Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who wants 36" Swampers... really ; )

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who wants 36" Swampers... really ; )

Im thinking of buying THIS TRUCK ! It claims to have a 4" trailmaster lift and a 3" body kit on 36" swampers! This however is not what I want. Im really looking for stock body 33's, SR5 and DX with low miles and a small price tag. :pat:

My questions are What is involved in removing a 4" trailmaster kit and a 3" boby lift. Did the frame have to be cut for installation? I want the Total Chaos control arms and I need a good platform to work with! Also what is involved with lifting the body 3"? Peadles? Lines? Cabbles? Wires? ...? And where can I get aftermarket stock size mounts?

Then who is interested in a used 4" trailmaster and what will you pay for it?

How about a 3" body lift kit?

Then who wants 36" Swampers with low miles?

make me some offers!!!

I guess the thing that grabs me is that it is white so I dont have to paint the new fenders and it has 5.29 gears and lockers!!!

I really need your help...

_traivs
Old 01-04-2003, 07:30 PM

Sorry kinda O/T, but that's a great price for that truck!...:eek:
Old 01-04-2003, 07:34 PM

seems kinda odd to me to buy a nicely lifted truck, (well at least it looks nice hopefully they did a good job on the mods) just to take it all apart to put it back to stock?!?!

wouldn't it just be easier for you to get a stock truck? Hell if you even found one and repainted it, it would still probably be cheaper than getting a mech. to tear all that apart... unless you do it yourself but you seemed like you weren't sure about how to do it....
Old 01-04-2003, 07:53 PM

Its not that Im afraid of the work its just that I dont know what was done!!! And at the moment it seems that that is a good price for any truck with those miles!!!

_traivs
Old 01-04-2003, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

The reason that it has the 5.29 gears is because of the big 36' tires. If you go back to stock and use the smaller tire, you are going to be maxed out at 65 mph with the truck at redline. Also, if you go back to stock height, you will not be able to fit the 33's like you mentioned above.

It seems kind of silly to tear appart what appears to be a great truck. To each his own. I just think that it would be much easier to find a stock truck in the same condition. They would probably even want less money for it since there were no mods.

good luck
Old 01-04-2003, 09:15 PM

I understand the gearing and I am not interested in returning to stock height, I simply think that oversized body lifts are a joke. I also would prefer a total chaos kit to the trailmaster. Everyone seems to like the truck but tell me what you think of his setup and if anyone can tell me what modafications are made for the current kit so I can have a better idea as to what I am up against by switching to the Total Chaos kit seeing as I am my mechanic.

_travis
Old 01-04-2003, 09:23 PM

5.29's only go 65mph huh?

I can't tell you about the pro comp kit but I can say that 5.29's will go way past 65mph especially with 33" tires. I think the Kit is bolt on and you could "un-install" it but I would call someone like 4wheelparts who do those type of jobs and find out. Good luck! I have had my Total Chaos upper arms for a few weeks now and I am stoked on them. In another week I will have SAW 2.5"x8.0"stroke emulsion shocks to hopefully get more travel than my Kings get now. were you thinking of getting the TC long travel kit or the upper arms only?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the advice and support. I am planning to get the long travel kit. I am going to see the truck tomorrow and was wondering what the kit involves and how much damage it could have done.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:22 AM

Everything should jsut be bolt on for the suspension lift. If you wanted to drive it between the time you pull off the first lift and add the second one you will need to get a couple of stock sized knuckles to replace the ones with the lift built into them. The body lift should be pretty easy to take off, but there are extensions welded to shift levers, so those would probably need to be taken off and welded back to stock length. There are also four supports under the bed theat are probably tack welded into place, which would need ot come off too. You would also need to remove a steering shaft extension. I put my body lift on by myself over the course of about a 1.5 days. The most dificult part was (and continues to be) getting the friggin' shift levers back similar to there stock configuration after adding the extensions!

What is your ultimate goal in going with the Total Chaos kit? Are you wanting to do high-speed off-raoding (like pre-runner type stuff?), or the more slow speed, mountain/rock crawling stuff? The TC kit would be awesome for the high speed desert racing stuff, but if you are more interested in rock crawling I think your money would be better spent on a solid axle swap.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Here's a link to a guy that makes custom length body lift kits.

http://4crawler.cruiserpages.com/4x4...yLiftKit.shtml
Old 01-05-2003, 05:25 PM

I have a friend that wants 36" swampers for a good price. Let me know what you do and I will get with him about them.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:40 PM

this was said... if you're gonna tear it all up, why not just get a stock one and put your own lift on.

if you buy a lifted truck, chances are, it's probably been beat on. taken offroad, run through mud, all kinds of mud up in the engine, real dirty. he may have cleaned it, but look for mud and stuff up there he missed... aslo check the oil for water and stuff...

if you buy a stock truck, even if you have to pay more... which you wont... chances are it was driven mostly on road, with less wear and tear... in better condition basically. that's what i'd do. but.... it is a nice truck, so do what you want.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:04 PM

Wow,

Thanks for the play! I inspected the truck and I believe that I could have removed the lift fairly easily. And there were no extentions on the shift knobs. The truck had been run hard and hung up wet. I think the term beater is appropriate! The motor had not been cleaned and was orange from east TX. But what really got me was that there was only about a drop of oil on the end of the dipstick:pat: Other than that the truck was generally poor!

On the bright side my buddy showed me about 120 in his 240SX on the way there!!! My hair actually caught on fire!

The search continues...

Again thanks for the input. I really dig those who have intellegent things to say!

_travis
Old 01-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

I would look for a stock truck rather than one that has been lifted. Just because people that lift their truck and put lockers on it probably beat the ˟˟˟˟˟ out of it off-road. I would find a stock 4x4 that some grandpa drove and buy that. But than again its your decision.

-Travis
Old 01-06-2003, 01:59 PM

thats what im talkin about SLC punk
Old 01-06-2003, 10:31 PM

Yes, Iv got my feelers out! The trucks hold there value so well its hard to find a bargan!