who makes these?
http://performanceproducts.com/Produ...producttype=20
Old 11-30-2004, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Downey Off-Road
Old 11-30-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm...they have the headers with a hose and without, how do I know which I need?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:52 PM

You need to be more specific on what a "hose" is... If it's part of an EGR or Reed Valve assembly, yes you need it. If it's a crossover pipe, no it isn't necessary as long as you can find an exhaust shop to fabricate one for you.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:52 PM
Banned

and how come they dont hae the Xover pipe kit on their website?
Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Churnd
You need to be more specific on what a "hose" is... If it's part of an EGR or Reed Valve assembly, yes you need it. If it's a crossover pipe, no it isn't necessary as long as you can find an exhaust shop to fabricate one for you.
[QUOTE]17410-34A ‘95-02 3.4 V-6 Header, Auto, Chrome
$303.91
17410-34AC ‘95-02 3.4 V-6 Header, Auto, Ceramic
$409.84
17410-34S ‘95-02 3.4 V-6 Stick (with hose), Chrome
$325.17
17410-34SC ‘95-02 3.4 V-6 Stick (with hose), Ceramic
$430.96
Old 11-30-2004, 02:17 PM

I have no idea. My experience was with a 3.0. The 3.4 is an entirely different beast. Should be others here who have those headers who could explain what it is.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Downey headers on my 96 4Runner with the 3.4L...

You may wanna check this recent thread for some links and info:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/trd-headers-45586/

I dunno what "the hose" is, but the headers are sold for either an auto or manual tranny, so go by that.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

alright thanks...

umm...hows the installation? What are the torque specs? How do I get to the lower bolts on teh header flange?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:24 PM

The install sucks. If you read through that thread you'll find my back-story which is basically that I read a lot about how much it sucks before even buying them.

I talked to a local general maintenance/exhaust shop, told them the install sucks, they said they would still do it, I said the install REALLY sucks, "we'll still do it", and they quoted me a flat fee.

Okay! With a written estimate in hand, I ordered the headers.

They came in about 5 weeks later and I dropped off the truck at the shop.

2 _DAYS_ later I got the call that it was done.

"DAMN!!! THAT SUCKED!"

"Yeup.. I told ya'!"

But, they were good to their word and stuck to the written estimate. The install would have cost me more than double if they had charged me by the hour. (They quoted $300 and they guessed they spent about 10 hours. At the time they were charging $73/hour)

So, like I suggested to the guy in the other thread, find a local shop to do it and see if you can get them to give you a written estimate up front. I'd bet that it will save you a LOT of money, unless they happen to know how much this.... sucks.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Did we mention the install sucks?
Old 11-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
The install sucks. If you read through that thread you'll find my back-story which is basically that I read a lot about how much it sucks before even buying them.

I talked to a local general maintenance/exhaust shop, told them the install sucks, they said they would still do it, I said the install REALLY sucks, "we'll still do it", and they quoted me a flat fee.

"DAMN!!! THAT SUCKED!"

"Yeup.. I told ya'!"

But, they were good to their word and stuck to the written estimate. The install would have cost me more than double if they had charged me by the hour. (They quoted $300 and they guessed they spent about 10 hours. At the time they were charging $73/hour)

So, like I suggested to the guy in the other thread, find a local shop to do it and see if you can get them to give you a written estimate up front. I'd bet that it will save you a LOT of money, unless they happen to know how much this.... sucks.

Good luck!
Yeah, thats why I dont even wanna touch the stock headers just yet it looks like a big PITA. Plus the studs on mines are pretty rusty.

Hey mark honestly for the 600 or so spent including installation you think its worth it as far as performance goes.

Did you notice anything in the low end?

Did your exhuast tone changed and if so did it sound better or fartier.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Banned

Ok then...maybe this will be the first time I send a vehicle somewhere else

So would it be worth the money to send it to a shop? Should I have them JUST do the headers/X-over or should I have them do the exhaust too?

I was going to be visiting a shop anyways to get an EGT bung welded on...might as well have them do it...
Old 11-30-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by kevin444
Hey mark honestly for the 600 or so spent including installation you think its worth it as far as performance goes.

Did you notice anything in the low end?

Did your exhuast tone changed and if so did it sound better or fartier.
uh-oh... it's Truth time.

Okay... looking back to when I first got 'em, I would have to say that I did enjoy the new torque on the bottom end.

Now, there may be some clouding on the timeline here, so I want to be straight about the order that stuff happened in.

The exhaust/header thing went like this:
  • I had a new cat-back exhaust installed. "Allied Meanstreak" with 3" pipe from the cat to the muffler and for the tailpipe.
  • Driving it the first hour made me cry. The truck had lost all it's power. Research showed that I shouldn't have let a G/M shop talk me into 3" pipe, it's too much for this engine.
  • The shop re-did it with 2 1/2" pipe, power came back, but the torque curve was at a higher RPM than stock. I was happy though. (and it sounded pretty damn good)
  • 5 months later, the headers went on. The torque curve moved DOWN again (pretty much at stock) and torque went UP. The exhaust tone changed a bit, but nothing dramatic.
  • 1 YEAR later (i.e., last Thursday) I installed a supercharger. Now THIS is why you really want headers. Bringing more air in means you have to get more air out. I've driven/driven with "this truck" that has an S/C and no headers. My truck's _a lot_ different. Now that I can compare the two, the difference is great enough that I couldn't imagine running an S/C without headers on the backend.
Okay... with the timeline clear, I'll give you a straight answer...

