Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

What type of transmission fluid is best for 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of transmission fluid is best for 3rd gen?

For a 1999 4runner sr5 3.4L v6? I did search the forum, but did not find a specific answer, sorry if I missed it somewhere. I have heard that the correct solution is Dexron 3, and that toyota did not change to this T-4 solution until post 02 models of 4 runner.

I do not want any trans trouble so I want to ensure I use the correct solution. I will be using a transmission fluid machine to pull out the old stuff and put in the new, which I believe it takes about 7.6 quarts of the new fluid to completely replace the old fluid, so I will be picking up 8 quarts of whatever the right fluid is I suppose.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:51 PM

Ok no replies as of yet, that is ok. I now have found that Dexron III replaces Dexron II so I know I need to use that solution. On another note, would anyone recommend a specific BRAND of solution? I am wondering if paying 3.50 per bottle for Valvoline that is "for cars over 75k" (I am at 140k) or if paying 2.00 per bottle for some other brand is just as good.

Thanks everyone!
Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

You can use (in increasing order of quality) Dexron III, Toyota Type-T fluid (which wasn't available back then, but is good to use) and GOOD synthetic fluid...like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. The more you pay, the longer it will last, both the fluid and your trans and the better it will function, but all of them work just fine. You can use plain 'ol Dexron III for 120k miles, but it wouldn't protect the transmission as well as $7 synthetic.

Also, when you use the BG machine to change your transmission fluid, you are gonna need 16 quarts. The transmission has a dry-fill capacity of ~12 quarts and you need 16 for the machine to work properly. It can get expensive. I just did my trans with Mobil 1 synth and it cost me an arm and a leg but I have peace of mind now and it also seems to shift better sometimes.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:19 AM

My manual for my 99 4runner says it only needs about 7.6 quarts of the fluid?
Old 10-26-2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
You can use (in increasing order of quality) Dexron III, Toyota Type-T fluid (which wasn't available back then, but is good to use) and GOOD synthetic fluid...like Mobil 1 or Amsoil. The more you pay, the longer it will last, both the fluid and your trans and the better it will function, but all of them work just fine. You can use plain 'ol Dexron III for 120k miles, but it wouldn't protect the transmission as well as $7 synthetic.

Also, when you use the BG machine to change your transmission fluid, you are gonna need 16 quarts. The transmission has a dry-fill capacity of ~12 quarts and you need 16 for the machine to work properly. It can get expensive. I just did my trans with Mobil 1 synth and it cost me an arm and a leg but I have peace of mind now and it also seems to shift better sometimes.
Transmission will shift better with a Type T. Actually, T-III or T-IV.

That transmission was designed around slightly firmer, crisper shifts than
DEXRON III will offer. To me, a shorter ship is better on the transmission as less time 'slipping' is less chance to put heat in the system. Heat and excess heat will kill a transmission quicker than a crisp shift.

I tried a DEXRON fluid in my Super Charged 99 and hated the slow shift which was especially noticeable in the 2-3 shift under full acceleration.

Additionally, the T-IV fluid has better Friction durability than the DEX III which means in effect, it maintains optimum frictional characteristics and hence optimum shifting longer.

Just my 02 cents

David
Old 10-26-2005, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Transmission will shift better with a Type T. Actually, T-III or T-IV.

That transmission was designed around slightly firmer, crisper shifts than
DEXRON III will offer. To me, a shorter ship is better on the transmission as less time 'slipping' is less chance to put heat in the system. Heat and excess heat will kill a transmission quicker than a crisp shift.

I tried a DEXRON fluid in my Super Charged 99 and hated the slow shift which was especially noticeable in the 2-3 shift under full acceleration.

Additionally, the T-IV fluid has better Friction durability than the DEX III which means in effect, it maintains optimum frictional characteristics and hence optimum shifting longer.

Just my 02 cents

David
Where do you acquire the T IV fluid? I did not see any at my local Autozone. I thought I had seen a service bulletin saying that my 99runner would be best if I used that solution, the T-IV. However, the dealership said to use Dexron III which replaces Dexron II which is indicated on the dipstick on my truck as the solution to use.

I really dont want to mess up my trans so I am inclined to go with a high quality Dexron III at this point as indicated by the dealers in my area, but am open to using the T-IV if I can learn more about why to use it and WHERE to get it. Is T-IV a viable safe replacement for the Dexron III? My dealerships had not even heard of it, at least in relation to what a 99runner should use.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anybody ever used "B&M trick shift" in a toyota auto trans? my friend wants to use it in his runner.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by theryanator
My dealerships had not even heard of it, at least in relation to what a 99runner should use.
I find that remarkable, since my 03 Highlander REQUIRES the T-IV???? The synthetics handle both the heat and the cold better. The Amsoil products have served me well.