Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where Do I Get the ISR Mod Pipe?

Exhaust shop? Thanks guys.

Matt
Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM

Yup

That's where I went Matt. Show them what you're doing and then tell them you want a 2.5" exhaust pipe and want it expanded to about 2.7" so it fits snugly. They should be able to help you out once you show them what you're doing. Check out the mod write-up and get the length right. When I did mine we just did trial and error until the pipe fit snugly. The place I went to didn't have plain raw steel, only the exhaust tips that are chrome-plated on the outside, raw on the inside. I had it powder coated at a local industrial powder-coating place and their minumum charge was $100 so I got that part done free. It worked out nicely! There was a big boost in torque when I first put it in, then the ECU adjusted a bit so it has lost some of the oomph. Try to spin the wheels when you first get it done. I was impressed when I did that!

Zach
Old 06-12-2003, 02:05 AM
Away

You can also use 2.5" ID PVC Electrical Conduit pipe. It's about $8 for 10 feet at Home Depot. It's the perfect size and several people have used exactly this material. It holds up to the underhood temperatures just fine. The smallest length you can buy is 10 feet however, but you can use the extra for your friends!

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 06-12-2003, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
That's an awesome idea, don't have to hunt down a muffler shop to get the pipe made!
Old 06-12-2003, 06:27 AM

Modified ISR Mod

I just got done doing mine last night. I did the modified ISR mod that had been posted earlier, where I used the original angled rubber intake hose and coupled that to a 3" PVC pipe which then joined to the airbox/MAF unit through a 3" to 2" rubber reducer. It seems to "breathe" easier and the rpm's appear to be lower but I didn't have that huge of torque increase that White_SR5 mentions though.

The connection of the original angled intake to the 3" to 3" union is questionable......the original rubber intake is only ~2.5" and cranking down on the union crushed the stainless hose clamp body of the union. In order to get the truck running, I used a temporary fix of wrapping electrical tape around the rubber intake tube in order to increase its outer diameter so it would tightly fit into the 3" union. It fits but in order to get it to seal tightly so it doesn't pop off (and ingest large objects floating around in my engine compartment ) I had to crank down pretty good on the hose clamps on the union....crushing the union slightly. My main concern however,besides asthetics, is whether the electrical tape will hold up under the high temp conditions.....I know that the adhesive will turn to a greasy liquid under elevated temps and I don't want that to act as a lubricant to cause the hose to slip out of the union......then I really will have to worry about it ingesting large objects floating around in there.

I like the sound that the mod makes (I also drilled out the airbox ).....it sounds like I am running an old carburated engine using the old street racing trick of flipping the filter housing lid upside down.....it makes a nice mellow burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise under acceleration.

Dr.Z (and Blu), thanks for your advice on this mod.

David
Old 06-12-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did this on FunRunner's 1999 rig yesterday.

We ended up using 2" PVC (not a misprint) and a pair of 2" _couplers_. The OD of the coupler fits very nicely in the hoses. I used a 2" piece of PVC to join the two couplers. I ground down the "ridges" in the couplers and flared the ends of the PVC so that there were no hard ridges to mess with the airflow.

FunRunner didn't get a chance to really drive it yesterday (we had my sliders to paint!) so I don't have any feedback on the work.

But I love it on mine!
Old 06-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Dumb question, but how long should I leave the EFI fuse out for?
Old 06-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
Dumb question, but how long should I leave the EFI fuse out for?
15min. But that's debateable.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
15min. But that's debateable.
I didn't do this but was letting the computer change as I drive. Does pulling the EFI fuse make a big difference? Maybe that's why I didn't get that "tire smoking" difference.

David
Old 06-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Memphis4X4
I didn't do this but was letting the computer change as I drive. Does pulling the EFI fuse make a big difference? Maybe that's why I didn't get that "tire smoking" difference.

David
It's a big mystery that no one has been able to scientifically prove. So, I just do it out of habit.

But you didnt do anything wrong, like you said, the computer will eventually learn the new mod anyway.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Memphis4X4
Maybe that's why I didn't get that "tire smoking" difference.

