Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What size tubing for brake bleeder valve 1999 4runner & notes on Motive Power Bleeder

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size tubing for brake bleeder valve 1999 4runner & notes on Motive Power Bleeder

I bought a Motive power bleeder for $56 a few months back, and I just finally found the time to flush both our truck's brakes. Overall, I thought the power bleeder was great value for the money, as others here have found. My power bleeder had a two part hose with a brass fitting in the middle, unlike the one in the photo below.

Question: has anyone replaced the short section of hose that you connect to the bleeder valve with a longer section of hose? If so, what diameter and what material should I get? The bleeder hose is too short for easy use with my runners. ALSO: should I look for any sort of bleeder valve cap in particular to replace mine, or does it matter?

A short section of hose is a must for attaching to the bleeder valve, but the 6" (or so) piece provided wasn't enough. I was running it into an old apple juice bottle, and the bottle was in my way the whole time. A 2-3 foot piece would be much more appropriate, and would keep the bottle out of your way while you're opening and closing the valve.

I did have a leak in the two part hose's connection. I had the fitting tightened down pretty good, so I suspect it's between the fitting and the plastic hose somewhere. I lost about a quarter cup out of 2.5 qts through the hose, which was a bit of a mess.

The adaptor that tightens onto the fluid reservoir needs to be very tight to avoid leaks at 15-16 psi. I was concerned about cranking onto the plastic reservoir that hard, but it seemed to hold up ok. I might have also displaced my adaptor's gasket, which led to that leaky situation.

The fluid on my wife's truck (3.4 L) was algae green. Mine was brown. I know for a fact that I let this maintenance task go waaay too long. I'll be more on top of it from now on.

Everything seemed to work properly when I tested it after I was done, so overall it wasn't a bad job.

I used Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3 & 4 fluid during my flushes. Took me about 2.5 qts for two trucks, but I might have over flushed.

Last edited by pendrag; 02-27-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pendrag, just take a ruler and measure the inside diameter of the short hose that was provided. I have the same set-up and went to a longer tube also.....guessing about 5/32" or so off the top of my head.

I found some small vacuum tube caps (assortment kit) at the local parts store that worked on the bleeder screws.

Last edited by rworegon; 02-27-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the Motive bleeder too, and I replaced that little 6 inch hose they give you with about an 18 inch section of this:

I got it at O'Rielly Auto Parts. My thumb is covering it, but it's "Gunk" brand, and the tubing is clear so you can watch the color of the fluid coming out and see when fresh fluid starts to bleed out. Since I last bled my brakes, I have seen this type of clear tubing for sale by the foot at alot of different auto parts stores. But that 3/16" ID works great.

Also, before you connect the two brass fittings on the two-part hose between the bleeder tank and the reservior, add some teflon tape to the threads. I had the same leak going on and putting the teflon plumbing tape on the threads before I connected them took care of it.

Last edited by BigFishAllDay; 02-27-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've got a roll of teflon tape sitting in my toolbag somewhere.