Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What does this joint doohicky do? (picture)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 PM

Location: Las Vegas.. Soon to be heading for south america in the 4R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does this joint doohicky do? (picture)

[IMG]untitled.gif[/IMG]

this is atached behind the transfer case. it popped out today and i had some seriouse power issues getting up a hill with my brand new tires (BFG mud terrain 32's), a hill i climbed yesterday with some crappy "futura scramblers" (pep boy brand).

dont know if the power issue is related.. but what does that part do? i know it connects to something from my tranny shifter, or my 4wd shifter, but i cant follow it without starting to remove stuff.. so i thoguht id ask here first..

any help welcome.
Attached Thumbnails What does this joint doohicky do? (picture)-untitled.gif  
Old 04-11-2005, 07:57 PM

PS if you need to see a bigger picture of the whole area i can send..
thanks
Old 04-11-2005, 08:39 PM

yeah, a bigger pic of the whole area would help
Old 04-11-2005, 09:08 PM

Looks like the shift linkage pivot mechanism for the 4wd transfercase. Assuming you have an A340H auto trans.

Shouldn't effect power unless for some reason it is not shifting the transfercase into gear properly.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:19 PM

that sounds right dirtoy. so what happens if that is dislocated? will it not shift into 4wd? from what you can see, what can i do to get it further into its socket.. cuz it doesnt look correct.. can i see a pic of someone elses to see what it should look like?

Last edited by 2WICE; 04-11-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 PM

I have dealt with mine many times actually.. For a different reason however. On mine the driveshaft bolts actually hit the top section of the bracket under hard acceleration(the part that is bolted to the body) and that pulls on the bottom linkage. So I often take the middle piece off (the part that is bolted to the transfercase) and have to put it back together.

What happens, on mine at least, the middle section is basically just a pivot for the linkage. At the pivot point, if you unbolt the middle section, and pull it upward and off, you will see two half circle parts. These parts fit around the pivot sort of like a ball and socket, allowing for smooth operation. Mine often falls apart and just causes a loose feel to the shifting. But it still operates.

Sounds complicated, but just unbolt the two bolts that hold it on the transfercase bracket and pull up, you will see what I mean. However if you wiggle the pivot side to side, and it does not move, then its fine. If there is play in it, you will just need to fix the two half circles inside the pivot. The up and down slop has always been there on mine.

I imagine its not related to your problem, mine has always shifted fine even when knocked loose. It looks to me like your grease boot has simply fallen down from the top part of the pivot.

Sorry for the novel.. :-)
Old 04-11-2005, 09:53 PM

thanks for the help.. gonna get out there and wrench on it right now..

had this truck for almsot a thousand miles now and so many little problems (althought i messed up and that was the beggining of all these lil drive line problems)

again, if it was completely out of the socket.. then i would be having seriosue issues with 4wd, right?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:03 PM

Mine has never fell completely out of socket, just loose.. Although I imagine it could throw off the adjustment. I think your best bet would be to shift it and make sure the 4wd light comes on. then kick it into low and make sure it drops to low range.

Mine started doing it after I accidentally slammed the frame down on a log.. Luckly for the body lift otherwise there would have been dents involved. Basically high centered the truck on the log with all the weight barring on the trans and mount.. I have a feeling I ripped the rubber mount enough that the trans actually twists its self high enough to hit the driveshaft bolts on the shift linkage. I can hear it knocking and my center console shakes. (its right above where the pivot mounts). However this will only happen in high torque situations, like pulling a boat from a standstill on a steep hill, stuff like that.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:53 PM

screwed myne by running into a very stationary rock on a downhill. the rock was shaped as to screw things up perfectly.. to the point where i needed to get a pull going downhill.. tweaked my t case cross member about 5cm up into the t case, now it is against the t case. bin downhill since then. going to replace the cross member with a junkyard part one of these days. it would shift into 4wd today. but i was getting seriouse problems with power. but second part to my power issues was i noticed the battery shifted against a pulley, so at the angle i was at the battery was leanign even more against the pulley, that prolly sucked a lot of power (good thing i didnt bust through the battery casing.. i can see where it was wearing it down though).

just got back from taking the female part of the joint off and re greasing it for kicks, and putting it back, using a lighter to melt the rubber boot together again.. and zip-tieing the boot to it. it seems to fit a lot better now.. lets see what happens 2morro..

thanks for your insight