Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What size amp fits under the front seat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What size amp fits under the front seat?

I've poked around on the forum, and I really like some of the stealth installs that you guys are doing. It seems that one of the best ways to maintain that factory look is to mount amps under the front seats. My question is what is the maximum size amp that will fit under the front drivers seat without any significant protrusion?
Old 05-18-2003, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I take it you don't have a factory alarm on your rig? If you do, then you'll find the control unit for it under the driver's seat.

What year/make/model is your rig?

There's actually a good amount of space behind the center console towards the floor on the 3rd gen 4Runners. That's where the factory amp goes for the "premium sound system" package. Some folks sacrifice the glove compartment 'cause it's handy. And on most of the rigs, there's a good sized space way up under the dash on the driver's side.

There's also "a lot" of space back in the rear (again, on the 3rd gen 4Runners) in that storage compartment. Running wire back there isn't fun though.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
There's actually a good amount of space behind the center console towards the floor on the 3rd gen 4Runners. That's where the factory amp goes for the "premium sound system" package.
I would be careful of putting an aftermarket high powered amp in there. There is probably close to no airflow in that space and a big amp would overheat pretty quickly.

I may be wrong.. if others have actually done this please speak up. I'm looking at amps myself
Old 05-18-2003, 09:57 AM

Good suggestions on alternate placements! Any ideas on max dimensions for under the drivers seat?
Old 05-18-2003, 10:03 AM
AUJWE

I've got this amp under my seat: http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/archive/thunder302.cfm
Along with a Lightning Audio 0.5 farad digital cap., distrubition block, and wires. There is still a little more room too. By the way, this truck is a 2000 4Runner SR5

Joey
Old 05-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

I have the same sized amp, a Marathon 2 channel under my drivers seat. I wanted to put one under the passenger seat but there is a fan in that location.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

hey whats a fared cap even do??
Old 05-18-2003, 12:52 PM

When the bass hits really hard it needs supplimental power. A capacitor gives the amp extra juice when needed. A Farad is the measure of electrical capacity. When you see people with their lights dimming to the music.... that is someone without a Cap.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:48 PM

On my 2nd gen. I have got the amps for the system under the seats. I'm running a sony 222watt amp for my 6x9's and a mtx 250 for my 12w3. They seem very happy there and they don't get hot.

Last edited by trd90toyota; 05-18-2003 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 03:50 PM

I have a 300watt 4ch Pioneer amp under my seat, it is a tight fit. I'm just glad the seat doesn't get moved ata ll. I'll snap some pics later on tonight.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:50 PM

I have two amps in my '01 4Runner.

The main one, which power 6 of the speakers is under driver's seat. It is Phoenix Gold Octane-R 5.0.4. It is relatively small in size and fits under the seat perfectly.

My second amplifier (RockfordFosgate 300W) which powers my 8" subwoofer is in the storage compartment in the rear. That subwoofer is in the same place as the amp. Both fit perfectly and absolutely not visible to the person who doesn't know that those are there. At the same time this 8" sub perfectly compensates the bass which I'm missing from 4" rear speakers.

I will try to take some pictures if you're interested once I have the wooden box and all the wires covered up. I hopefully should be done tomorrow or so

-- Andrey
Old 05-18-2003, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

That's the only thing I'm worried about - having my stuff in the cargo area where people could possibly see it. When I had a Honda Accord it was in the trunk [of course it got broken into anyway, so....]

But I suppose if you make the box right it would be unnoticeable to the passerby. So Andrey hurry up with those pics!
Old 05-18-2003, 08:51 PM

Here is some "work in progress" just to give you an idea...

I have an entire day off from work tomorrow, so I hopefully should be done and I will definitely post some much nicer pictures.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Ahh.. I misread your post Andrey. I was thinking about using that compartment for stereo equipment but I like it too much for other things.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:35 PM
Del

I would be careful of putting an aftermarket high powered amp in there. There is probably close to no airflow in that space and a big amp would overheat pretty quickly.
Yea and if there isnt a safety on it to switch it off when it overheats, you'll damage the amp, and maybe even start a fire

I've got a Sony xm-7547 (stopped production), it's a 4 channel but I bridged it into 2 so its running around 300 each into 2 1200(each) watt Sony comp subs. The amp is so big I had to mount it ON the boxes for the subs, and even with all the air circulation, it still overheats sometimes.

If you're just looking for a little louder than stock, I think under the seat is fine, but if you're looking to be heard a block away (like me ) then you should look into another way to mount it.

I eventually want to do a custom setup with everything enclosed and the amp sitting inside a cutout hole so there's no wires showing. Basically like 1 big box in the back holding everthing.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:51 AM

TRD90TOYOTA: I am considering going with the exact same amp (or possibly a different amp from the MTX Thunder series). Does it run fairly cool? I'm not sure if I should start a separate thread for this but...

I am getting ready to install my Focal 165k2 components. I know that the door mounted tweeter spot isn't ideal, but I like the factory look. Any idea how large of a tweeter the door will accomodate? The focal tweeter is 1 3/4" but I wish I knew what the factory tweeter size was... Does anyone sell a bracket that will allow me to mount the tweeter to the 6.5" woofer like an all-in-one unit?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Jeff_M
Any idea how large of a tweeter the door will accomodate? The focal tweeter is 1 3/4" but I wish I knew what the factory tweeter size was... Does anyone sell a bracket that will allow me to mount the tweeter to the 6.5" woofer like an all-in-one unit?
The factory tweeters on my 2001 4Runner are exactly 1" in size. I upgraded to Infinity Reference 6.5" Components (6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter) with the perfect fit. No drilling or special fitting was required.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:08 AM

Nice to hear from some other owners who are using in-door component speakers! So when I disassemble my door, what can I expect to find? I assume there is a wire going to the woofer in the door and a wire going to the tweeter in the window corner. Are both of these factory drivers receiving the same frequencies from the head unit or is there a factory crossover? I know you will dread hearing this, but I'm temporarily powering these components with a Nakamichi head unit (GASP!). I'll be running them at lower volumes to make sure they aren't strained for the time being. How do I hookup the Focal crossover/drivers to the factory wiring? Thanks for your help guys... you sure are saving me some money!
Old 05-20-2003, 09:11 AM

Jeff_M,

What year is your 4Runner?
Old 05-20-2003, 09:12 AM

1998 Limited 4WD... I guess I should setup a signature or something. Any suggestions on the install?

Quick Reply: What size amp fits under the front seat?