95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What is the price on Supercharger?

Old 06-28-2003, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the price on Supercharger?

anyone know the cheapest price offered right now? for 3rd gen 3.4L
Old 07-01-2003, 08:43 AM

whatever the price, it's probably too high unless you want to buy a half-baked offering from TRD. I say this as I am fed up with the infamous pinging that TRD finally admitted to me. I have a '99 4x4 Limited w/ 65K miles on it - s/c has about 40K miles on it. It has a Borla exhaust, TRD headers, Magnecor 8.5mm spark plug wires, Denso Iridium plugs (IK16).

Their solution was to buy the TRD thermo and colder spark plugs. And, if that didn't eliminate the pinging, have their 'ping' pulley installed. That's what the guy called the thing. I had the thermo and pulley installed. The pinging is almost eliminated, but the s/c only puts out 4 pounds of boost.

TRD should have either fully tested their product, or offered a complete kit (if thermo and plugs were required, they should have included them).

I have also had the infamous oil leak from the nose cone. Their solution was to have the belt tensioner installed under warranty. OK, I now have the belt tensioner, but how does this help the leaking??? DOH!

I'm considering having TRD do a buy-back. I'm not willing to go to the next level of the fuel injectors, FMC, TMC stuff. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do the TRD s/c.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Well, to answer your original question...

I think TOR is offering the SC for $2400 right now.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:37 AM

ThePretender had a point, an emotional one, but a point. The going price for the S/C is $2,500 give or take a bit. The newer trucks "seem" to handle the ping issue better, but plan on cooler plugs and thermostat. Then you should consider an automatic transmission cooler, the Hayden style will cost you about $50 depend on the size you use. 93 Octane fuel, all the time, is recommended. This is the MINIMUM configuration!

Many of us with the S/C feel the slow shifts of the A/T will damage the A/T over time and invest in the Level 10 valve body upgade. There is another vendor that performs a similar service the the Supra folks seem to like. Plan on spending the better part of $900 with Level 10, and that's doing the remove and replace yourself.

The topic of fuel modifications is a hot one! Some feel it's a REQUIREMENT, some feel it's a refinement. But, a new fuel pump, injectors and a piggy back computer with some knowledgable assistance, and your spending somewhere between several hundred and more than a thousand additional dollars.

The "ping pulley" is a way to reduce boost and therefore help the ping. Some seem to need it, other's don't.

Find someone local with the S/C and take it for a ride. See how you like the additional torque and HP. However, it is not a stand-alone, bolt-on and forget it upgade. There is a little more to it! More of a journey then an ending!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:54 AM

I beg to differ if it is worth it or not. I spent the lucky 1700 last november and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I know I have fuel mods to buy, but the pinging is minimal at most on my truck and I do drive it hard but I only use chevron or texico premium gas. No am/pm for my truck! If I could only have one mod, that would be it. Period.

You have to remember that the best things aren't usually the easiest. I can't wait to add injectors/pump/controller just because it'll be almost as good as adding the SC in the first place!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

...and it sounds like Dan is on to something with the Wallbro fuel pump. Check it out here if you are interested.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:38 AM

I forgot to mention that I also have the Amsoil filter with the deck plate mod. I junked the K&N FIPK after reading on Gadget's site that the K&N actually gets less hp. Prior to the 'ping' pulley install, I was able to spin the back tires with the deck plate mod - I wasn't able to do that with the K&N. Also, living in CA, best you can get is 91 octane gas - I use Chevron 91 octane. I still had the pinging when I used octane boost - I tried all sorts of 'em.

The wife and I just returned from a road trip (2,600) miles from LA to Denver and back. During the climbing on the way out and back, the 'Engine Check' light came on about 6 times. I pulled the EFI fuse to reset the light. Yeah, this gets rid of the light and the error code, but I got sick of looking at the light. I saw a post from a member on cleaning the MAF sensor with electronic cleaner. I've already done this, but I'll probably clean it again. I'll have the dealer look at the car next week.

