Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What would u do differant !!!!

Old 04-14-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What would u do differant !!!!

Being new to upgrading toyotas i was wanting some experienced input. im planning on lots of mods for my 4runner in the future and was wanting some info on mods you have done that u were not really satisfied with and wouldnt recommend or would personally do differant if you had the chance. i dont want to limit to one area of customization i want full vehicle input from those who have experience. What would u change or were not satisfied with. Thanks
Old 04-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

I would never get steel wheels again. Not only did it slow me down (rotational mass) but they also could never be balanced. Never again.

I went back to stock wheels by the way.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Go with the solid axle first. You can get pretty good flex from coils, spacers and larger tires, but ya gotta ditch the IFS. Especially in your setup, you can do a much easier SAS than a 3rd gen.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Black steelies

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I would never get steel wheels again. Not only did it slow me down (rotational mass) but they also could never be balanced. Never again.

I went back to stock wheels by the way.
I love my black steelies!

I'd get my lift and tires first, then lockers and armor and forget a bunch of the rest of the stuff I've done until later...but hindsight is 20/20!

Old 04-14-2004, 06:18 PM

I regret having no damn money to do mods.

I know, you can't regret that but you get the point.

Last edited by KING; 04-14-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:18 PM

If you plan on lifting your truck don't get a Pro Comp Lift. Don't get any kind of lift other than a Solid Axle. If you can afford it or have the patience to wait, do the solid axle. Take the running boards off of it. If you plan on running it on trails, for gods sake get the proper trail armor. (Only if you want to keep it pretty) IE rock sliders, linexed under carage and so on.

I bought the Pro Comp lift and have been installing it for about a week now. They did a poor job of making a proper fit. I only wish I could afford the SAS.
Anyway, that's it for me.

ONE MORE THING!!! Get a SNORKAL!!!!!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-engine-yes-no-27779/
Old 04-14-2004, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

jeez why don't you tell th guy to remove all his body panels, cut up his frame, and turn it intoa buggy. Half the fun of modding is building up so you see your progression as you go. Going straight to solid axle

get yourself some nice tires, and some armor. and go hit the trail you'll figure out the rest on your own. What you don't get post back here and everyone will help.

good luck
Old 04-14-2004, 06:40 PM

Honestly I would not DO anything yet... Take it out... find out what your weak points are, and fix it as you go... dont just mod the hell out of your truck and go "I got this awsome vehicle now" the best feeling is knowing what your rig can do, and not do, and fix the weaknesses...

But then again everyone has their own .02 opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has got one.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

STEELIES ALL THE WAY!!! By FAR my favorite mod so far...well...the Downey's might be favorite, but the steelies are right behind em!

I think it really depends on what you're looking to get out of your truck...no matter what you're wanting to do with it, first make sure that everything is working right first. Don't make the mistake of modding the crap outta the truck and then going back to fix things...the mods will only make the mechanical things get worse and harder to pay for.

Downey's should be your first priority...unless you're going to lift the rig right off the bat.

I'm tryin to think of any mod that I wouldn't do again...but I really can't, they've all been great and really added to the overall effect of the truck...now if you wanted to know what ELSE I wanna do, that'd be a whole 'nother thread!

Have fun and try and lock up your check book and credit cards for atleast 2-3 hours after surfing this site!

Fink
Old 04-14-2004, 07:21 PM

Big Bad Blue's flaws

I should not have purchased all the cosmetic toys I did. I should have stuck with the 4inch susp lift, ditching the body lift idea. I should have went with air lockers front and rear instead of the auto locker in the rear. I should have done a lot but thats at the top of the list.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:59 PM

I kinda wish i wouldnt of spent all my money on subwoofers, and bought some downey coils or performance parts instead.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by carose725
Being new to upgrading toyotas i was wanting some experienced input. im planning on lots of mods for my 4runner in the future and was wanting some info on mods you have done that u were not really satisfied with and wouldnt recommend or would personally do differant if you had the chance. i dont want to limit to one area of customization i want full vehicle input from those who have experience. What would u change or were not satisfied with. Thanks
I would not have got married..... :pat:

On you mean on the truck? Nothing I am very pleased with it!

Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

i would not have gotten the brush guard :pat:
Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calrockx
i would not have gotten the brush guard :pat:
yeah don't get one of those I wasted $300. well $220 since I sold it on Ebay for $80
Old 04-14-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like being able to fix a bent steel rim with a good sized rock. Try that with aluminum
Old 04-14-2004, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I woulda gotten a Tacoma with the 3.4.

Stupid 3.slow.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:56 PM

whats wrong with brushgaurds. i got a toyota one free from the junkyard next to my work. i love how it looks
Old 04-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

I bought a brush guard. Since I don't drive in the brush, it was a waste. I would have bought an ARB or TJM.

I wouldn't have bought nerf bars. They are for looks. I would have bought real DeMello sliders.

I bought a TRD/Borla cat-back. Loved it - but I could have done more for less $$$ at a local shop.

I bought a supercharger. I'm glad I did! <evil grin>

I bought Performance Products 1" springs. Then I bought OME springs. I should have gone directly to adjustable coil-overs. The difference is day and night!

I bought standard Bilstien shocks. While great on the street and flying down dirt roads, they we not good for hill climbs and crawling. I would have gone for shocks made for my style of off-roading. I ended up with adjustable Ranchos.

I bought 265/75/16 BFG All-Terrains. Fantastic tires - I really loved them. But they sucked for the kind of wheeling I ended up doing. Then I bought 265/75/16 BGF/MT/KM - again I love these tires (and will probably not running anything else until convinced of something better!). But I should have bought 33x12.50x15, which is better for my style of wheeling.

I didn't buy a rig with a locker. I ended up buying an ARB. For my purposes, a locker is a must. 2 would be nice!

I think I could go on, but I'll spare you! Heh-heh. Needless to say, when I started buying parts for my 4Runner, I bought things that looked great, but didn't help me off-road. I blame WATRD for all the shame I feel. He taught me the errors of my ways. Heh-heh.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Gene
I think I could go on, but I'll spare you! Heh-heh. Needless to say, when I started buying parts for my 4Runner, I bought things that looked great, but didn't help me off-road. I blame WATRD for all the shame I feel. He taught me the errors of my ways. Heh-heh.
Don't worry Gene, he's been working on me pretty hard =) Hence my post about, fixing things as you go...
Old 04-16-2004, 10:13 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Gene
I wouldn't have bought nerf bars. They are for looks. I would have bought real DeMello sliders.
Yeah... I think this is a common one. Since I got 'em and will probably lose my azz selling them used I figure I'll keep 'em until I damage 'em then get sliders.

Of course I say that about my front (want TJM) and rear (want Bentup) bumpers. So far I've backed into one car (big damage to her, none to me) and one fence post (nicely dented quarter panel) yet my stock bumper is still mint. Go figure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would u do differant !!!!