Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What parts need preserving/special care - 1st gens

Old 08-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What parts need preserving/special care - 1st gens

So Ive got this beautiful 85 4Runner in perfect shape and I want to keep it that way. What are some parts that you wish you paid a little more care too? Im talking mostly visual parts that I cannot buy a new replacement.

Here is my short list:

1. Center console arm rest
2. Tailgate door jam and fender wells (prevent rust)
3. Steering wheel - Im not certain, but Ive seen a few quite torn up

Barrett-Jackson is calling it's name
Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shifter cap (the aluminum cap that has the shift pattern on it.)
Mine fell off about 10 years ago. Luckily I found it while replacing the carpet.
I would also keep hte dash covered as much as possible. I bought one of those carpeted ones and It seems to have worked well. Still no cracks.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks! Im also seeing a lot of the shifter boots pretty banged up too. Wonder what I could put on it to keep it in good shape...probably something I should put on the arm rest too.

Good call on the dash cover...did you just get a "dash king" cover or did you find a generic one somewhere?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:52 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
I had an 85. At around 150k I had the armrest cover redone by an upholsterer. No big deal. My SR5 fabric seats still looked great at 172k, and except for a few hunting seasons they never had covers over them either. I had them pro cleaned once after about 10 years. Dirt and mud clean off, it's grease and oil that ruin your interior.

I had to replace the chrome rain gutter trim a few times, it would get torn off by a limb, and at stealership prices that was agravating.

If you ever run across a set of the SR5 stripes you might snap em up. I had mine painted on and clearcoated over...

Never had any rust anywhere except the sunroof. The sunroof - I wish I had gotten one and kept it - they rust out early and are impossible to find in good shape. It looked pretty ugly eventually but it never did leak ever.

Nothing else comes to mind appearance-wise. If it's still nice and you taek reasonable car of it the stuff it's made of lasts incredibly well. I'm always amazed when I see how bad some are - I'm not a nickpicky detailer, I just don't trash my stuff and I fix it when something needs fixed. Mine was my daily driver and certainly not pampered, I towed a trailer, I played in deep mud, rocks, mountains, and the dunes. I hauled boats, lumber, and cabinets on the roof. I hauled garbage, kids, dogs, firewood and dead deer inside it. But I then cleaned it up after. In 1999 at 15 years old and 172k miles I sold it to the first guy who answered the ad for $10,500. I thought he was a sucker, but I've regretted selling it ever since.
http://www.pcez.com/~pcollins/85_4Ru...heelin02sm.jpg
Old 08-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PoBoy
Thanks! Im also seeing a lot of the shifter boots pretty banged up too. Wonder what I could put on it to keep it in good shape...probably something I should put on the arm rest too.

Good call on the dash cover...did you just get a "dash king" cover or did you find a generic one somewhere?
The one I got is called a dash mat. it fits well and seems to do the job.
You may want to try and preserve theshifter boot. The nice looking pleather
one. Mine cracked all up and all the rubber stuff came off of it. Afriend of mine sewed me a new one out of heavier material last year. That thing makes a huge difference.

here is a pic of the dash mat. (Its mainly a pic of my Glovebox lock.)
Old 08-24-2004, 05:54 AM
Contributing Member

I wonder what I could put on the shifter boot and the arm rest to keep em from cracking. I assume the arm rest is vinyl, but the shifterboot?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by PoBoy
I wonder what I could put on the shifter boot and the arm rest to keep em from cracking. I assume the arm rest is vinyl, but the shifterboot?

Really, nothing. Vinyl ages and eventually cracks. Stuff like *ugh* armor all actually shortens the life, although ProtectAll seems to be really good stuff. I used it starting around 1992 for my 85 interior once a year and it still looked brand new when I sold it. (it has great UV blockers in it but won't remove the natural oils like armor all) Prior to that I cleaned with a weak solution of PineSol in water, and then used Pledge furniture polish on the vinyls. That's what I've always done for the past 25 years and my interiors seem to stay perfect. (I learned that trick from an old guy who built wonderful street rods.) But for things like the shifter boot and armrest cover, it only takes 10 minutes with a piece of quality vinyl and a sewing machine to make brand new ones when the finally need replaced. No big deal - I paid an upholsterer $20 to make me a new console armrest cover and he managed to match the color perfectly!

Last edited by Flamedx4; 08-24-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

I'll have to second the above items, specifically..

Anything plastic: dash should be OK with frequent Armor All but obviously better with a dash cover. The door handles seem to crumble fast if they are left in the sun for years.

Carpet: save the original mats and put in some Husky's.

Seats: the lower back wears out exposing a painful metal bar at kidney level, covers would be a good idea.

Shifter boot: on the stick shifts, they just disintegrate. I am about to have mine redone. Try armor all, but I'm not sure there's any way to really stop this from dying.

Rust: Get some touch up paint and stop rust before it starts, especially on the rear fenders. You should also consider gettinng your frame cleaned and coated with POR or other protection.

... if you can find one, it may also be a good idea to get a bug shield, and take a can of teflon bike lube and do all the locks, window channels, an non electrical moving parts. Let me know if you want one of those glove box locks. Don't want to advertise off the For sale boards.

Last edited by dajabr; 08-24-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
No big deal - I paid an upholsterer $20 to make me a new console armrest cover and he managed to match the color perfectly!
What type of upholsterer did you get? Was he automotive or did he do furniture?? I need mine fixed up too. Hitting up yellow pages later.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Not the Carpet Dash Mat..nooooo!!!:pat: :pat:

Check Griots for vinyl protectant/dressing. Even try shooting them and email, I'm sure they'll have a great solution for you.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Banned

you can buy a new shifter boot at the dealer for $40