I'm happy with the car, and really happy with South Bay Toyota in Torrance (Harold Young is the Man). TRD needs help.

Hey Phx TRDRunner - your 4Runner looks great! Did you lift it to get the bigger tires on it?
Old 07-01-2003, 01:02 PM
FROSTY

I read all the comments on this board about the supercharger and I’m having a really hard time deciding what to do. I can’t decide if I should just go with headers, and exhaust—or if I should take the gamble on the super charger working —I don’t want to ruin the reliability of my Toyota—it’s a 5spd so maybe I won’t have as many problems....What do all of you think? by the way I think somebody mentioned that TRD is going to run another special this year sometime for around $1800.

FROSTY
Old 07-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FROSTY
I read all the comments on this board about the supercharger and I’m having a really hard time deciding what to do. I can’t decide if I should just go with headers, and exhaust—or if I should take the gamble on the super charger working —I don’t want to ruin the reliability of my Toyota—it’s a 5spd so maybe I won’t have as many problems....What do all of you think? by the way I think somebody mentioned that TRD is going to run another special this year sometime for around $1800.

FROSTY
I am going to go with the headers. I agree with you, the SC makes me a little nervous, it seems to be hit or miss. But dang would it be fun!

It really depends on your needs. For me, I would rather have a rear locker, and headers than a SC. But that's just me, and for what I use my Runner for.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-01-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:22 PM
FROSTY

I agree with you 96Runner--if I wanted to use her on the road I would have a bmw. Home much HP do you think I can get with the deck plate, exhaust, and headers?---The ARB front and rear locker would be nice too
Old 07-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FROSTY
Home much HP do you think I can get with the deck plate, exhaust, and headers?---The ARB front and rear locker would be nice too

Deckplate: 5HP
Exhaust: 5HP
Headers: 10 - 15HP
ISR Mod: 5HP

Unfortunately, there are laws of Physics which come in to play, preventing a "mass" increase of HP by adding a bunch of small mods such as these. So, realistically, you are looking at a 15HP gain with all these mods. Remember, the HP gain of these mods will be realized at a very narrow part of the rev range vs. a much broader power gain starting at a lower RPM with the SC.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 07-01-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:39 PM

Keep away from the s/c, that's my advice. I don't have time to write out all the reasons why, but suffice it to say it takes a lot of dedication, know-how, and worst of all MONEY. If you have other plans like off-road upgrades, wheels, etc., do that and forget the blower. The only reason I even looked into the s/c was because TRD said it was a "bolt on part". Which of course is BULL_FUGGING_$HET. Then I found these wonderful boards like yotatech, TTORA, Gadgetonline and got most of the bugs worked out.

Still...the 3.4 5VZ was definitely NOT engineered with the s/c in mind. I realized this fully this weekend when my pops bought a Ford Lightning....same s/c, but the motor was built AROUND THE S/C WITH A FORCED INDUCTION APPLICATION IN MIND. What a nice truck, runs flawless, fast! Even comes with an intercooler STOCK! sigh....long story short, if I had it to do all over again I would not. There are a half dozen or so folks yanking their s/c off from the TTORA boards right now.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Or wait til mike gets their turbo kit going. Or if the decided... a better s/c.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:17 PM

hm....i am reconsidering my SC.....i dunno i still want it bad tho...
Old 07-01-2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by heliax
Keep away from the s/c, that's my advice. I don't have time to write out all the reasons why, but suffice it to say it takes a lot of dedication, know-how, and worst of all MONEY. If you have other plans like off-road upgrades, wheels, etc., do that and forget the blower. The only reason I even looked into the s/c was because TRD said it was a "bolt on part". Which of course is BULL_FUGGING_$HET. Then I found these wonderful boards like yotatech, TTORA, Gadgetonline and got most of the bugs worked out.

