Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What would you pay for a rolled 3rd gen runner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you pay for a rolled 3rd gen runner?

I am looking at a 1997 4runner this week i may buy. it is a 1997 , 165,000 miles, 5 speed 4x4. It has been rolled but the suspension and drivetrain is fine. It also appears the only noticable body damage is the roof. My plan is to cut the roof off and make a roll cage. I was wondering what you would pay for a 4runner like this to use as a project? You think i would be better off going with a older cherokee or something with straight axles? My plan for the 4runner is the make a exo cage, tube bumpers, 3" suspension, 3" body lift, and 35's. I have a 1999 limited 4x4 i got 2 weeks ago . i was going to lift and put tires on it, but if i get this 97 i might just put 22's or 24's on it or sell it and get a 3 series or something since i don't really need two lifted runners

thanks for any help,
Chris
Old 10-28-2007, 08:50 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2500 bucks
Old 10-28-2007, 09:02 PM

If you do buy it you might wana give that engine one thuruogh cleansing before you operate it. Plugs, injectors, oilchange, MAF, u name it, engines dont like having oil flowing the wrong direction
Old 10-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by tigertowncruiser
You think I would be better off going with a older cherokee
Your asking this to people on YOTAtech?

Yeah, check the engine over real well. All the oil flowing down to the head and starving the oil pump can potentially a lot of stuff up. say no more than 2k. I mean it HAS been rolled over right?
Old 10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can see this becoming a TON of work, and money.....if you're up for a long and arduous build then go for it....otherwise I'd hold what you've got
Old 10-28-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
JEEP ummmmmmmmm ya get that if all you want to be doing is Just Emtying Every Pocket

Build that runner if you ask me
Old 10-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Offer him $600 bucks for it. IT'S ROLLED, COME ON
Old 10-29-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by becaron
Your asking this to people on YOTAtech?

Yeah, check the engine over real well. All the oil flowing down to the head and starving the oil pump can potentially a lot of stuff up. say no more than 2k. I mean it HAS been rolled over right?
Well i am asking because it seems a straight axle is best for a off road only vehicle, and from what i have seen a ifs isn't the best choice , and sas'ing a runner doesn't seem easy or cheap. The only thing keeping me from finding a xj (which are available everywhere here for $1200) is i don't want something where oil is leaking all over my driveway and the transmission messing up everytime i take it out. My 1999 limited has 165,000 miles and runs like new,and i think the 5 speed in the runner i am looking at should be reliable. I am going to try to get the 4runner for $1000 , here is my price list i got so far:

4runner $1000
tube bender $300
plexiglass for windshield $50
mig welder $300 ( i have arc but want to get the mig)
steel $500 (seems 1.75x .120 wall hrew is around $2 a foot here)

I am not going to worry about suspension,tires, until i get the cage, bumpers, and doors done. and have the drivetrain gone threw.
then,

landcruiser springs for rear $50
trd springs $100 (if i find some used ones)
front spacers $50
diff drop $50
3" body lift $150
used 35's $400-500
steel wheels $100

I am going to title and insure it, so i am going to use plexiglass for the windshield and make a canvas top for the cage. I want it to be able to drive down the street well and tackle the trails. probably be awhile until i would be able to regear and lock it, but i think it will be pretty good off road vehicle.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM

Why not just lift your rig? If it runs well and there are no problems, why change for some other rig that has questionable reliability. If anything, get an 85 4Runner or Toyota truck that already has straight axles.

And PLEASE do not put 22's on a 4Runner.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by p nut
Why not just lift your rig? If it runs well and there are no problems, why change for some other rig that has questionable reliability. If anything, get an 85 4Runner or Toyota truck that already has straight axles.

And PLEASE do not put 22's on a 4Runner.
because my 4runner gets 20mpg and i don't want my daily driver to get 10 mpg and ride rough. I also don't want to roll around in a huge lifted rig everywhere . My buddy and i were going to split the cost on everything for this project. Doing this to my current runner would cut the value in half adn it just isn't smart financially.I really don't think rims on the runner would give me teh best image to anyone so I doubt i will be putting rims on the 4runner. I am lookign at probably a 2001-2003 330ci or 325ci if i get this 97 runner. as for a 85 runner, it won't be worth anything and will not have near as good of drivetrain, not to mention how redneck they are(no offense anyone). if i get this 97 i have good leather seats, stereo, doors, door panels, glass, stock wheels, and all kinds of little parts i can sell and probably get back what i pay for it.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 AM

i think you are underrating IFS. talk to axleike, or ~tc~. then solid axle your truck, wheel with them, and cry because they still do better.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:49 AM

because my 4runner gets 20mpg and i don't want my daily driver to get 10 mpg and ride rough. I also don't want to roll around in a huge lifted rig everywhere .
So, why not get a beater to ride around in, like an Accord? If you can afford an E46 3-series, then you definitely can spare some cash for a nice Accord or Civic and keep your current 4Runner for wheeling.

