Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What's the best low budget option for getting a replacement differential?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the best low budget option for getting a replacement differential?

Hi, I'm new to this site. About a month ago, I finally sold my old car and bought a 1996 4runner Limited with 187,000 miles for $4,000. It seemed to be in perfect condition until a few days ago.. I was noticing a vibration when i got above 50 mph, and eventually I brought it into a shop and apparently every gear in the differential is shot. The guy gave me a quote of $4,200 for the entire job. This is about $2,000 for the brand new differential from Toyota, $1,100 in labor, and other parts that need to be replaced along with it. I'm not about to pay a repair bill that's more than what I paid for the car, so I'm looking for a cheaper option. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find a complete axle on a totaled truck and swap it out. Search craigslist and junkyards. Could also find a used diff and swap it out, either way should be fine.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 AM

I should probably mention it has the factory locker, I'm not sure how easy it would be to find a used one.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech!

An ARB air locker should replace that factory e-locker just fine.

Fink
Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
$500-$650 for elocker diff to fit used.
Install yourself.

Welcome to Yotatech.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks!! So I'm thinking for now I'll put in one without a locker and years down the road once I have the money to start building it up I'll install a locker. I'm all for doing this myself, but I've never attempted such a big project.. doing it myself would really save some money though.. how difficult of a job would this really be for someone with no experience?
Old 09-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
$1100 in labor? it takes me about 60 minutes to pull a toyota third member and that includes getting my tools out and the truck jacked up...
Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM

yea have another shop look at it...Im not sure how the diff will couse vibration s at 50 sounds like it could be a driveshaft though
Old 09-06-2011, 11:31 AM

sounds like you need a new mechanic. PERIOD!!! Start over with a diagnosis from someone that knows what the hell they are talking about.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:25 PM

Here you go. Repairs on the 4runner can get pricey fast unless the owner puts in the labor time to fix it.
http://www.car-part.com/

I take it you mean you have the factory rear elocker. No factory front elocker available on these puppies.

$1100 is steep. I would imagine ballpark should be around $600.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ben R
Thanks!! So I'm thinking for now I'll put in one without a locker and years down the road once I have the money to start building it up I'll install a locker. I'm all for doing this myself, but I've never attempted such a big project.. doing it myself would really save some money though.. how difficult of a job would this really be for someone with no experience?
I think you should just go ahead and put e-locker in. From what I've seen they are not hard to find (car-part.com lists several in Denver) and not a lot more $$$ than a diff without it. Labor wise if you already have the wires in place it's probably slightly easier to do the locker. You just plug it in. If you don't you have to deal with the hanging wires. I can't really see a good reason not to do it now if it's something you'll want in the future.

Either way, make sure you know what gearing you have and match it on the new one. This is key! (well, assuming you want to continue using 4WD and don't want to replace the front diff too!).

I think it's actually a good project for someone without a lot of experience - you'll get to do several different tasks and learn from them all. That might sound daunting, but it's not. None of the work is particularly exacting, none of it is easy to screw up and everything is really easy to see and reach. Nice big bolts, nothing small and fidgety, nothing hidden way back behind something else. The sort of project that can really build confidence.

With time and patience and some modicum of talent I think anyone could take on a whole-axle swap and doing just the 3rd is really simple. (I say a "modicum of talent" because my brother-in-law actually hired someone to come hang pictures in his house because he didn't have the skills to do it himself. Seriously. My sister-in-law does all the work around the house with her little pink took kit. No way he could do any of these tasks. He wears really nice Italian shoes and has beautifully manicured hands though......).

edit: yeah, I agree with 4x4climber. That original quote of $4200 shows quite clearly that they think you were born yesterday and just want to take your money. For all you know your driveshaft just threw a weight and a quick balance would solve all of your problems! Even if they are being honest and the diff is actually bad if you're working on a limited budget you need someone who can give you options beyond just an outrageously expensive factory part. You can buy a brand-new, hand-built, better-than-factory 3rd member for half of what that Toyota part you were quoted. And as we've said, a used one is half again. You need a mechanic who knows stuff like that. Well, of course they know that but someone who is looking to work with you to get your truck fixed on your budget.

Chris

Last edited by GV27; 09-06-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Thank you, GV27, I'll definitely consider doing this myself. I'm away from home at college right now, so I'll have to dedicate a weekend at home to doing this. I've been researching how to replace a differential and it looks like I'll need a lot of tools that I don't have.. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing..
Old 09-06-2011, 01:21 PM

Cast around here a little for help. I've never taken them up on it, but there are lots of helpful folks around here with entire home shops at their disposal. Might be able to find someone in your area willing to give you a hand.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Definitely an easy DIY job. Pick yourself up a service manual or find the factory one here online. Pulling one off a pick your own part yard would be cheap and let you practice on a junk car before working on your own...seriously though, it's just a lot of bolts...nothing too complicated. Make sure you get one that's geared the same as your front...
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM

I just took a look at this quote that the shop wrote up.. they wanted $400 in labor and $80 for parts just for the rear axle seals!! The more I research all of this, the more I'm thinking I'll do everything myself. Thanks rhill!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:00 PM

here ya go:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/fsm/repair.html

check out the sections on removing the rear differential carrier, axle shafts and propeller shaft. I actually prefer the haynes manual, but this could get you through it.

also, like some other people are saying...it wouldn't hurt to get second opinion. if your gears are shot you'd be having a lot bigger problems than vibration at 50mph.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Oh wow, thanks for the link! I've been to the local Toyota dealership and they've been very helpful, I think I'll take it there. I told them about how this shop wants $2000 for the new diff, and the dealership is selling them for $1725. Who knows, maybe I just need to replace the seals and fill it back up with oil and it will be fine. *crosses fingers* Either way, I'm gonna have them take apart the differential and get their opinion before I decide to do anything.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:39 PM

Your problem does not sound like a rear diff. It sounds more like a driveshaft, like someone above said. Dont just dive into this. Of course the dealership is going to be friendly, they want you to buy a 1800 part off them. Changing the seals and replacing the rear diff is not going to fix your problem. You have not described any noises you are experiencing during the viberation, so I dont know why everyone is jumping on the "replace rear diff band wagon". ALWAYS start with cheapest thing first. Are your tires balanced? Did you throw a weight off one? Can you grab your rear driveshaft and wiggle it around? These are all simple steps you need to take before you even begin scratching your head about what it takes to swap out a rear axle.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Alright, I'll try and describe the original problem better. All of this talk of replacing the rear diff was because of the shop taking it apart and over the phone, telling me that all of the gears look extremely worn and that if nothing is done about it, then there is a possibility of the wheels locking up while I'm driving it.

So, the original problem was that the whole truck would start vibrating when i was on the interstate at certain speeds. Every speed above about 50mph would cause this except for 65-70mph so I was still able to drive it at least. This problem lasted for about a week, then I started hearing something that sounded like metal rubbing somewhere. I heard it off and on, probably once every second or two, it would just fade in and out. That's when I brought it to the shop and they said I needed a new diff, axle seals, and whatever parts of the brakes were soaked in oil.