Still...the 3.4 5VZ was definitely NOT engineered with the s/c in mind. I realized this fully this weekend when my pops bought a Ford Lightning....same s/c, but the motor was built AROUND THE S/C WITH A FORCED INDUCTION APPLICATION IN MIND. What a nice truck, runs flawless, fast! Even comes with an intercooler STOCK! sigh....long story short, if I had it to do all over again I would not. There are a half dozen or so folks yanking their s/c off from the TTORA boards right now.
Same SC? Nope, try again. Also, that motor was NOT built around the SC, they just took the 'stanger motor, dropped compression and slapped a charger on it. Yes, its fast now, but what do you expect from a V8 with FI ?? Also, that is a MUCH larger blower than the TRD for the 3.4L. Also funny you mention that it was not designed with the SC in mind...why then does the computer learn fuel curves? Why are their bolt holes in the block that ONLY the SC tensioner uses...?? Odd indeed. Not trying to flame, but you are knocking a product you obviously know little about~even if you have one. Lightnings are fast now..but I'd be expecting major repairs well within the 100k mile window.
Old 07-01-2003, 05:46 PM

Pointless when its factual...you know what they say about arguing on the net...but anyways...I call lowering compression, adding an intercooler, bigger injectors, different pulleys, etc etc as engineering a motor with forced induction in mind (I.E.- the ford lightning). I guess bolt holes count as engineering the 3.4 with the s/c in mind? sigh....just about every major manufacturer uses a "learning computer" on their cars nowadays, at least all the ones I'm aware of (all of them), even Ford....btw Mustangs use a 4.6, the Lightning has a 5.4

Last edited by heliax; 07-01-2003 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a trd s/c installed on my 99 runner a few weeks ago and have noticed no pinging.. I recently drove up to bellingham from bellevue putting my truck through the gamut of acceleration and rpm possibiliteis and it performed great. I do notice some lean out at higher speeds (above 80 or so), but that was minor and not really important to me (33s with lift) Maybe I got lucky, but I am happy that I got it installed. Just my opinion.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by heliax
Pointless when its factual...you know what they say about arguing on the net...but anyways...I call lowering compression, adding an intercooler, bigger injectors, different pulleys, etc etc as engineering a motor with forced induction in mind (I.E.- the ford lightning). I guess bolt holes count as engineering the 3.4 with the s/c in mind? sigh....just about every major manufacturer uses a "learning computer" on their cars nowadays, at least all the ones I'm aware of (all of them), even Ford....btw Mustangs use a 4.6, the Lightning has a 5.4

An example of an engine "engineered" for forced induction is a 2jz-gte. Larger rods, huge mains and crazy cooling systems are normally associated with this.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Greedy
I had a trd s/c installed on my 99 runner a few weeks ago and have noticed no pinging.. I recently drove up to bellingham from bellevue putting my truck through the gamut of acceleration and rpm possibiliteis and it performed great. I do notice some lean out at higher speeds (above 80 or so), but that was minor and not really important to me (33s with lift) Maybe I got lucky, but I am happy that I got it installed. Just my opinion.

i dont think thats going to help trd sell any superchargers. just my take on it....
Old 07-01-2003, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

I don't think anyone here is looking at the REALLY BIG picture.

TRD sells THOUSANDS of these S/C's. Maybe 5% of the owners are online and talk about this stuff. The other 95% think all is well, and don't really care about a little ping here and there, or about new spark plugs, fuel pumps or piggy-back computers.

The TRD S/C is hands down the best modification I have done to my runner. If I could only do one thing, I would have done the S/C. I had 94k on my runner when I did it, and I am at 108k now. That's 14k with not a single hiccup.

Sure, I am doing the fuel mods and messing around with the ISR Mod and everything else. That's because I am like most of you and I cannot leave well enough alone.

To complain about the S/C is crazy in my opinion. And to those of you who don't have one and say it is a waste of money - go drive a runner with one. When I step on the gas and get to 60mph 3 seconds faster than I used to... and do the quarter in 15.56 seconds... that's not too shabby.

I cannot wait to see what the new numbers will be once the fuel mods are done.

Anyone want to go wheeling?

Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the price on Supercharger?