Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What are some causes of a rich condition.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are some causes of a rich condition.

My truck is running rich, I can smell it comming out of the tailpipe. Background- NGK plugs, Toy wires / cap / rotor, and cat converter all 2 months old or less. No exhaust leaks (finally fixed them all), O2 sensor (Toy OEM) is 6 months old. Timming set 5*BTDC w/(jumpered test connector). Running 89 octane. Intake box modified, Intake tube is 2.5" from AFM to TB (no silencer), and using stock filter (4 months old), AFM has not been messed with. Can't think of any other info to give.

So what could be causing the rich condition? Like I said, I can smell it and my MPG's have gone down somewhat. Would advancing the timming lean it out a bit?

Thanks for any help / suggestions.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Fuel pressure regulator
AF meter
leaking injector
leaking cold start injector
Bad thermostat (engine doesn't warm up)
bad engine coolant temp sensor (for computer, not the gauge)

List is not in any particular order
Old 08-12-2004, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After doing the work, especially the exhaust repairs and o2 sensor, did you reset the ECU? Also, since I don't know the timeline of events, did you clean the o2 sensor after fixing the exhaust leaks? If not there will be a carbon buildup on it that won't let it read the exhaust properly and it will think the engine is running lean and the ECU will want to crank out more fuel. I believe this is how it works anyway.
More air intake goes hand in hand with more fuel too. Possibly if the ECU hasn't been reset and you have done mods to increase the airflow it isn't matching the new airflow with the fuel rate properly.
Lastly, it could the throttle position sensor is a bit off and the engine is reading the throttle as being more open than it really is.
Only other thing that comes to mind I'm not really sure about, but isn't the timing on a 22re supposed to be set 10 degrees BTDC, not 5?
Old 08-12-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
After doing the work, especially the exhaust repairs and o2 sensor, did you reset the ECU? Also, since I don't know the timeline of events, did you clean the o2 sensor after fixing the exhaust leaks? If not there will be a carbon buildup on it that won't let it read the exhaust properly and it will think the engine is running lean and the ECU will want to crank out more fuel. I believe this is how it works anyway.
More air intake goes hand in hand with more fuel too. Possibly if the ECU hasn't been reset and you have done mods to increase the airflow it isn't matching the new airflow with the fuel rate properly.
Lastly, it could the throttle position sensor is a bit off and the engine is reading the throttle as being more open than it really is.
Only other thing that comes to mind I'm not really sure about, but isn't the timing on a 22re supposed to be set 10 degrees BTDC, not 5?

the ecu was reset (batt. disconected for duration) while doing the exhaust leak, cat converter install, and the o2 sensor was inspected (no apperant build up). As far as the timming, I thought the setting was 5* with the TE1 & E1 jumpered, which is about 10* with out the jumper.

I'll check the TPS, have to do some web digging for the instructions on setting it.
thanks

Last edited by PirateFins; 08-12-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine runs very rich first thing in the mourning,while its warming up,You can really smell it eh.
& ive never had good mpg,Ive done many of the things you have done ,but not the o2 sensor yet.I did have a temp sensor changed that was reading to cold (ECU control),& that made a small diferance,but not much.
I watch with interest.