Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What Is Going On?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What Is Going On?!?!?!?

Ok, so I got some STP throttle body cleaner today. I pulled off the air tube and sprayed some cleaner in there. Then I opened up the valve and sprayed some more back there. Keeping the valve open, I scrubbed around behind it. I reattached everything a started it up. It kinda hesitated, but I gave it a little gas and it fired up. Then it started idling at 1750 RPM?!?!? I only had it set at 750. I drove it around for a bit, but it never went down. I pulled off of the road and opened up the hood. Everything looked fine, but for some odd reason (which may have nothing to do with this) the charcoal canister was bussing in pulses?!?!? What is going on???? Is it supposed to do this???? Did I mess something up??? Mybe did I get something wet???? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

oh, I have a 94 22re Pickup......

Last edited by nigeltufnel3; 04-17-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:07 PM

Look at the little rubber seal that sits at the end of the trottle cable tension adjuster. Mine has a tendency to pop off, slide down the cable and wedge itself in a bad place (keeping the throttle open a little bit).
Old 04-17-2004, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tahoe666
Look at the little rubber seal that sits at the end of the trottle cable tension adjuster. Mine has a tendency to pop off, slide down the cable and wedge itself in a bad place (keeping the throttle open a little bit).
hey thanks for the advice.....but that doesn't appear to be the case.....anyone else have any ideas?????
Old 04-17-2004, 04:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nigel,

man, kill the extra ????? marks! relax, my man

first, did you pull out any vaccuum tubes? if so, make sure they are all plugged back into their proper places

second, check your throttle cable. if it idles high, quite possibly there is too much tension or a kink causing the TC to be pulled

third, at the butterfly valve hinge, try spraying some more cleaner in there. quite possibly the excess crap you cleaned out might have gummed up the hinge.

bob
Old 04-17-2004, 05:05 PM

hey thanks bob, sorry about the extra ?'s. I checked all that stuff out, but maybe i'll do it again. there's not some sort of o-ring or anything in the butterfly valve that i could have jarred loose, is there? thanks again for the help.
Old 04-17-2004, 05:18 PM
Contributing Member

Your butterfly could be sticking open. No big deal, just oil your butterfly with a little 3in1 or something like that. Also, after a TB cleaning there is a tendency to idle high. You should be able to adjust your idle. Since you idle is so high, it leads me to think that isn't the only problem hence the sticking butterfly. The hesitation on the first start-up is normal.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
nigel,

there might be but im not sure. my guess would be 'no'.

question: was this the first time you cleaned out your TB? quite possibly your mechanic kept adjusting the idling to compensate from the effects of carbon build up. now that is clean, the idle setting is high. just a guess.

i dont know how oyu adjust your throttle on your year's engine but maybe it would be just as simple as adjusting it downward.

bob