Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's a reasonable price for this particular WELD/FABjob? Cud I be gettin 'jipped'?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's a reasonable price for this particular WELD/FABjob? Cud I be gettin 'jipped'?

I own a 96' 4runner and I'm having this guy do three things:

1)Weld a pair rock sliders (from 4xinnovations.com) directly to my frame. (doesn't seem like to hard of a job if you're experienced).

2)Plasma cut my stock tire carrier off my frame and reweld it up 3 inches higher to offset my 3 inch bodylift (he will most likely reinforce it a little).

3)Weld the rear portion of my stock tow package to the end of my frame. (I took apart my tow package and realized it could be done now that the frame is exposed due to the 3" bodylift).

---
The guy quoted me at $375 and the work will take him an estimated 2 days. Keep in mind he really isn't furnishing much material except for the welding material.

The guy knows what he's doing (I was referred to him by an acquintance w/ a 95ish tacoma with nice custom front and rear tube bumpers done by him).

Please let me know what you guy's think.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Drive up here, I'll do it for $350
Old 05-30-2009, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Drive up here, I'll do it for $350
350..... pesos!
Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Eh, i think its a little stiff, depending on how much fab he has to do..

id say thats about 250..But im not experienced enough to make a call on what it should cost so take that with a grain of salt..

Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta wonder how much of that work will be done on a lift with it over-head. Might be a PITA fee, I've heard that welding over-head flat out blows. But I'm also in scuba's boat, I really don't know much about it.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by The Ruckus
. Might be a PITA fee, I've heard that welding over-head flat out blows.
It is, You have to have done it alot to get used to it, More then regular welding..
At least thats how I am..

Old 05-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jvh4513
350..... pesos!
350 Texas beers
Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 AM

To me, $375 doesn't sound to bad - especially for two days worth of work...

I spent yesterday with a fabricator building a custom bed rack for my taco. Actual 'welding' time is nominal - it's the time taken to get everything 'just right' that is what consumes the day...

I just can't drop my truck off at a shop and leave it up to the fabricator. Because the finished project only exists in my mind, it is important (to me) that I'm present... Plus I get to learn by watching - Heh, maybe today I'll even get to lay down a bead.

Back to your post - $200 a day (+ materials) seems quite fair to me. Maybe less if I'm not there to ask the dumb questions and get in the way...

Now if you don't mind a slight hijack to your thread: You have the factory swing-a-way tire carrier? By any chance could you snap a picture of the internal bracing in the passenger rear corner - where the carrier bolts through the sheetmetal above and below the tailight?

Good luck with your project!
Old 05-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
He was talking about the spare tire carrier under the body of his 4Runner. 96 4Runners never had a swinging spare tire carrier.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
It is an accurate quotation for the amount of hours involved. If he isn't making money, it isn't worth his time when he could be doing something else and making money.

$375 is more than fair

Old 05-30-2009, 06:28 PM

The other thing here is, if you argue now, you could get a little lower price, but next time you need something done, you are probably going to pay for it. Most of the fab guys i know will start to cut you better deals, and even do some smaller jobs for nothing after you have established that you are going to be a good repeat customer.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ruckus
Gotta wonder how much of that work will be done on a lift with it over-head. Might be a PITA fee, I've heard that welding over-head flat out blows. But I'm also in scuba's boat, I really don't know much about it.
Welding overhead does suck but it should not affect the price, part of a fabricator's job is to use whatever skill he/she has to get the job done for their normal wage regardless of the weld position or any other variables

jvh4513: Your price quote sounds pretty fair, that's not a lot of welding but there is some time involved and a fabricator's time is expensive

Last edited by algranger; 05-30-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
It is not that bad of a price. Adam sends all the slider legs the same length. There is a lot of measuring, fitting, cutting and repeating of those steps to get it right.
My Brother in law welded on my sliders for free and you can kind of tell it was a free job but you can tell...they work though.

you, as the consumer, can call around and see what other bid prices you can get. Yellow pages.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Stick_Figure
The other thing here is, if you argue now, you could get a little lower price, but next time you need something done, you are probably going to pay for it. Most of the fab guys i know will start to cut you better deals, and even do some smaller jobs for nothing after you have established that you are going to be a good repeat customer.
x2 - treat your fabricator better than you treat your wife/girlfriend
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
seems like a fair price.

Slider weld on portion alone would be $75-100 at a competent shop here in my metro area.

Get other quotes and then you will have a more accurate local comparison. If he is the one and only guy that can do this kind of work near you then it is a good price.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
On the DIY sliders where you have to measure and cut the legs, weld on the scab plates, weld on the legs at the proper angle/location...takes at least 3 hours to do it right. It isn't worth my time for less than $150, flat out. That is a known entity.

All the other stuff this guy is doing for you is flat out custom work so the price is right.

Repeat/good customers do get deals on fab work. It is just good business.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:41 PM

waskillywabbit: def good to hear what a fabricator think's about the pricing.. having seen his previous work, i know he'll do a great job..

pray4surf: thx for the personal account, ya measuring and calculating always takes longer rite... ya i was thinking of watchin him workin but don't necessarily want to get in his way i think u can find some dudes on this forum with the swingout tire carrier

ocdropzone: i did notice that 4 of the slider legs came in around the same length, but the other 2 were sign. longer.... any reason why??? and ya i'll def pull the phone book out tomo morn.. plannin on gettin a few quotes..

scuba: i was kinda thinkin the same thing... just because of the area i live... el paso, texas.. we have a sign. lower cost of living.. and lower income per capita compared to other larger cities... so we'll see hah

THANKS! for the replies guys.. i'll def take some before
he also recommended painting the sliders before... and just touching up the welds afterwards.... i'm gonna wash/sand, then paint my wheel wells, frame, tow package and sliders using a rustoleum brand galvanizing spray (93% zinc), then rustoleum black primer, then rustoleum truck bedliner spray... i'm wetsanding between coats as well.. let me know what you guys think

Last edited by jvh4513; 05-31-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 PM

I am not a welder, but I knew a guy who was one and he did side jobs all the time and he would charge as much as $75 an hour for some stuff, plus the welding equipment can get expensive... so for 2 days of work, that doesn't seem too bad. I know you can't drop your car off at a mechanic and get 2 days of work done for that price!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM

Yep, you'll want to paint before he welds just leave 2" or so clean around every surface to be welded. If not no big deal it'll just burn off.
Overhead welding can suck, but that's what leathers are for, or if he is skilled enough and has the equipment TIG.

Price sounds fair to me as well.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:59 AM

Yep, x2 paint the sliders before but leave some room for welds..

Im speaking from experience having to paint sliders after they were welded on..

Quick Reply: What's a reasonable price for this particular WELD/FABjob? Cud I be gettin 'jipped'?