Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's it worth?

Hey everyone, I have come to the point where I have to make a tough call on weather or not to sell my 4Runner. Here's what it's got:
89 4runner DLX 3.0 V6 5 speed, about 184,000 miles . Downey headers and 2.5" exaust system, Downey extended A-arm/ long travel 3"suspension lift, 1" body lift, downey long travel front axels, new Downey 28mm torsion bars, fiber-glass flared fenders, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite electric fan, 33" BFG AT's on black steel wheels, Warn manual hubs, heads ported, polished, shaved and 3 point valve job 10,000 miles ago, new clutch last month, ARB Bull Bar, home made steel rear bumper, new paint last Feburary, interior is in very good condition w/ new carpet 2 years ago and everything intact. Also has Tuffy lock bax installed along with Grant sigiture steering wheel. Sony CD player and infinity speakers in factory locations. Runs great and does not leak or burn oil. Could use new power stearing pump, but everything else on it works and is in great shape (including AC)... Could go on, but you get the point. Just wanted to know how much I should be asking for it. I have an idea of what I would be willing to sell it for, just wanted to see if I am being reasonable. Also, this 4runner has not been 4wheeled since I have owned it over the past 2.5 years. It is my daily driver, has been well cared for and everything on it is tight and clean (though it could use a good wash in the pic).

Thanks in advance, Vince
Attached Thumbnails What's it worth?-4runner.jpg  
Old 12-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Banned

honestly, its worth whatever someone buys it for or whatever you sell it for... over the internet there is no real way for anyone to guage what your vehicle is worth.. there are jsut too many variables.. an important one, that was described and is generally overlooked is geographical location... where i live in nor*cal everything is more expensive then otehr parts of the country, the vehicle makeup and culture of the people is also so diverse... no if you lived in some small mountain town with rich kids that want a great truck to go wheeling with that would changet the situation easily..... you migth want to look at edmunds or kelly blue book... and hten figure on not too much more... the problem is people nowadays genrally dont want a 15 year old lifted truck....
Old 12-31-2004, 01:26 PM

Hope you get whatever your price ends up being. One more thing. Shame on you for this quote.
Originally Posted by 1stgeneration89
Also, this 4runner has not been 4wheeled since I have owned it over the past 2.5 years.
You gotta let em get a little dirt under the tires. Sounds like a good rig. You shouldn't have any trobl;e getting your price.

jim
Old 01-01-2005, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. I know what you are saying about it only being worth what someone is willing to pay. I never woried about return on investment because I always thought I would be keeping it forever, which is also the reason I never 4wheeled it . I planned on 4wheeling it when I got another car to drive around. You know how things can break on the trail on the weekend and then you are riding your bike to work on Monday. Anyway, lucky for me I just moved to Boone, NC where the are plenty of college kids with seemingly unlimited access to mom and dad's bank account. I guess I will just post an advertisement and see how it goes.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey everyone, I have come to the point where I have to make a tough call on weather or not to sell my 4Runner. Here's what it's got:
89 4runner DLX 3.0 V6 5 speed, about 184,000 miles . Downey headers and 2.5" exaust system, Downey extended A-arm/ long travel 3"suspension lift, 1" body lift, downey long travel front axels, new Downey 28mm torsion bars, fiber-glass flared fenders, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite electric fan, 33" BFG AT's on black steel wheels, Warn manual hubs, heads ported, polished, shaved and 3 point valve job 10,000 miles ago, new clutch last month, ARB Bull Bar, home made steel rear bumper, new paint last Feburary, interior is in very good condition w/ new carpet 2 years ago and everything intact. Also has Tuffy lock bax installed along with Grant sigiture steering wheel. Sony CD player and infinity speakers in factory locations. Runs great and does not leak or burn oil. Could use new power stearing pump, but everything else on it works and is in great shape (including AC)... Could go on, but you get the point. Just wanted to know how much I should be asking for it. I have an idea of what I would be willing to sell it for, just wanted to see if I am being reasonable. Also, this 4runner has not been 4wheeled since I have owned it over the past 2.5 years. It is my daily driver, has been well cared for and everything on it is tight and clean (though it could use a good wash in the pic).

Thanks in advance, Vince
as everyone else is saying its really hard to say the value of a car with only a pic and over the internet..are you planning on selling anything off of the truck before you sell it?..maybe your pullbar and bumper?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 89macrunner
as everyone else is saying its really hard to say the value of a car with only a pic and over the internet..are you planning on selling anything off of the truck before you sell it?..maybe your pullbar and bumper?
I wish I had the time or the old parts. It is going to have to go as a whole. I am thinking about putting up some more pics to give a better idea of the shape it's in. I am planning on washing it this afternoon...should get some pics up after that. I am thinking if I can't get at least 6,00 for it I am going to keep it live poor (or poorer) for a while. I know that may be a little high, but I have put so much more into it and it runs and drives great.

Last edited by 1stgeneration89; 01-02-2005 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Just moved to Boone? Lucky.....

