Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Whining troubleshoot (97 3.4)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whining troubleshoot (97 3.4)

Rather than resurrect several dead threads I wanted to consolidate these separate issues into one thread. This is the part of the trail that started it all

Now it stalled coming out, jump started the starter and was able to get towed the last couple inches to gain traction. Was able to drive it back home the 50 miles with the check engine light on but would stall at idle and run really groggy. It was throwing 4 generic cel's but decided I'd get them rechecked after the next day's maintenance.

Yesterday I took the intake and airbox out, cleaned both, cleaned the MAF, cleaned the throttle body, new air filter...confirmed no water made it past the intake, a rotten seal on the air tube allowed enough water to get in the airbox to trash my air filter.

While I was at it I gave a really generous...maybe overly generous...scrub down of simple green, with the intake and airbox out I admit i was probably lackadaisical in my spraying of chemical and water, may have shot it in the wrong places but did tape off the throttle opening as well as open hoses from everything being dismantled. Started it up and voila no more stalling. But idle went really high and there is a very loud whining noise, seems to be coming from the driver side of the engine towards the front.

Maybe whine isn't the best word but its obnoxiously loud like its never been. Anyways, double checked hoses, the ones going into the intake are getting old and the tips don't look like they provide a good seal. The pcv hose tip is also deteriorating and with the truck on I took it off the valve where I saw the inside was really black. However, pulling off and putting on the hose made its own noises, but it was unrelated to the noise thats still persisting.

Anyways, assembled everything again, fired it up like I said started a lot better but CEL came on. Went to AutoZone and found P0172 (System too rich , bank 1) and P0107 (MAF/VAF). Had her clear the codes assuming if the problem was legitimate the same CEL's would surface. Drove it last night and this morning with the same annoyances but no check engine. Its at the muffler shop getting a new one beause the Vortex cracked big time (don't know if it was before or after the dive) but am trying to diagnose this. I am considering replacing the o2 sensor and if its not too expensive just getting a new pcv valve (price anyone?).

Sorry for the long post, have a long time to think about this all while I'm waiting for the truck.

Read the mass of other threads I can say the idle is buggy but I haven't noticed a power loss really, just not running as smoothly as I'd like. Trying to cover the basics for anyone willing to jump in on this one

EDIT:

Got the truck back with the Magnaflow muffler. The throttle feels a lot better and it seems like this noise is the only problem now....no CEL yet. I got a video of the noise you should be able to hear it, maybe I can just hear it better because I know what I'm listening for, but let me know what you think? It was whining towards the end of the trip too?

Last edited by MillerPKA; 02-15-2010 at 08:26 AM.