wheel studs - YotaTech Forums


Go Back   > >


95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

wheel studs

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 2
wheel studs

can anyone tell me how to replace the wheel studs, I have a 99 tacoma prerunner 2wd. Thanks
ellzzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
Contributing Member
 
keisur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,377
front or back?
[list=1][*]Take a ball pien hammer and knock out the old one[*]Insert the new one[*]Put 2 or 3 thick zinc washers on[*]Thread on an old lug nut[*]Using an Air Impact Wrench, or a socket on a long breaker bar, torque the nut down to pull the stud into the hole[/list=1]

it is much easier with an impact wrench, just make sure you have somebody either stand on the breaks or put the tranny in 1st gear so the hub doesn't turn if it's the rear.

Last edited by keisur; 10-13-2003 at 09:56 AM.
keisur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:32 AM   #3
Contributing Member
 
Jonathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Greenville, South Carolina
Posts: 1,733
And make sure you get the stud all the way through and secure, but yeah Keisur pretty much covered it. Very simple fix.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Registered User
 
hypnotoad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NY State
Posts: 58
I thought you had to be careful of the hubs, so using a hammer wasn't a good idea. Long ago I cobbed together a vise of sorts and pressed it out. I think you can rent a similar kind of press - maybe at AutoZone?
hypnotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:09 PM   #5
Contributing Member
 
keisur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally posted by hypnotoad
I think you can rent a similar kind of press - maybe at AutoZone?
Nope, I checked there when I rebuilt my rear axles. They don't have anything, or at least the people there were too stupid to understand what I was asking them,

You don't have to worry about anything with the hammer because it doesn't take much to knock them out, especially with a ball pien hammer. just don't use a mini sledge or anything because that would transfer alot of the impact to the hub, the ball pien is more of an instant impact that is absorbed mostly by the stud since the hammer is light. it took maybe to good whacks with my ball pien and they slipped out. I did, however, thread an old lug nut on about half way so I didn't marr the threads incase I found a use for the old studs, .
keisur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 07:14 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Erich_870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 989
Thats how the guy did it when I snaped one off putting my tires back on after installing my add-a-leaf.

I have a question about taking off the drum for the rear brakes on my 1st gen. I thought some one told me about pressing the brake or something to free it up so it will just pull it off. The kid at the tire place I took it to pounded all over it with a 3 pound sledge. I cringed, but couldn't remember exactly what the trick was. I don't think he hit it hard enough to damage it, but I'm right.... right? It just seems to me pounding on something that needs to stay round is not a good idea.

Anyone have the answer?
Erich_870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:10 AM   #7
Contributing Member
 
keisur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally posted by Erich_870
Thats how the guy did it when I snaped one off putting my tires back on after installing my add-a-leaf.

I have a question about taking off the drum for the rear brakes on my 1st gen. I thought some one told me about pressing the brake or something to free it up so it will just pull it off. The kid at the tire place I took it to pounded all over it with a 3 pound sledge. I cringed, but couldn't remember exactly what the trick was. I don't think he hit it hard enough to damage it, but I'm right.... right? It just seems to me pounding on something that needs to stay round is not a good idea.

Anyone have the answer?
there are two threaded holes near the center hole on the drums. I believe they are M10x1.25 or maybe M10x1.5 You can go to the store and get two of each bolts so you have them and then you screw them in if the drum is stuck and they will basically press your drum off. You could also open the adjuster access slot in the backing plate and back the adjuster off to loosen the shoe's grip.
keisur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 10:11 AM   #8
CTB
Registered User
 
CTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: SC
Posts: 1,218
Quote:
Originally posted by keisur
there are two threaded holes near the center hole on the drums. I believe they are M10x1.25 or maybe M10x1.5 You can go to the store and get two of each bolts so you have them and then you screw them in if the drum is stuck and they will basically press your drum off. You could also open the adjuster access slot in the backing plate and back the adjuster off to loosen the shoe's grip.
Yep, that's how you do it.

Oh ya, just to be sure, make sure you don't have your parking brake on!!!
CTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #9
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moorpark, CA
Posts: 2
parking break!

thanks for that last tip, I was trying to get the drum off with the park brake on, (failed). Took the parking brake off and the drum came off easily.Thanks for your help homies, word!
ellzzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 05:55 AM   #10
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,315
Who has replacement hardened wheel studs?

Or who has the best price for wheel studs in general?

At the dealer's here they want over $9.00 each what a ripoff!

The best price I've found so far is for a set of 6 for $21.71, but for a Land Crusier....

If not, when I get a chance I'll see if I can get ARP to make them.
BruceTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #11
Contributing Member
 
keisur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally posted by BruceTS
Who has replacement hardened wheel studs?

Or who has the best price for wheel studs in general?

At the dealer's here they want over $9.00 each what a ripoff!

The best price I've found so far is for a set of 6 for $21.71, but for a Land Crusier....

If not, when I get a chance I'll see if I can get ARP to make them.
order them online, I paid only about 3.50 each for them from www.1sttoyotaparts.com
keisur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #12
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,315
Seems like they don't have wheel studs, I'll get the factory part # and try again..

What I'd really like are hardened studs.....
BruceTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:48 PM   #13
Contributing Member
 
keisur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,377
Quote:
Originally posted by BruceTS
Seems like they don't have wheel studs, I'll get the factory part # and try again..

What I'd really like are hardened studs.....
I think your dealer is ripping you off, what I do is call around to diff. dealerships and ask for internet pricing, if they won't then I move on to the next or I order online. These are 4WD designation studs:

Front: {Dealership Price}
90942-02049 $2.92 {$2.16 @ 1st Toyota}

Rear: {Dealership price}
90942-02052 (96-00) $4.77 {$3.54 @ 1st Toyota}
90942-02079 (01-02) $4.37 {$3.25 @ 1st Toyota}
keisur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head Gasket job 90 4 runner 3.0 vze 6 point head bolts size? kgcwb44 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) 2 02-28-2016 05:00 AM
Cv axle hardware question yoder519 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2 08-17-2015 07:12 AM
bolt snapped in blind hole in header accuracy 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 9 08-06-2015 12:32 PM
22re fan clutch issue need help upongame619 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 5 08-01-2015 12:12 AM
88 3vze: need diameter and pitch of threaded holes on the side of the head whereAreMyPants 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2 07-22-2015 03:32 AM


Tags
10x125, 4runner, 9094202052, 9094202079, arp, change, extended, hub, longer, part, replace, stud, studs, tacoma, tire, toyota, wheel

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:07 PM.


2010 InternetBrands, Inc.