Make sure to eat at the Boone Bagelry and Woodruff's over in Blowing Rock as often as possible. Have someone show you the Valle Crucis road, Sam's (or is it Howard's?) Knob, the back way to Watauga Lake via Sugar Grove and the Woolly Worm Festival in Banner Elk next October. Enjoy a cold one on the deck at Tumbleweeds in April and despite what the late Charles Kuralt suggested, NEVER order the BBQ sandwich from the restaurant on top of Grandfather Mountain.

Also try to squeeze in a Fri or Sat night run over to Johnson City, TN (about 45 mins) if you're looking for a lady friend. ETSU ladies have less body hair and more heteros than ASU girls. 321 from Boone to Blowing Rock had the highest rate of DUI arrests in the nation awhile back, (this was when Boone was a dry town) but still watch out if you head over to the Speckled Trout for dinner and drinks. Revel in the Highcountry and enjoy being out of Cha-Cha traffic!

Oh, and you're 4Runner is worth about $2500-$3000, sorry. But don't feel bad. 4 out of 5 people on this board and others, have far more invested in their 4x4's than they are actually worth....
Old 01-02-2005, 11:20 AM

Hey Bagger, thanks for the tips. I will check some of those places out. Where do you live? Sounds like you know your way around NC pretty well. I am happy to get out of Charlotte and not just to escape the traffic. What a rat race. Though I will miss some aspects of Charlotte, it is nice to be some place new.
And on the price, I know what your saying but I'm sure your price is low. Have you looked on ebay or autotrader.com lately. Man, 3,000 would be a steel!

Last edited by 1stgeneration89; 01-02-2005 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:44 PM

A realistic price, from what I've seen in the midwest, would be in the 3000-3500 range. Maybe closer to 4K, but that's gonna be pushing it for anyone who "knows" built trucks. What's gonna hurt you is that it's a DLX and not an SR5.

The market for built trucks sucks - I have 22K into mine, and it's still sitting in the garage - can't seem to sell it for $.30 on the dollar... Good luck with the sale - it looks like a good daily driver.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome, Glad to see another NCer!

I definately want to have a winter run up there while there is some snow. I'll let you know if we have a meet up there. I'm sure my friends from school will want to do a ski trip and they all beg me to take them wheeling so I'll let you know if we make it up. If you ever get the urge to go wheeling pm ASU4runner. If hes not busy he'll probably go with you.

Sorry you want to sell your rig. It looks like a great one. I'm sure someone will take it off your hands. Ask high and see what happens, the 1st gens are getting more and more desireable. Plus its white, the best color ever! You'd fit right in, in our club!

Last edited by turboale; 01-02-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:56 PM

Hey thanks for the invite man. My girfriend is actually from Asheville. Just got back from spending Christmas up there with her folks. That's a nice group of Yotas. If I don't have any luck selling it I will be up for some wheeling soon. I just got a car to drive around and I won't be using the 4Runner as my daily driver anymore. I will let you guys know the next time I will be out that way.

Last edited by 1stgeneration89; 01-02-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:07 PM

Hey Rockota, I checked out your truck. If you haven't sold yours for $8,000, I don't think there is anyway I am getting the 6,000 I would want for my 4Runner, at least not in the same market. Your truck is sweet, sorry to read the story behind why your selling it. Hope things go better for you.

Last edited by 1stgeneration89; 01-02-2005 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:45 PM

Hey Bagger, thanks for the tips. I will check some of those places out. Where do you live? Sounds like you know your way around NC pretty well. I am happy to get out of Charlotte and not just to escape the traffic. What a rat race. Though I will miss some aspects of Charlotte, it is nice to be some place new.
And on the price, I know what your saying but I'm sure your price is low. Have you looked on ebay or autotrader.com lately. Man, 3,000 would be a steel!
Oops! Meant to say "in my area...", a 4Runner would bring about $3K. I'm fairly close to Salt Lake City, and in Utah they are neck deep in Yota's. I think it's much nicer than that with the fiberglass fenders, front ARB and 33" BFG's, etc. I like the interior too, especially the Tuffy console.

I was born and raised in NC. My older sis attended ASU in '82 and I followed in '88. Sis now lives in Charlotte, (Mint Hill) and I live in Wyoming, south of Yellowstone National Park. Loved the mountains and snow in Boone so much that I moved out west 10 years ago for more of both. Hope you got to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville back to Boone, I think it's the most scenic part of the whole parkway.

* FWIW, the really, really rich kids attend Lees-McRae up in Banner Elk...
Old 01-03-2005, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Thats not all of them, but those are some of the white ones, Click the 4RocNC link in my sig and you can see more about the club. Eventhough your getting ready to leave us!! I'm not sure about the market in boone these days but every other truck is lifted so the people there know whats up, the only problem is that they are mostly heeps. There are some fun trails to play on though. Man, I can't wait to get back up there.... Its in the 70s here already and thurs the high is 78!