokers and have a longstanding good relationship with them. Also, the '03's did go to long-life coolant, backing his claim.