Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What a difference an exhaust makes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a difference an exhaust makes!

It has been two weeks since I got my 2-1/4" cat-back exhaust put on. I was told before I got it that better gas milage was going to be a benefit of putting it on. I was like ok, maybe I will get alittle more milage out of a tank, but not enough worth talking about. But yesterday I saw a hug difference. I drive to school everyday, 30 miles one way. That is 60 both ways plus putting around town and to work everyday. Before I had my exhaust, I would have a quarter of a tank at the end of the day Wed. and I would have to fill it up for the rest of the week. Well, now that I have the exhaust, I see that by the end of the day Wed., I have just under a half of a tank. I actually drove Thurs and had a quarter. So that is like 60 more mile than I usually get. That is great. I am sure the Chevron Techron that I add also adds to this, but that is great. Another benefit to better power is added gas mileage. I would totally recommend doing this to your 4Runner if you have not already done it. Your wallet will thank you! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-07-2002, 05:49 AM

Thats good to hear. I've been a fan of headers and less restrictive mufflers for a long time. Sometimes you get a combination that makes you just happy to hear it.. I dont think women in general appreciate this kind of thing. Whatever; I'm not embarassed to say having a royal exhaust note is important to me

M
Old 06-07-2002, 06:20 AM

Yeah, I have no problem with the sound of mine. I really like it. In my town, there are alot of Rice Rockets and they are LOUD. Mine is not too bad and low, so I feel as if I am ok with it. Good sound is better than a million weed whackers! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-07-2002, 06:48 AM

Ryan,
If you keep making posts like this I am going to have to start trying to talk the W into a new muffler. The only problem is that I can hear the my next door neighbor now as it fires up at high idle in the garage. I live in a 1 floor townhouse with a common wall, although the garage is in the front and there is a space seperating the garages. Oh well!

Phil,
Can you imagine my gas milage as I listened to the seranade from the muffler and the SC'r.

Ron
Old 06-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I still get a kick out of how my muffler sounds.
I know it doesn't add gobs of power, but it sure is fun to listen to it as you take off from an idle.

Now if only I could keep up with the little import low riders that pull up next to me and flash their exhausts at me.
If they don't watch it, there will be new meaning of how to test your sliderz posted here later

Oh, just paddin' the post count here, Ryan seems to have caught up to me
I have never had that happen before, I must be slippin'.
Old 06-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Corey
Now if only I could keep up with the little import low riders that pull up next to me and flash their exhausts at me.
If they don't watch it, there will be new meaning of how to test your sliderz posted here later

HA HA LOL LOL LOL I know exactly what you mean!!!!
Old 06-07-2002, 06:22 PM

LOL, I hear ya Corey. You have to keep up with the Forum and don't have time to post. It is cool, you are still the king in my eyes . Good job on the forum though, you are doing an excellent job. Thanks from all of us!

I know I can't keep up with the imports, so what I do is get behind them at stop lights and pull up about 1 inch away from them. That'll scare 'em...I think :rolleyes:

Yeah, I would def. recommend getting an exhaust. If just for the sound, that would be well worth it! I totally love mine and just listen to it sometime. I wish I would have known sooner. I would have gotten it sooner. :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-07-2002, 07:03 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks Ryan for the nice comments. That makes the creation of the forum here worth all the time & effort the staff here has put into it.
It has been a lot of work, and a learning experience.

I too get my ARB right up on the rear bumpers of them thar little imports that buzz around me and cut in front of me without using their signals.
I hate that more than anything.
Hopefully the ARB will intimidate them a little.

When that happens to me, I utter the infamous words of the Gungdun Jar Jar Binks, "How rude!"
He says that so many times in The Phantom Menace it cracks me up.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:18 PM

Man its great to get opened wide.
Just got Magnaflowed yesterday. When I started her up and backed her off the rack, the low tone sound just gave me a ˟˟˟˟ eatin' grin.
Old 06-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

What size of Magnaflow are you guys using on a second gen. I am trying to get an exhaust done here in the UK and I want to just buy the muffler and a tip and have it fabricated. I need to know what to buy as far as the muffler goes.
Old 06-08-2002, 09:27 PM

Cool

Hey sm4runner...congrats on yer new sounds I tried to sneak my Flowmaster past my wife and she thought our brand new Runner had a major defect! hehe. What's up with the shaka avatar? You from here man?
butnut
Old 06-09-2002, 09:04 AM

Yeah, SM4Runner, congrats on the mod. I am glad that you like it. I love mine. It is great. The sound is great. Just don't drive with your head out of the window too long, the bugs get stuck in your teeth Have fun though! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-10-2002, 05:56 PM

I put the DynoMax ST on my 2nd generation, the parts stdealer says the "book" has the 4cyl and the 6cyl taking the same DynoMax ST stock # with the 2" pipes. I tell him I want the 2.25" pipes and he says that they don't make them for the '93' 4Runner.

So, I put the 2" pipes on and I'm not real happy. :cry:
Yeah I get the rumble and howl like I've got big balls, but when I punch it, I get the big balls turned to pea size, NO FCKN POWER.

Now the wife is bitching, says it sounds like a frickin rice rocket with no balls. (That hurt):cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm going to try the 2.25" pipes, (Corey, the YOTAMAN , gave me lots of help, thanks) after I track down a place to get them made and installed.

As for gas mileage, I'm getting worse than before!!!

I hope the 2.25" pipes will rectify that.

HAL>
Old 06-10-2002, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I am sure that the 2-1/4" exhaust tubing will help. It helped me alot and I too have Corey to thank for that! Yeah, he is the Yota MAN! :beaver:

-Ryan