Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what would happen if this OME part was forgotten

Old 07-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would happen if this OME part was forgotten

There are two bushings for the OME shock / coil kit in front. One goes on the stem under the top plate, and the other goes above. Would there be any negative effect if, say, the one under the top plate was not installed?
Old 07-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by r0cky
There are two bushings for the OME shock / coil kit in front. One goes on the stem under the top plate, and the other goes above. Would there be any negative effect if, say, the one under the top plate was not installed?
Purely hypothetical right Rocky

You would probably get a pretty loud squeeking eventually. Also if the top nut was tightened all the way down and there was no lower cushioning it might be possible to do damage to the shock rod. You would probably hear a clunk when the shock compressed too as there isn't enough threads to tighten it down all the way without the bushing.

As much of a pain as it is to compress the coil again I would recommend putting it in......that is if it were left out.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Banned

Okay ... and imagine if you will for a second, that the bushings are nowhere to be found ... thus making it impossible to just put them in ...

I suppose I could just put the stock one back in??
Old 07-06-2005, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yes the stocks should work. If you can't find them let me know...I think I kept mine. You might have to drill out the bushing to fit the wider shock rod though.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

Okay, well, I'll take a look at said hypothetical issue, and let you know what I find. Thanks, Mike.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You definetly need something in there.

If you dont, then you';ll get a nice loud knocking noise everytime you go over a bump. I had mine installed, but, the top plate wasn't compressed far enough to get a tight fit inbetween the top nut and the two bushings.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

BTW congrats on 4000 posts!!! How many you suppose are from the NE threads? I know I gained a few from that monster.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

considering we decided it was best to delete all of my posts from that thread ... probably not many.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Well either way, I am glad you hung around. Ok enough post whoring for me. g'night
Old 07-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

Forgotten? Not installed? Are you thinking of taking it out, or do you think it's not there? It is- I can pop it out for you & compress it down if you'd like. Gimme a call...
Old 07-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Banned

There was a black one (bushing of some sort) in there which popped out the other day, and I was hoping it wouldn't be a big deal to leave it out. It's easy though, I'll be working on it this weekend and pop something back in.

(for the record I would like to state that this had nothing to do with the installation or the kit I received - all the parts we reused on mine were pretty old and beat up anyway, so it's no surprise that with some change in there one of the old black bushings finally revealed previous damage done to it)
Old 07-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

There was a black one (bushing of some sort) in there which popped out the other day, and I was hoping it wouldn't be a big deal to leave it out. It's easy though, I'll be working on it this weekend and pop something back in.

(for the record I would like to state that this had nothing to do with the installation or the kit I received - all the parts we reused on mine were pretty old and beat up anyway, so it's no surprise that with some change in there one of the old black bushings finally revealed previous damage done to it)
That isn't an OME bushing, if we're talking about the same one I think we're talking about. That's why I didn't understand the title of the thread (OME part forgotten) or the "not installed" part of the post.

If it is indeed out, you should have clunking. For the life of me I can't imagine how it could 'pop' out, because your bushings looked to be fine to me. I'll help if you want- like I said I can pull the coilover & compress it down in a jiffy here at the shop if you want to take a quick look & make sure. If we can do it after work today, and it does indeed need replacing I should be able have one here by Saturday and can break it down & swap it for you since I'll be here anyway.. (and if indeed it did fail, I'd rather get two for you and do both sides just so we'll be sure you'll be OK)
Old 07-07-2005, 01:13 PM
Banned

It's okay, I'm planning on taking a look at things this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell where the part came from without having to compress the coil - just need a better angle to see it.

All I know is that I was washing the truck and a big black bushing (which looks much like the ones on the shock stem) came out and washed down the driveway. There is some clunking when I go over bumps, but I am uncertain as to whether that is the OME kit being stiff and just taking some time to soften up, or if it is the thing I found washed down the driveway.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

It's okay, I'm planning on taking a look at things this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tell where the part came from without having to compress the coil - just need a better angle to see it.

All I know is that I was washing the truck and a big black bushing (which looks much like the ones on the shock stem) came out and washed down the driveway. There is some clunking when I go over bumps, but I am uncertain as to whether that is the OME kit being stiff and just taking some time to soften up, or if it is the thing I found washed down the driveway.
Where exactly did it come out of? Which side? If you could at least post a pic (maybe with a ruler?), it might be easier to identify. In order for it to be the strut bushing under the top plate it'd have to be really f*d up, like split & crushed, to come out. It slips over (around) the strut shaft and is compressed between the metal support on the top of the strut and the underside of the top plate. If it did pop out I'd think it would have been inside the coil...

Like I said, I'll be at work Saturday- if you have trouble ID'ing it you can swing by.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Banned

Thanks, I plan on looking at it tomorrow.

Believe me when I say that I know where the strut bushing goes.

(p.s. -- i heard a rumor it's your birthday!! i hope you have a wonderful day!!!! ... with lots of Miller High Life!!)