as for a 85 runner, it won't be worth anything and will not have near as good of drivetrain, not to mention how redneck they are(no offense anyone). if i get this 97 i have good leather seats, stereo, doors, door panels, glass, stock wheels, and all kinds of little parts i can sell and probably get back what i pay for it.
If you're using it for 4-wheeling use only, the 22RE powertrain is plenty capable. PLENTY of older 4Runners and trucks that can wheel like crazy.

And an 85 4Runner is "redneck", but an old Jeep Cherokee isn't?? I think they both look nice, but personally would prefer the 4Runner or a Toyota Truck.

I do think buying that rolled 4Runner isn't a bad idea, but plenty of other options to look at.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hanksyota
i think you are underrating IFS. talk to axleike, or ~tc~. then solid axle your truck, wheel with them, and cry because they still do better.

Hahahahaha

Aaron
Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=p nut;50653744]So, why not get a beater to ride around in, like an Accord? If you can afford an E46 3-series, then you definitely can spare some cash for a nice Accord or Civic and keep your current 4Runner for wheeling.

I just don't think a limited 4wd is the best choice for off roading, especially to cut the roof off and build a cage. not to mention a waste of money, because then it wouldn't be worth anything. My first car was a 02 civic and i would rather my daily driver be my nicer car and then have a 4runner for a beater.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:38 PM

i probably going to go look at this 97 tommorrow and may buy it
Old 10-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Plexiglass for the windshield it not the way to go in my opinion. Stratches, Pitts and cracks too easily. I would recommend Lexan. Sure it will cost you 2-3 times (about 20x's stronger) as much but you will be happier in the long run. I am pricing Lexan for the rear window on my '81 Trekker after going through 2 pieces of plexi in 6 month.

Be sure to take some pictures and post'em up. Your overall idea for the project sounds good. But an '85 4Runner will hold it's value much better than a chopped Top '97 4Runner...you will be looking at a very unique Resale market with the '97.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Plexiglass for the windshield it not the way to go in my opinion. Stratches, Pitts and cracks too easily. I would recommend Lexan. Sure it will cost you 2-3 times (about 20x's stronger) as much but you will be happier in the long run. I am pricing Lexan for the rear window on my '81 Trekker after going through 2 pieces of plexi in 6 month.

Be sure to take some pictures and post'em up. Your overall idea for the project sounds good. But an '85 4Runner will hold it's value much better than a chopped Top '97 4Runner...you will be looking at a very unique Resale market with the '97.
Thanks, i'll look into lexan, i want to make it removable so i can take it off offroad or maybe flip down liek a wrangler. Not really worried too much with resale on the 97 since i will be getting it so cheap, just making the point on resale about my 99 limited and how much it would take the value away from that.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:37 PM

i still think you could build a beefy ifs rig. how often do you/will you wheel? where? rocks? mud? whats your ultimate goal?
Old 10-29-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would go for it, hey for 1000 i would buy it
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by hanksyota
i still think you could build a beefy ifs rig. how often do you/will you wheel? where? rocks? mud? whats your ultimate goal?

I go to this little place near me and climb some hills and go threw some deep mud. Havn't been in the 4runner yet, but i used to take my fj80 on 35's over there and could almost do it all. my fj80 had stock suspension and 35' bfg m/t's , i had no tire rubbing and it had amazing flex stock, especially the rear. I plan on going to tellico and anywhere else around here i can find. I am in clemson,sc and there isn't much around here it seems. I kinda want to be able to drive the 4runner to tellico and back, which is a couple hundred miles. I think I could if i plan it out on a clear forecast lol. And i don't think highway will be bad with the windshield and canvas top. I was also thinking about making tube doors, but the doors on this 4runner are undamaged it looks like

What do you mean by beefy? I was planning on the trd tundra/ fj80 lift and a 3" body lift. a 1" diff drop and better shocks. WIll probably take the fenders off and make tube fenders and then put 35x12.50's or maybe 36 or 37" tires. I think 37's would fit with the tube fenders and some wheels backspaced to stick out a bit to clear the control arm. although it would be slow as hell with the stock gears! I have seen a couple sets of 36" swampers in my local paper so i guess i will go with what i can find at the time.

Quick Reply: What would you pay for a rolled 3rd gen runner?