Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

who gets my $2000.00 cash ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who gets my $2000.00 cash ?

so here's the deal its 11:50 san diego time thurs. may 15 at 2 pm I'm going to the dealer.
my truck is in for its 90K check up and as I suspected it needs a few things;
rear main seel $760
valve cover gaskets $500
new belts $120.
90 K tune up $410 the only one I need to pay today
tranny flush $89.95

so for this much cash do I try to find a 3.4 or is that so much more I would not even want to try.
can you TAP out the rear main if you drop the oil pan.
valve covers involve removing the intake manifold, is that also not worth screwing up and paying the 500 or should I hit the books and break out the red silicone (sp)

new belts I can handle

so who gets my 2000K cash
do I go with the comfort of having the dealer do it
the fun and worry of doing it my self
or get a 3.4 for about the same 2.5k is about all I've got .

please be speedy as I'll be leaving after lunch to talk to the dealer. I would like help by 2pm pacific time sorry for the short time line but ....even if its after 2 please respond as this won't be a choice made in one day but I would like some info so I look a little smart when I go chat with the service guy.

thanks in advance

VR
REPO
Old 05-15-2003, 11:00 AM

You could get it rebuilt at a competent local shop for around that...and they would do ALL the work! Have them throw in some performance cams and do some mild head work and you'd still be around 2k give or take. I imagine a new motor from Toyota would be around +/- 5k from the dealer ...VERY expensive. I remember when I was tossing around the idea of rebuilding my 302. I found a very good mechanical shop that rebuilt engines, called FOX in Jax, FL...excellent reputation...they did everything motors from stock to all-out race engines, and quoted me 850$ if I brought them the motor. That included some mild head work, new seals, bearings, and .30 over...gl
Old 05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Hey if you can do it yourself all the more power to you!

Poway Toyota has always treated me VERY well. I posted a thread earlier where they topped off all my fluids after an oil change. I was running low on coolant... they noticed it and topped it off as well as the windshield wiper fluid and I didn't get charged extra for it.

They have my thumbs up:

Poway Toyota
1-800-325-6903

Let us know how it goes!
Old 05-15-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Poway Toyota......huh I was born in Poway.

Anyways, doing a 3.4 swap is going to cost way more than $2000. Did you have the head gasket recall on your truck? If so and it hasn't been done yet, you can get some of those things done for much cheaper. I would have the dealer do the 90K tune-up and the belts.

For the oil leaks, you may want to go and buy some stuff that you pour into your crankcase. It causes the gaskets to swell up. The two times I have used it in the past, it has dramatically reduced my oil leaks. If it still leaks pretty bad after that, then I would consider getting it fixed.

I also wouldn't try to fix something that you aren't comfortable with doing. I've been there done that. Then whenever you mess something up you don't have anyone to ask what went wrong. Then you have to mess with taking it to the dealer anyways. Not to mention you get really pissed off . In my opinion it isn't worth the headache if you don't know what you are doing.

I think you are better off trading in your truck, putting the $2K as a down payment, and getting another truck with a 3.4L if you want to get a 3.4L.

Hope this helps
Old 05-15-2003, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

I have been using kerney toyota but now I am thinking of a full rebuild from someone in san diego. I like the Idea of getting a better head job. and all the other crap would be almost included as the labor would have to be done just for the rebuild.
the clunking I have been feeling when I come to a full stop is x-tra slop in the drive shaft??? anyone have any Ideas
Old 05-15-2003, 01:58 PM

I would give SD Trux a call.
They're just off of Miramar road by that huge pyramid thing.
I've gone there a few times, and they are extremely honest and talk everything over with you.
They ONLY work on Toyota Trucks/4Runners/Landcruisers.
I was referred to them by a guy I went wheelin' with, he takes his S/C'd '99 4Runner to them for everything.
Last time I was in there they were talking to a guy about his options with a 87 4Runner, and I think he had a few of the same things that needed attention like you have, anyway he took the least expensive route just to stop the bleeding for now. But I liked how they gave him a lot of different options, and asked what were his intentions with the truck (drive it into the ground, keep it forever, etc, etc)
Also keep in mind, do you want a new truck with a payment every month for 4-5yrs or a one time payment that is equal to 3-4 months car payment?
Good Luck!
Old 05-15-2003, 02:04 PM

Rather than having a shop rebuild the slow 3.0. Get on Ebay. Buy a used 3.4L and throw that in the truck. I bet you could get an engine and install it for less than $2k.

That's what I'd do....
Old 05-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

I've seen this thread before the 3.slo to 3.4 conversion its takes some know how and cash I think the electrical needs to be upped, plus fuel lines re routed but I like the thought .
ROBT2K thanks for the info on the sd trux. always glad to say I found you through yotatech.com keeps the power of we the people and usually get better CS
thanks again... any other thoughts about:
paying the cash for the fixs (sounds foolish just typing it).
getting mine rebuilt with a little tweeking
upgrade w/ used internet 3.4???
Old 05-15-2003, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

I still have yet to go to the SD Trux shop...
looking forward to when I have time to spare