If I were to do it again, I would _NOT_ spend the money on headers unless I had an S/C in a box at home waiting to be put on.

The cost/performance ratio is just too lousy. The stock manifold is certainly quite restrictive, but unless you do something to cram more air into the engine, you really don't care. At the time I had the headers on (pre S/C) I had the ISR mod and the deckplate, so I was getting "some" more air in there but I dunno that it was enough to really see the headers do me any good.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-30-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gangus2006
Ok then...maybe this will be the first time I send a vehicle somewhere else
I hear ya'.

So would it be worth the money to send it to a shop? Should I have them JUST do the headers/X-over or should I have them do the exhaust too?
Well, how're your welding skills? If you can handle the exhaust install, then you might as well do it yourself and save the labor. But if I'm reading between-the-lines correctly, then you're probably not comfy with welding (or don't have access to the equipment) since you're looking to have them weld on an EGT bung.

Oh... sumpin' else!

The reason that the install sucks is twofold, 1) those lower bolts, and 2) getting the old crossover out 'cause it runs above the tranny and there's NO clearance to get it out.

Now beacause of that crossover routing, most header companies suggest running a crossover _below_ the tranny. The issue here is that if the shop welds on that crossover, then you're not gonna be able to drop your tranny pan. Believe me, I know. This is the 2nd thing that my local shop had to re-do. They ended making up a bolt-in piece that works out pretty well.

OH! OH! One more more thing...

If you're running an auto, then you have a kickdown cable that's currently routed up through the driver's side manifold and heads to the throttle body. MAKE SURE that it's safely routed after the headers go on. "Safely" is defined as not being pulled tight against the headers 'cause the local shop didn't know any better.

Mine melted stiff within about 20 hours of engine run time before I figured it out (the symptom was the throttle being a BEAR to push on when cold). I re-routed the cable, but it was too late... The cable was beyond hope, and needed to be swapped out.

And yes... this is how I figured out that it was a bad thing to have a welded crossover pipe underneath a tranny pan.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

Well Mark it looks your torque increase was probally from the pipe diameter reduction. As far what I feel i think its best just to match the diameter of whatever the outlet the exhuast manifold would be. So ill be keeping the stock 2.25 piping. Yeah I always wanted a straight answer from someone who had headers but not a SC cuz Im aiming for a very good non s\c truck. headers are 400 and looks like installation will be another 400 soo its probally around the $800 zone for a lousy +15 hp?

So will see im pretty anxious when it comes to more power to the truck.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:29 PM
Banned

Ive done headers/eshaust installs before. The tacoma is gonna require welding for the exhaust? Where?

I can weld (might not be the prettiest weld, but it works), but no welder...Thats why I needed the bung done. O think Im just gonna have them do the headers and Exhaust...
Old 11-30-2004, 05:46 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by midiwall

"DAMN!!! THAT SUCKED!"

"Yeup.. I told ya'!"

Good luck!
Cracked me up - I had the same experience with the fuel filter on the 22RE 85 4Runner. The mechanic (a friend of mine) called me up and said "Thanks a LOT!" and hung up. I knew what he was referring to, I had tried many times to get at that stupid thing...

The "hose" on the headers is probably referring to an air injector hose or heat riser hose or something like that. MY guess would be reed valve tubes. You should find out before you buy.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-30-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

Ive done headers/eshaust installs before. The tacoma is gonna require welding for the exhaust? Where?

I can weld (might not be the prettiest weld, but it works), but no welder...Thats why I needed the bung done. O think Im just gonna have them do the headers and Exhaust...
The Tacoma does not require welding, only the 4Runner. And that is at the Cat flange (or lack thereof) on the 4Runner. BTW, I am speaking for the Edelbrock kit only. I just ran my pipe down to the local Midas and tipped the guy $10.

The concerns with the Edelbrock install are: The stock cross-over pipe; just sawzall it off, trust me.

On the 5 speeds, the clutch slave cyl soft line runs REALLY close to the mating flange for the drivers side bank. I found that out the hard way, as it burned a hole in mine and I lost all hydraulic pressure to my clutch (pulling into my garage no less!).

One of the drivers side lower exhaust stud nuts (you'll see) took me 2 hours with a crows foot 14mm wrench, seriously.

The cross-under pipe is somewhat exposed if you do any serious wheelin. Not too bad, but enough to want me to have some kind of brace or plating under it.

The power gain for me was actually about half throttle around 3K - 4K RPM. It just seems to pull harder there. It also seems to pull harder while cruising in second gear at about 4K RPM and dropping the hammer.

I guess I would do it again given the chance. But only because I did the install. An extra $400 to install them would be a red flag for me.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by kevin444
Well Mark it looks your torque increase was probally from the pipe diameter reduction.
Yeah... a lot of it. But the I got to drive just headers and a large pipe for a while... There was more there, but not for THAT kind of money.

As far what I feel i think its best just to match the diameter of whatever the outlet the exhuast manifold would be. So ill be keeping the stock 2.25 piping.
I went with 2 1/2" versus 2 1/4" because I knew that the S/C would be coming "some day". The 1/4" extra shows its worth with the supercharger.

My decision was based on talking to other folks that have gone through this, and then the info here: http://www.torquetechexh.com/whichsize.htm

Yeah I always wanted a straight answer from someone who had headers but not a SC cuz Im aiming for a very good non s\c truck. headers are 400 and looks like installation will be another 400 soo its probally around the $800 zone for a lousy +15 hp?
Ahh... okay, with no S/C in the future then stick with 2 1/4" piping.

Sorry about misleading you. Thanks Christian for catching this one!