Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: What to do with my '87 Turbo 4Runner?
Fix the manifold and turbo and dash and get the tranny rebuilt
22.22%
Fix the manifold and turbo and dash and drop in a manual tranny
55.56%
Sell her and get something else
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What do do with my '87 Turbo 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do do with my '87 Turbo 4Runner

Greetings. This is my first post on this board (just found it).
She's got a 4cyl. Turbo engine; currently with a cracked exhaust manifold. The main bearing on the Turbo needs to be replaced (my mechanic said ~$200 to fix). There's some 'odd shifting action' coming from the automatic tranny that's got me worried (~$1000 to rebuild). I just had the engine rebuilt about 2 months ago (due to damage to the engine, had to bore the cyclinders out .030).

Other things she has are power windows, power side mirrors, digital dash, dash-mounted altimeter, cruise control.

Speaking of the dash, the engine temp gauge doesn't work any more. Anyone have any info on how to fix it? It's not the sensor.

When I first got her she simply purred doing 90mph down the freeways. Now I limp her along for fear of dropping the tranny out.

Should I
a) Fix the manifold and turbo and dash and get the tranny rebuilt
b) Fix the manifold and turbo and dash and drop in a manual tranny
c) Sell her and get something else

If c, how much should I ask? She's in pretty good shape for her age, but has several mechanical problems.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Briareus, and welcome to the board.
Wow, that does sound like a lot of work.
But if you really like the rig, I would just fix it, and it's going to run good again.

If you have the know how to do the tranny swap, you will get more power going to the stick.
Mark R on the forum here has an '88 4Runner that he did exactly that.
Here is the direct URL to his swap, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to share his info with you on his swap.

I'd definitely get the manifold and the turbo fixed 1st. Who knows, the auto tranny might be something not as bad as a rebuild if you do a little more checking into it.
But if it is, then I would seriously consider the swap.
Corey
Old 07-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

First off, welcome to the board Briareus!!

Secondly, you as might as well close the poll.. I think everyone here is will go with B (except Adam he'll make a letter H and say sell it but buy a corolla, err I mean audi.. ), we all wish we had 5 speeds and turbo to boot.. Besides by the time you sell and purchase something esle you could have had this baby fixed up and having fun..

Chris
Old 07-09-2002, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
letter H, part it out and sell the digital dash to me

muhahahahahahahahahah

Old 07-10-2002, 06:29 AM
Banned

Option B, with additions. I feel that with a manual you have to actually drive and not just steer. Add a 2nd transfer case, straight front axle, bob the cargo area. That's about it. Have fun.

Those Turbo Runners are pretty rare, only made 1 or 2 years and less than 1/2 made in those years were turbos.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the board! When do we get to see some pics of your runner?
Old 07-12-2002, 04:53 PM

Welcome here, by the way! It is good to have you here. I voted for the third option, only by personal preference though! My thoughts, don't take them to heart, just my opinion...

If I had the same problem, I would sell it. It is an '87 and it will probably take more repairs than it is worth. If you love the vehicle, then by all means go for it and fix it. If my '92 had the same problem, I would fix it, I love it that much. Do what you want, it depends how much you love this vehicle and what you want to get out of it! How many miles are on it? Is it in good shape? These are all factors that I would take into consideration before putting all that money into it! Goodluck and let us know what you do.

P.S. Like I said, this is only my opinion, please do not take anything to heart. Just some advice of sorts, rather an opinion. Goodluck again! :fireman:
Old 08-21-2002, 10:09 PM

simple solution, give it to me!!
Old 08-22-2002, 01:13 AM

1 - Welcome to the forum, you'll find (as I have) that most of these guys will say "to heck with wallet and run with the mod"

2 - Personally, I would have to dis-agree with BTown on this one. That engine is sweet, worth the repairs. The digital dash and electonic/electic options are great. Toss the tranny and go SR5.
I do have to agree with BTown on the fact that you should seriously assess the overall condition of the truck and factor in your personal feelings toward it, before deciding.

If you should decide that it's not worth repairing and you do want to sell it off, remember it's only an '87, and you may make more money parting it out. With that said, you could crate that motor, and I'ld probably even pay the shipping to get it up here.

That's my .02$CAN, .033$US

Fred
Old 08-22-2002, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

If you don't do any wheelin', turn it into a street machine. Swap the tranny, rebuild the head with a better cam/valves, etc, put a pigger turbo in it, rebuild the rest of the engine with new pistons/rods, etc, and when you're done, if you have any money left over, give it to me!

If I had a turbo 4Runner, that's what I'd do. I'd turn it into a street machine, but I wouldn't lower it at all.

Just my 2 cents but I have no sense.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:33 PM

might I ask, how slow is your turbo 87? I only got 55 on a hilly 1/4 mile road, but it takes FOREVER to get 30. Same w/ urs?