Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What kind of mpg in your 3rd gen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run stock tires (slightly over inflated), no lift, and ethanol- free gas. I get about 22-23 mpg on the freeway going 70 mph. I travel home from Columbia, SC to Chattanooga, TN which is about 320 miles. I'm always tracking my mileage. Going around ~80 mph or so mileage is about 20-21 mpg. I used to keep my Yakima roof rack on all the time, and it cut my mileage by a good 2-3 mpg.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I run stock tires (slightly over inflated), no lift, and ethanol- free gas. I get about 22-23 mpg on the freeway going 70 mph. I travel home from Columbia, SC to Chattanooga, TN which is about 320 miles. I'm always tracking my mileage. Going around ~80 mph or so mileage is about 20-21 mpg. I used to keep my Yakima roof rack on all the time, and it cut my mileage by a good 2-3 mpg.
What motor do you have?
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 AM

3.4 V6

I guess my signature doesn't auto attach with the Yotatech iPhone app?
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM

That seems fishy for a V6...I can barely squeeze 23-24 mpg out of my 2.7L...going 65 mph highway...
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM

It is. Especially going 80mph. MPG is significantly reduced in a truck at those speeds. If it were possible to get that kind of milage you would have to be going 55-60. But maybe. Ive never been able to get over 21mpg in either of my V6 trucks ever. 3.4, or 3.0. Even when they were both stock.

So im starting to think toyota must have made some trucks with special bearings and vacuum hoses allowing for significant gains in mpg.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:04 PM

Well, I calculate by dividing the number of miles driven by how many gallons I put in. To make sure I'm filling up to the same point each time, I cram as much fuel as I can into the truck until it won't take any more.

I really think the biggest contributing factor to my gas mileage is the 100% gas I put into my tank as opposed to that 10% ethanol stuff. There's a station close by me that sells 100% gas and I fill up there. When I'm traveling I use an app on my phone called Pure Gas to locate ethanol free stations.

In addition to pure gas, I also put a little marine 2 stroke oil into the gas. It's tcw3 rated stuff, and there's a huuuuuuge thread over on either ls1tech or ls1.com (can't remember which). A lot of guys (including me) have had good results putting in 1 ounce per every 5 gallons of gas. In my previous car (1995 Chevy Monte Carlo with 3100 V6) it made the engine run noticeably smoother. It also made the fuel pump super quiet when it was priming the motor. I haven't been able to hear the fuel pump in the 4Runner, so I can't comment. I can't say that I understand for sure why this works, but I like the results, so I'll keep using it.

I also take the roof rack off if it's not being used and keep it in the back. That includes the little bars that sit right on top of the roof. It helps to make this brick a little more aerodynamic on the freeway.

I used Texas Ace's method of using water, methanol, and Seafoam to clean out the upper intake, and Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase. With the truck having over 200k miles, I'm sure that helped. I also use synthetic oil (not sure how much that really helps fuel economy).

I also keep my tires at 45 PSI. I drive 320 home each weekend and I use to have to stop and refill about ~30 miles or so from my destination. After doing the above, I can make the trip without the gas light even coming on.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech

Last edited by Robb235; 12-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Well, I calculate by dividing the number of miles driven by how many gallons I put in. To make sure I'm filling up to the same point each time, I cram as much fuel as I can into the truck until it won't take any more.

I really think the biggest contributing factor to my gas mileage is the 100% gas I put into my tank as opposed to that 10% ethanol stuff. There's a station close by me that sells 100% gas and I fill up there. When I'm traveling I use an app on my phone called Pure Gas to locate ethanol free stations.

In addition to pure gas, I also put a little marine 2 stroke oil into the gas. It's tcw3 rated stuff, and there's a huuuuuuge thread over on either ls1tech or ls1.com (can't remember which). A lot of guys (including me) have had good results putting in 1 ounce per every 5 gallons of gas. In my previous car (1995 Chevy Monte Carlo with 3100 V6) it made the engine run noticeably smoother. It also made the fuel pump super quiet when it was priming the motor. I haven't been able to hear the fuel pump in the 4Runner, so I can't comment. I can't say that I understand for sure why this works, but I like the results, so I'll keep using it.

