Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What to do about header??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 07:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What to do about header??

Ok I need help from someone in the know. I can get a TRD Header + shipping for less than I can for the price of an LCE header without shipping. Are the two headers about the same performance wise? Is one better than the other? Can someone please give me some feedback I have putting off purchasing a new header until the weather got nice and now it is nice and warm. You guy's on here are chocked full of knowledge and I know someone can steer me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 04-03-2003, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard LCE can be a real pain. Their customer service is not known to be that great. If the TRD price is comparable, go with that.

I am not sure about the performance difference of the two, if any.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:36 AM

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the input. Unfortunatly I have heard the same thing about TRD's customer service from a couple of people on other boards. The TRD dealer is the one from the Yota link page (toyotapartsforyou.com) I believe. They quoted me $318 for everything shipping included. So I don't know if I will use them. What would be great is to find a TRD dealer in Maryland that will sell it to me for the same price, that way I could just pick it up.
B
Old 04-04-2003, 07:27 AM
Contributing Member

have you thought of looking into some Downey headers?

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/2_5_Headers.htm

just thought I'd pass this info to ya since you're still in the initial phase of looking
Old 04-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Are you going ot get the headers ceramically coated? If so, then someone had recommended to me to irder from the dealer right next to performance coating in Oregon. THe dealer will take it to PC, have them coated for you, and then ship them to you. THat way you only pay for shipping once, instead of three times.

Here is a link that helped me a lot:

http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimateb...;f=13;t=016101
Old 04-04-2003, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the input.

Well I had concidered the Downey also but so many people have raved about the LCE header that I was convinced that was the way to go. Also I seem to remember seeing some post about the gaskets on the Downey failing and having to be replaced. Don't know if that was on this board or not. Not to say that the Downey is bad just didn't get a good vibe from the people that have commented on them.

But then I found the TRD header for $288.00+ shipping($30.00) and figured that the TRD would be the way to go. I hadn't heard any comments on the TRD header good or bad so that is what I am trying to decide after I got some feedback from people that have or had tried both.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

I have the TRD headers ... Nice sound, a lot more horse power.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by sdastg1
Are you going ot get the headers ceramically coated? If so, then someone had recommended to me to irder from the dealer right next to performance coating in Oregon. THe dealer will take it to PC, have them coated for you, and then ship them to you. THat way you only pay for shipping once, instead of three times.

Here is a link that helped me a lot:

http://www.4x4wire.com/ubb/ultimateb...;f=13;t=016101
According to the TRD web site the headers for the 22RE are already ceramically coated so I won't need to get them coated.

Did any of you with the LCE headers get them coated? They say they are made from 304 Stainless so they should hold up to the elements.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:12 PM

I do have the TRD headers as well and they sure sound good.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:37 PM

Are any of you running headers with the STOCK exhaust?

Will you please comment on performance, sound, etc.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

I have the OE exhaust still, one b/c I didn't have the funds readily available for the cat back. Second, I haven't decided if I wanted to go with TRD or do a magnaflow or something else. But even with the OE exhaust there is still a noticable increase in HP
Old 04-04-2003, 06:38 PM

I have the OE exhaust still, one b/c I didn't have the funds readily available for the cat back. Second, I haven't decided if I wanted to go with TRD or do a magnaflow or something else. But even with the OE exhaust there is still a noticable increase in HP
Finally! :pat:
You're the guy I wanted to talk to. Dr. Z told me there was someone in this thread who had the TRD headers without the catback exhaust, but ... the rig was NA. That's you right? My truck is SC'd.

I have the TRD catback exhaust, which I just took off after only 3700 miles. I am selling it for $400 plus shipping and it is in excellent condition with a stainless steel TRD tip. The reason why I am selling it is because the sound is too loud for my taste. What I want to do is install the TRD headers with the OE exhaust system.

I believe that the addition of the TRD headers alone will improve scavenging w/o sacrificing to much back pressure, thereby giving a nice compromise between low end and high end torque. It will also reduce internal engine heat soak and as an benefit, improve the sound of the OE exhaust just enough to give it a nice humble rumble

Will you please explain to me what you experienced when you installed the headers. Please be as detailed as possible and tell me the pros and the cons as you see them.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:20 AM

Thanks

I would like to say thank you to all that have replied with some great info. I will be ordering my LCE header next week and will let you know how it goes. Thaks again for the help.
Brad
Old 04-08-2003, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

It might have been a different thread, but I had offered $150 for your exhaust, partly as a joke, but hey, you never know.

As far as the install, I drove a 100 miles into Indiana and had a reputable dealer there put it in for me. I love working on my truck, but I didn't have the set up here to take on this project. second, from what I had read about everyone else who tried installing the headers, it was a pretty intense install. I just found it easier to pay about $350 to get it put in.

sorry I wasn't too much of a help.
Old 04-08-2003, 04:57 PM

It might have been a different thread, but I had offered $150 for your exhaust, partly as a joke, but hey, you never know.

As far as the install, I drove a 100 miles into Indiana and had a reputable dealer there put it in for me. I love working on my truck, but I didn't have the set up here to take on this project. second, from what I had read about everyone else who tried installing the headers, it was a pretty intense install. I just found it easier to pay about $350 to get it put in.

sorry I wasn't too much of a help.
Say, aren't you the dude that asked this astute question regarding my classified Ad for the TRD catback?

"How many extra HP does the original box add?"

Boy, I just love your sense of humor …
But, I was hoping you’d answer the question I asked you earlier on … I did ask you a question!

Now I’m not clear as to whether you have installed a catback exhaust, coupled with the TRD headers that you indicate on your tag line that you have.

Can I get you to please address that question again?
TIA