Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What do you use to clean windows???

Old 10-28-2003, 07:02 AM
Ant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you use to clean windows???

I'm about ready to use a belt sander! I swear Toyota must put something on thier new trucks cuz no matter how hard I try I can't get a clean window!!!!
Old 10-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

DON'T use an ammonia based cleaner, Windex, Fantastic, etc. it will streak and stain your delicate black interior dash and door material.

I have had limited luck using a cotton terry cloth towel and just water. Better yet, try a eyeglass towel you can buy from Pearle Vision, etc.

Toyota apparently puts a coating on the surface to help water bead. But that is on the outside, the inside is still foggy at certain times of the day.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try diluted rubbing alcohol or maybe even diluted acetone. Either should cut the film while still having enough of a vapor pressure to evaporate quickly without fogging.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

I've been using the Griots stuff on Coreys recommendation. I do like it. I have also started using it in the house on full wall mirrors, works great. Kit comes with 150 Lint-Free towels.

Griots Ultimate Window Cleaning Kit $24.95

Old 10-28-2003, 08:27 AM

RE: I'm about ready to use a belt sander! I swear Toyota must put something on thier new trucks cuz no matter how hard I try I can't get a clean window!!!!

Here are my problems with the damn windows!!!

I had some kind of liquid leaked on the windshield while parked in a garage. That left a runny streak on the windshield that I cannot get out.

Then, I washed the car and did not get to the windshield on time and now I have waterspots all over the windshield. Again nothing I have tried worked.

I tried ammonia and non-ammonia based cleaning products too. I even tried a cleaner wax. I resorted to using a razorblade NO LUCK! I am about ready to put a sander on it

It has not rained in SoCal yet, but this damn film they put on the windshield better work! Because it's done more ˟˟˟˟˟ than anything else!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:27 AM

I've also had trouble keeping the windows of my Tacoma clean. On the Zaino site is a Guru's Report on Car Wax, Window cleaner and, soon to come, tire care. I ordered the reports to see what they had. Their top pick for window cleaning was Bon Ami glass and surface cleaner. True Value hardware stores carry it or you can find it online. So far, it's the best stuff I have found for cleaning automotive glass. I'm very happy with it!
Old 10-28-2003, 08:36 AM

Outside Windows: RainX Cleaner and Water guard.

Inside Windows: water and vinegar solution, use newspaper to clean with as it leaves no streaks or leftover fuzzy stuff on glass.

Cost to you:
Newspaper - Free, if you read.
Vinegar - Free, if you like salad. (recomended Heinz white vinegar)

This combo definitely works the best.

Last edited by Denk; 10-28-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:38 AM

I used this cleaner from Costco. It works great on everything! EXCEPT it cannot get those damn spots and streaks off the 4runner. but it does clean it well though. Just not the permanent streaks.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...97067685biqUkR

Last edited by timber725; 10-28-2003 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:48 AM

I like this stuff
http://www.properautocare.com/cl-v32.html

and don't forget the Vipor towels at the bottom of the page. They don't leave any streaks.

cheers,

Joe
Old 10-28-2003, 09:58 AM

good glass cleaner no streaks at all. cant find the manufactures website but here is a link to it at a store. also you use newpaper when you use it, this stuff is the best.

Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/autogeek/stoninglas.html

for hard stains and if you dont what to use a spray cleaner then this is what you want.

Zaino Z-12™ Clear-View Glass Polish

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Chris
Old 10-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cure for Hard Water spots:

Get some 000 grade Steel Wool and some rain-X. In a shady place, apply the rain-X as directed, the follow up with some more soaked into one of the steel wool pads. Buff the glass, then remove the rain-x as directed. It will get off any hard water spots and streaks that are on the surface. If there is anything left, then it WILL NOT come off.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn
good glass cleaner no streaks at all. cant find the manufactures website but here is a link to it at a store. also you use newpaper when you use it, this stuff is the best.

for hard stains and if you dont what to use a spray cleaner then this is what you want.

Chris
We buy the Stoner products at work directly from them.

http://www.stonersolutions.com/index.htm

Their glass cleaner and their plastics cleaners work better than anything I've found...
Old 10-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Are you talking about the inside glass or outside glass. I use a product from Duragloss called Nu-Gloss. It works wonders on rain spots!!! Great for both inside and outside glass. see https://www.duragloss.com/new/index2.html for more information.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:36 AM

I recently bought a truck that had been sitting near a sprinkler for a LONG time. The hard water mineral deposits were bad- I had to use a fairly abrasive compound to clean up the paint, and even straight vinigar wouldn't remove the spots on the windows. Out of desperation, I tried Invisible Glass Cleaner after the dude at AutoZone recommended it. IT WORKED. It took three applications, but made a visable difference after one wipe down.

Later
Old 10-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bamachem
Cure for Hard Water spots:

Get some 000 grade Steel Wool and some rain-X. In a shady place, apply the rain-X as directed, the follow up with some more soaked into one of the steel wool pads. Buff the glass, then remove the rain-x as directed. It will get off any hard water spots and streaks that are on the surface. If there is anything left, then it WILL NOT come off.
For the outside glass, I use Bon-Ami powder on a wet sponge. Works great! I have heard of the steel wool thing but have not tried it.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:42 PM

I have the same problem with deposits on the outside glass. Nothing I've tried works, even a razor blade, so my next plan is a buffer and glass polish (either Duragloss or Zainos). Something with an abrasive.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:10 PM
Ant

Originally posted by impulsebrklyn

Chris
Just came home from Pepboys and they had the Stoner cleaner, completely forgot it was recommended! Ended up with some stuff made by Tutlewax called 'Clearvue' (works really good btw)
Old 10-28-2003, 07:28 PM

i use windex and a piece of cloth ... then wipe it down with some newspaper ...
Old 10-28-2003, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

I use Armor-All Glass Wipes, they are in a plue and white plastic container at like Wal-Mart and probably any auto parts store. Of all the Armor All products, this one actually works and keeps working. I use pretty much all of their wipes! They're really good...I rarely ever use the Protectant Wipes cause they make things WAAAAYY to slippery.

But I reccommend the Armor All Glass Wipes...

Fink
Old 10-29-2003, 08:39 PM

Guys

I had a problem with my 99 it had a strange film all over the front windshield that would not come off. I used some mildly abrasive red oxide powder that we use on the windows of our boats at work. Wet a dish sponge and put some powder on it then rub the window, you will see the film come off. I know you can get the powder at marine stores or at a windshield shop. Don't worry about scratching the window with it I rubbed like crazy and the glass looks like new.

Jason

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do you use to clean windows???