I also take the roof rack off if it's not being used and keep it in the back. That includes the little bars that sit right on top of the roof. It helps to make this brick a little more aerodynamic on the freeway.

I used Texas Ace's method of using water, methanol, and Seafoam to clean out the upper intake, and Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase. With the truck having over 200k miles, I'm sure that helped. I also use synthetic oil (not sure how much that really helps fuel economy).

I also keep my tires at 45 PSI. I drive 320 home each weekend and I use to have to stop and refill about ~30 miles or so from my destination. After doing the above, I can make the trip without the gas light even coming on.
Im not saying your not getting those results. Just that its not anywhere near typical of even a well maintained v6. A lot of things can throw these results off, like speedometer accuracy. And the fact that there are hundreds of claims of well maintained stock trucks and 4runners getting about 18-19mpg out of the 3.4 in a 4wd. Not to mention thats what mine got stock and then with 33's and 4.56 gears. It only got about 16-17 before the regear. It is a pickup so its a bit lighter then a 4runner. So its completely understandable that people are going to doubt some of the claims of over 20mpg, especially at 80mph. Most of our trucks get less then peak mpg at those speeds.

All the things you have listed are great for getting peak mpg, but nothing you have mentioned would aid in exceeding peak mpg results.

This is pretty accurate as far as the mpg pole goes. (fuel economy.gov)
-

But agian im not saying its impossible to exceed these results. But its definetly worth talking about.

I hate ethanol gas as much as everyone else, but I ran it for 3 tanks and didnt notice an mpg change of any more then 1mpg.

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 12-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
All the things you have listed are great for getting peak mpg, but nothing you have mentioned would aid in exceeding peak mpg results.
Do you really want to argue with someone who fills his gas tank to the top? (doesn't know how the whole fuel system works, or how much a new charcoal canister is)

And someone who inflates to 'maximum' 45psi? (doesn't know that psi is a function of load, what a contact patch is, or tire wear theory in general)

Someone who beleives in magick and snakeoil, fuel additives, taking off the rack cross bars with a aero drag profile of a few square inches, then drives 80mph, when the aerodynamic wall is 40mph for the brick 4Runner.

Do you think he understand exponents and air drag?
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM

Do you really want to argue with someone who fills his gas tank to the top? (doesn't know how the whole fuel system works, or how much a new charcoal canister is)

And someone who inflates to 'maximum' 45psi? (doesn't know that psi is a function of load, what a contact patch is, or tire wear theory in general)

Someone who beleives in magick and snakeoil, fuel additives, taking off the rack cross bars with a aero drag profile of a few square inches, then drives 80mph, when the aerodynamic wall is 40mph for the brick 4Runner.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:43 AM

Ethanol gas definitely decreases my mileage. I can tell by the decrease in how far I go per tank, but also by looking at my long term fuel trims. Typically my LTFTs are very slightly positive with E10, but now they're sitting around -1.7.

Just a few minutes ago I put in 12.7 gallons of gas after driving 269 miles. This was a combination of city and highway miles, but it still works out to over 20 mpg. I just put in E10 on this tank, so my mileage is probably going to be crap.

I guess my odometer could be off. I'll try to remember to use my GPS to track how far I've gone when I head back to Columbia on January 2nd.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My mileage has been varying between 19.5 and 21.5mpg with E10. Driving the mountain roads instead of freeways seems to improve it. I'm not sure my odometer is correct, though. The speedo is 2mph slow between 65 and 70. Has "factory" port option 31s, although I can't find any information on whether Toyota recalibrated anything for them or just swapped the original 28s with 31s...

Originally Posted by DailyDrive
Someone who beleives in ...... taking off the rack cross bars with a aero drag profile of a few square inches,

Roof racks have significant affect on the aerodynamic profile of the whole top of the vehicle and how air flows behind it. It's not just about the drag they incur directly from being pulled through the air.

