Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Who broke thier CV boots on 3rd gen lifts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who broke thier CV boots on 3rd gen lifts?

Im about to buy the revtek lift or the Daystar. but Im worried about busting the my CV boots. Has anyone expereinsed major probomes with breaking them??
Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

You don't really "break" CV boots. I think what you're talking about are the CV joints (the boots just go around the joint and retain the CV grease). As for snapping joints and such, your CV angles will be at a higher degree, but it's nothing that will mess anything up as soon as you put it on. Make sure you order the differential drop spacer with your Revtek kit, because those will help try to correct the CV angles after the lift. Have you looked at any other lift setups, such as OME and SAW's?
Old 05-06-2004, 01:52 PM

Im basicly looking for somthing thats fairly cheap. Im not gonna do to much off roading, Im just like the look. The basic question is what damage have people suffered from using the daystar or the revtek.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

I noticed a few very strange occurances after installing my lift. I was able to go over somewhat larger obstacles, clear larger tires, and make it a PITA for my elder relatives to get in.

I tore a boot and threw grease everywhere. But that's it. I had it replaced at a reputable driveline shop here in Colorado from $150. They replaced the whole axle assembly since the boot decided to relieve the CV of all its grease.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Alot of folks have experienced "burbing" of CV grease right after a lift, but as long as you address this right away (and also get an alignment after you've had your lift on for a couple hundred miles) you shouldn't have any problems.

After I lifted mine, I had leaking on the in-board CV at the small end of the axle shaft on the passenger side. I replaced the clamps with a 'universal CV boot clamp kit' from Autozone. It was only about $4-5 and contained one lagre and one small clamp. I used the loan-a-tool clamp pliers they had and it went on pretty easy. While I had the clamps off, I re-packed the joint with new grease. This only takes an hour or so to do and will give you peace of mind.

If you are looking for a lift on a budget, check out and search the classifieds. Myself included (shameless plug) there are several front and rear coil spacers for sale. There may even be a set or two of used coils.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Are you doing a body or suspension lift, because you mentioned daystar and to my knowledge they mainly make body lifts. If that's the case a body lift will not affect your suspension at all since it only raises the body off of the frame and not the suspension or any suspension components. Also if you're going with a body lift I would try a Roger Brown body lift, he is a friend of the board and deals a lot with Toyota's and probably has a kit specifically for your truck. Let us know more and we can help you out.

Last edited by Jonathan; 05-06-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan
Are you doing a body or suspension lift, because you mentioned daystar and to my knowledge they mainly make body lifts. If that's the case a body lift will not affect your suspension at all since it only raises the body off of the frame and not the suspension or any suspension components. Also if you're going with a body lift I would try a Roger Brown body lift, he is a friend of the board and deals a lot with Toyota's and probably has a kit specifically for your truck. Let us know more and we can help you out.
Daystar also makes urethane coil spacers.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:13 PM

Tore one of my cv boots 3 days after installing my Revtek. Put a new axel on and tore that one within 6 months. The other side is still the original.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

400 miles on my OME 882's and no leakage or tears. YET. Though it hasn't been aligned.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Daystar also makes urethane coil spacers.
Thanks Alan, I'm idiot :pat: I knew that, I guess I was having a brain fart. I just got done with exams so if I make any more stupid comments I'll just chalk it up to the lost brain cells spent on stdying
Old 05-06-2004, 04:46 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah i ripped my driver side about 6months after the revtek lift and with the diff drop kit too, I just recently ripped the other side now so I still need to get this one fixed (about a year latter from time of lift), last one I just had the whole axle replaced. Guess for a lift you got to expect more wear and tear plus the boots were almost 5 years old so I think it was time for them to go anyhows
Old 05-06-2004, 06:53 PM

I installed the Revtech coil spacer lift on my 3rd Gen., and was absolutly suprised by the performance off road. I was figuring that the kit would do ok off road, but it has hung in there with all my abuse. A small amount of axle grease leaked from the outter portion of the outter boots, but replacing the OME clamps with stronger hose clamps solved the problem to this day. Not a lot of people would recomend the Revtech lift, especially for off road, but it has been over a year with lots of off road, crawl'n, and street driving with not a hint of a problem (knock on wood)
Perhaps I am lucky, but for the price, ease of intallation, and all the fun I have had, it was well worth it. Thumbs up for the Revtech lift.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:15 PM

