Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What gains to expect with URD kit + Supra MAF??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What gains to expect with URD kit + Supra MAF??

Howdie,

I have to full URD setup running with the deckplate out, and am shortly getting an Airraid intake tube. My question(s), what kind of gains would the increased air flow of the Supra MAF get me, and is the FTC that comes with the URD kit able to compensate for the increased flow?

Any first hand experience? Gadget, input?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2006, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yoda-g2
Howdie,

I have to full URD setup running with the deckplate out, and am shortly getting an Airraid intake tube. My question(s), what kind of gains would the increased air flow of the Supra MAF get me, and is the FTC that comes with the URD kit able to compensate for the increased flow?

Any first hand experience? Gadget, input?

Thanks!
The FTC will compensate for the increased flow. You will have to richen up your fuel map. (sounds counter intuative doesn't it) I run 10.2-10.4 in the vacuume area. Can't speak for the gain since I have never dynoed it.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:38 AM

I would save the money on the intake tube, if you want a louder intake just do the "golf ball mod" it has been dynoed and the intake tubes do not give any Hp over a good filter and a deck plate. As for the Supra MAF, yeah what "elnip" said my numbers were about the same and if I remember right up around 2-3psi right before open loop I was up to 11ish on the FTC. I think Gadget even dynoed the results from the MAF and there was some measurable gains, in fact I beleive he still uses one on his rig.

That reminds me I still have that MAF sitting on my shelf from when I sold off everything to get gears and ARB's...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My question(s), what kind of gains would the increased air flow of the Supra MAF get me, and is the FTC that comes with the URD kit able to compensate for the increased flow?
Elnip is correct that the FTC can be retuned for the extra air flow. Be sure that you have some way of knowing your A/FR and plan on tunning SOON after adding the MAF. Reason being that the setup will initially run lean at WOT since the FTC hasn't been tweaked.

As for "how much" gain you'll get, that's hard to say. Gadget mentions results with a modified VPC on his site:
http://www.gadgetonline.com/Fuel.htm...e%20Converter:

From that chart, it looks like a gain of 26hp. I don't know how this would compare to a straight Supra MAF swap. I can tell you though that in a S/C engine, the stock MAF _is_ a restriction. So anything to get more air through there will help.

Originally Posted by AK95Taco
I would save the money on the intake tube, if you want a louder intake just do the "golf ball mod" it has been dynoed and the intake tubes do not give any Hp over a good filter and a deck plate.
Two things - the problem with plugging the holes in the stock tube is that the plugs can fall out (or fall into!) and cause some interesting "OMG WTF!" moments. I had the situation of a cap falling into the tube, another member here had the problem of them falling out.

Performance wise... Anything that's said about modifying the intake to to produce HP is wrong (as you said). You modify the tube to increase throttle response, and to increase intake noise.

That reminds me I still have that MAF sitting on my shelf from when I sold off everything to get gears and ARB's...
Wanna sell it?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the input guys. Here's a couple more for you. Will the TT MAF flow more than my current '99 MAF? I've been doing some research and it seems like most guys talk about puting them on '96-'98 rigs. Also will I be able to modify my current air box to make this work, or will I need an air box off an earlier model?
Old 04-21-2006, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the input guys. Here's a couple more for you. Will the TT MAF flow more than my current '99 MAF? I've been doing some research and it seems like most guys talk about puting them on '96-'98 rigs. Also will I be able to modify my current air box to make this work, or will I need an air box off an earlier model?
The MAF of the 99+ is the same size as the 95-98 it’s just mounted differently, see HERE

The short of it is yes you can use the Supra MAF with your stock box but it takes some “creative modifications”. The easy solution is just to replace it with a pre-99 box.

Originally Posted by midiwall
Wanna sell it?
Sure, I have the MAF, modified stock air tube, and a pre-99 box with a deck plate already installed. How about $125 for everything shipped to your door? PICTURE
Old 04-21-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by AK95Taco
Sure, I have the MAF, modified stock air tube, and a pre-99 box with a deck plate already installed. How about $125 for everything shipped to your door? PICTURE
PM coming at cha'!
Old 04-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

mark one day i would love a ride in your truck, i have never been in a s/c yota
Old 04-21-2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by HUTCHSTACO
mark one day i would love a ride in your truck, i have never been in a s/c yota
And now with the new tranny & torque converter and things really coming together, and a new new surprise in a couple of weeks. I did some tuning last night on the top end. It's moving pretty good right now.

We can make it happen dude. But be warned, keep in mind that however you feel about the performance I'm getting, your Taco will run even better - you're 1000lbs lighter than I am!

I owe some time to other folks and have to make good on that (Sorry Glenn!), but I promise that we'll go for a ride before you start dropping the big $$$.