Last edited by Dirt Driver; 12-24-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jomoka
Mine was getting higher 'indicated' MPG when I first got it and it had 245's on it too. Smaller tires = more rotations per mile = more miles on the odometer. Higher *indicated* MPG's, but not necessarily better actual MPG.

Same is true with oversized tires. There's some actual efficiency loss, but a lot of the drop in indicated MPG is just due to the drop in indicated miles.
When running 245's, what is your recommendation for finding actual MPG's?
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM

i get about 15-19 on my 3.4L. if i drive a lot of highway and stay off the pedal i'll get maybe 20. but someone mentioned different tires and gauges being off. i have 31" tires on my truck. so i'm guessing my gauge is off. could someone shoot me a PM and let me know how to change it? i'm not very keen with automotive computer systems.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM

When running 245's, what is your recommendation for finding actual MPG's?
Calibrate your speedo, or use a gps. don't understand why this is so hard for people. Dont try doing the math on the mpg based off trying to correct for the speedo being of. Chances are you will just be posting false results and misleading others so so many already have.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Has "factory" port option 31s, although I can't find any information on whether Toyota recalibrated anything for them or just swapped the original 28s with 31s...
I think they probably did something to compensate, or your speedo would be off by more then what it is. Thats a 3'' difference in tire size. Its like going from 31's to 34's. Probably axle gears, would explain it not being perfect but close. If they calibrated the speedo it should have been dead on.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DailyDrive

Wow, so somehow I missed this gem of a post until today.

I guess you got hit with the stupid stick a few too many times growing up, didn't you guy? It sounds to me like you're the one who doesn't understand most of the above mentioned concepts.

Starting with the roof rack... please just do a simple Google search of roof racks and MPGs. After market roof racks, such as the Yakima I have, have a well documented record of cutting into gas mileage. I'm not even going to bother with trying to explain aerodynamics to you, as clearly you are the one who lacks a basic understanding.

The 45 psi in my tires might be a little bit high, but I'm still playing around with it. The previous owner didn't check tire PSI and I've noticed the edges have more wear than the middle, so the high tire pressure will probably even it out. Again, slightly over inflated tires do help with MPGs. Google it.

Maybe I should have clarified how much gas I'm putting in my tank. I'm not filling it up until gas is pouring out. I forget which testing entity uses this method (Consumer Reports?), but "full" is defined as when the pump clicks three times.

As far as the "snake oil" goes, do a little research on adding TWC3 oil to the gas. There are lots of people who use this method and have reported positive gains in MPGs. In my previous car, it smoothed out the idle noticeably after a few tanks of gas. And like I mentioned before, it made the fuel pump a lot more quiet. I haven't noticed the same in the 4Runner, but if nothing else I'm extending the longevity of the fuel pump. Check it out:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-91206/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2199335&page=1

Different people report different results, but I've been happy with it.

Anyways, you lose.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:56 PM

12-13.5 with 285's and 3.5" lift
Old 12-27-2012, 06:27 PM

Not directed at the OP here, but roof racks do of coarse have wind drag and can change mpg's, but the difference isnt going to give 2, 3, or 4 more miles per every gallon. I would have a hard time seeing 1 mpgs difference. But every bit of wind resistance helps, so lots of little things could add up. And as far as I knew, we were talking about the factory roof rack?? Which would have very little effect on mpg..

stole the pic form mnttoys's thread..
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...-md-pa-208289/
Old 12-28-2012, 08:16 AM

20.3 mpg with 2000 sr5 and six cylinder engine
Old 12-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Not directed at the OP here, but roof racks do of coarse have wind drag and can change mpg's, but the difference isnt going to give 2, 3, or 4 more miles per every gallon. I would have a hard time seeing 1 mpgs difference. But every bit of wind resistance helps, so lots of little things could add up. And as far as I knew, we were talking about the factory roof rack?? Which would have very little effect on mpg..

stole the pic form mnttoys's thread..
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f109...-md-pa-208289/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/y...ss-mpg-216944/

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ce-mpg-237793/

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/genera...ck-vs-mpg.html

Last edited by Robb235; 12-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Quick Reply: What kind of mpg in your 3rd gen?