All in all it is just a matter of luck. New axels run $100, but as I said before those POS boots from the new axel only lasted 6 months. I finally ended up getting the Mechtech boots. They are easy to install and so far have worked great. By the way I also have the diff drop.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:22 PM

SAW lift here, tore my boots once but that was before ORS Manual hub kit.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:31 AM

Being stuck here in Hawaii doesnt leave you to many options when buying kits. So few places to buy them. And thoes that sell them charge you a arm and a leg to install them. The only reason that Im looking at lifts is that Im rubbing on my feders with my new rim and tire combo. 16x8 Extreme bead locks with 265/70/r16 BG goodrich A/t KOs. When ever I take a drive way a little to fast it rubs. And its irking to me. I hate rubbing. I gonna lift sometime soon. I cant think of any way to stop the rubbing. I don't wanna shave the body trims down.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
Being stuck here in Hawaii doesnt leave you to many options when buying kits. So few places to buy them. And thoes that sell them charge you a arm and a leg to install them. The only reason that Im looking at lifts is that Im rubbing on my feders with my new rim and tire combo. 16x8 Extreme bead locks with 265/70/r16 BG goodrich A/t KOs. When ever I take a drive way a little to fast it rubs. And its irking to me. I hate rubbing. I gonna lift sometime soon. I cant think of any way to stop the rubbing. I don't wanna shave the body trims down.
If you just have minor rubbing with 265's you should really look into a 1" body lift. It won't change any of your suspension components and should be more than enough clearance for 265/70's. A lot of guy run 265/75's with little to no rubbing without a lift at all, so a 1" body lift should cure your problem. As I said before Roger Brown makes body lifts for 3rd Gens and he makes them right, so if I were you that is what I would do. Not sure about shipping that to Hawaii, but it's not a huge box so it might not cost to terribly much. Good luck.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:37 PM

anyone know how hard it is to install a 1 inch body lift. And will the ride change?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

anyone know how hard it is to install a 1 inch body lift. And will the ride change?
I have no idea how long it takes. But I am positive the ride will not change because it has nothing to do with the suspension. I'm just confused why you have rubbing. I ran 265/75/16's on a worn out stock suspension without a problem.

The lift will raise your center of gravity by one inch, but I don't see that as a problem.
Old 05-07-2004, 07:51 PM

Its weird my new rims are a inch wider than before. Its doesnt rub constantly, but if I take a driveway wrond it rubs on the inner fender well where it meets the running board flap. Pretty much nothing I can do but lift. What websites give the best prices on the lifts. I dont want anything to big thats gonna cause problomes with the CV boots. Any recomendations? I want OME but the prices seem high, where can I get the fronts for cheap? what the reecomdations for the rears? And with the OME suspesions, where did you guys pick up the diff drop for the front. just a reminder that my truck it 2wd. Thanks for the help
Old 05-07-2004, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Its weird my new rims are a inch wider than before. Its doesnt rub constantly, but if I take a driveway wrond it rubs on the inner fender well where it meets the running board flap. Pretty much nothing I can do but lift. What websites give the best prices on the lifts. I dont want anything to big thats gonna cause problomes with the CV boots. Any recomendations? I want OME but the prices seem high, where can I get the fronts for cheap? what the reecomdations for the rears? And with the OME suspesions, where did you guys pick up the diff drop for the front. just a reminder that my truck it 2wd. Thanks for the help
OME is great, I have it. I love it. Get it from Mike at Xtreme Off-Road. Mike is a super great guy, you'll be happy you purchased from him.

http://www.xtremeoff-road.com/produc...unner_kits.htm

Get the diff drop from Roger Brown http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

Last edited by User 051420; 05-07-2004 at 07:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Who broke thier CV boots on 3rd gen lifts?