David
I'm not trying to bust on you or anything, but you have a 3.0, right? Thats the main reason you didn't notice alot of performance increase. For the cost of this mod, its worth doing and it does help the 3.0 some, but its not as noticable as in the 3.4...
Old 06-12-2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by loosehead
I'm not trying to bust on you or anything, but you have a 3.0, right? Thats the main reason you didn't notice alot of performance increase. For the cost of this mod, its worth doing and it does help the 3.0 some, but its not as noticable as in the 3.4...
Trust me, I know about the 3.0 not being the quickest.....I've lived with it for over 12 years. That's why I own a another car that provides that. I just was busting myself on the fact that there is no tire smoking result......it's just 'peppier" and sounds more fierce. It's a lot like checking the sound package box on a Porsche order form.....you get no real hp gain, you just sound better doing it.

David
Old 06-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

What about the "T"? Is that a Home Depot type item or an Advanced Auto Parts type item?

Matt
Old 06-12-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LSUMatt1514
What about the "T"? Is that a Home Depot type item or an Advanced Auto Parts type item?
The "T" for the vacuum line? That's from an autoparts store.
Old 06-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Anyone know what size the replacement hose is for this mod on the 2002? Mine is an '01 but I looked at my setup and after reading Paul's writeup on it for the '02 I think I am going to have to do it that way. He references a NAPA part number in his writeup, but all the NAPAs are closed here for the night. Anyone know what ID or OD that hose is? Later.

Matt
Old 06-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

One more guys.....What size hose and type of hose did Dr. Z use to replace the line going from the air box to the EVAP? Thanks.

Matt
Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

I found a difference in the mod for the 2001 5VZ-FE engine and the FPR hose. There is no hose coming around the front of the manifold as there is in the 2000 model. There is only the FPR hose going straight from the fitting just under the throttle body to the silencer box. Do this instead:

1. Remove the rubber cap from the fitting located on the front of the intake manifold;

2. Remove the hose from the silencer box.
NOTE: the hose won't fit snuggly on the manifold because the hose has been stretched out from the fitting on the silencer box.
3. Cut approx. 1" of the hose off so that you eliminate the stretched out part. You will still have plenty of hose left.
4. Hook the hose onto the manifold fitting.

That's all there is to it. No "T" fittings, no extra hoses. The hose just upstream of the MAF I clipped onto an empty hose clip just under the old silencer area.

Sorry I don't have any pics, but will post them tomorrow.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

I also took Dr. Z's advice and used the 2-1/2" ID PVC conduit pipe and it's a perfect fit. Painted it with BBQ grill enamel and it looks OEM. Sounds good too, especially with the Deck Plate mod.

Got the PVC at Home Depot here in Denver but they are discontinuing them, so they're on clearance for $1.00 for a 10' section of pipe; they don't sell them any smaller and they won't cut it. And Lowe's doesn't carry that size. Now I have 9-1/2' of PVC pipe in my garage that I won't use so I'm going to give it away to anyone interested in doing this mod that's in the Denver Metro area. I'll even cut it to the right length if you want just a small piece, or one lucky person can have the whole thing! Just email me if you're interested.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks RWMorrisonJr. How do ya'll know where to hook these vacuum hoses? I mean, you're like the third different option for hooking up or re-rigging these vacuum hoses. Is there any advantage to one over another? How do ya'll know that each of these is as effective as the OEM configuration?
I got the 2 1/2" PVC tonight at Home Depot and painted it. It's drying as we speak. Any oh yeah. I've also got about 9 1/2' of it that I don't need so if anyone here in B'ham wants to do it they are more than welcome to cut off a chunk. Wasn't on clearance here. It was $8 like Dr. Z said. Later.

Matt
Old 06-12-2003, 08:14 PM

FPR

Matt, rwmorrisonjr is right on about the 2001 being different than those in the write-up. There wasn't a hose coming from the intake manifold on my 2001-- it wascapped off-- so all I had to do was clip 1" from the end of the FPR hose to make it fit snugly and then attach it to the intake manifold. You shouldn't need a "T" nor even any extra hose, just use the one that's already there.

Zach

Quick Reply: Where Do I Get the ISR Mod Pipe?