Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What to change in Timing Belt service?

Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
LV_4Runner

What to change in Timing Belt service?

I am about to do the 2nd T-belt service on my 97 SR5 4WD at 115k miles.
I know I am going to change waterpump all together... However,

What else should I change? Tensioner? Hoses?

Thank you.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt tensioner, idler bearing, water pump. I also changed fuel filter, thermostat, and drive belts.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by naksukow
Belt tensioner, idler bearing, water pump. I also changed fuel filter, thermostat, and drive belts.
i did all of the above minus the fuel filter (done at 112k) but add rad\coolant flush

tranny flush brake flush, axle flush

tcase was flushed not even 1000mi ago

regular matience is a gooood thing
Old 07-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

This is only my first timing belt change but when I get mine changed I'm doing all of the drive belts as well...all my fluids and stuff were changed at around 87k.

Fink
Old 07-04-2005, 08:28 AM

most people replace all the drive belts along with the timing belt. and the water pump since it doesnt really cost much more in labor to do.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Why are you doing the 2nd one so soon. The book says every 90k miles.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Why are you doing the 2nd one so soon. The book says every 90k miles.
Some people like doing them at 60k miles, which I kind of agree with. Timings belts are kind of like brakes, if they break you are screwed.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

At 90k does it make any sense to do the water pump or anything else? What about the fuel filter? 02 sensor? Cap/Rotor/Wires?

I'm just not familiar with the 3.4 as much as I was with the 3.0, still learning what tends to go out the fastest.

Fink
Old 07-05-2005, 08:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
look in the maintenance section and you will find a link to the automated service interval/service item website. that will tell you waht you need to do
Old 07-05-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Some people like doing them at 60k miles, which I kind of agree with. Timings belts are kind of like brakes, if they break you are screwed.
Actually it's not quite that bad. The 3.4 is not an interference design, which means even if the t-belt does break it won't harm the engine. It will just leave you stranded...

I did mine at 90k. I don't intend to do it again until 180k.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roger
Actually it's not quite that bad. The 3.4 is not an interference design, which means even if the t-belt does break it won't harm the engine. It will just leave you stranded...

and i've got over 139k on mine and still haven't done it yet. i've inspected it, and it looks fine, but that all depends on the rig...
Old 07-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by roger

Well don't you learn something new every day! Thanks a lot for that info, I was always under the impression that if your timing belt breaks, you will have a lock down and you'll be in big trouble.

Is there anywhere I can find more info about different engine types and why some explode with timing belt failure and why some don't? Thanks again,

Marko
Old 07-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Just google it or search on here...the difference in interference and non-interference engines. There should be lots of info about this.

Fink
Old 07-06-2005, 07:28 AM

I just had my timing belt replaced at 113k.
The one they took out looked brand new.
Probably would have lasted another 200k miles.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just changed the timing belt yesterday on my 97 3.4. I also changed the radiator hoses, tensioner pulley and idler pulley. I think one of the pulleys were making a bit of noise since the engine was much quieter after the change. I ended up going back up to the parts store while I had it apart to get new a/c, power steering and alternator belts as well, since they're sort of a p.i.t.a. to get to. In addition to the water pump, I'd recommend changing the thermostat if you haven't changed it yet. Access is much easier with all the belts removed.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 111db
I just changed the timing belt yesterday on my 97 3.4. I also changed the radiator hoses, tensioner pulley and idler pulley. I think one of the pulleys were making a bit of noise since the engine was much quieter after the change. I ended up going back up to the parts store while I had it apart to get new a/c, power steering and alternator belts as well, since they're sort of a p.i.t.a. to get to. In addition to the water pump, I'd recommend changing the thermostat if you haven't changed it yet. Access is much easier with all the belts removed.
How many miles did you have when you did all this? I'm not sure that I would need to replace all of that now...my drive belts are in desperate need of replacing and I'm not sure if I should spring from the t-belt and all the other stuff people have said or what...what do you guys think? Do it now or wait?

I know the A/C tensioner went out on my 2nd gen but that was with like 135xxx miles on it...doubt my 3rd gen needs that done quite yet.

Fink
Old 07-09-2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
How many miles did you have when you did all this? I'm not sure that I would need to replace all of that now...my drive belts are in desperate need of replacing and I'm not sure if I should spring from the t-belt and all the other stuff people have said or what...what do you guys think? Do it now or wait?
I know the A/C tensioner went out on my 2nd gen but that was with like 135xxx miles on it...doubt my 3rd gen needs that done quite yet.
My truck just turned 115k last week. The accessory belts were almost half the work of the timing belt job! The tensioners on the 3rd gen can't really go bad, unless they rust - they're just a threaded rod. But, access is kind of a pain, especially for the P/S tensioner. But that being said, I wouldn't change a timing belt just because you're changing accessory belts. I think that's what you're asking.

One other thing I neglected to note: I see a lot of guys talking about the timing belt tensioner tool. I was a little concerned about the job since I dropped some cash on factory parts and didn't bother to drop $60 for a tool I was gonna use one time. You don't need it. Even if you don't change the tensioner pully, you can pull the tensioner spring unit out with just two bolts. The aft bolt is a little tricky to get to, but a 12mm socket on a wobble extension can get it from below. You may need to remove two 10mm bolts from the flat wire loom that goes across the front of the oil pan, and push the loom toward the drivers side of the engine.
Old 07-09-2005, 07:56 PM

I was looking into having the same work done. The dealership quoted me $571 for timing belt and water pump.... ($158 parts, $376 labor) is that a fair estimate? Just wondering what some of you others payed...
Old 07-10-2005, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Airborne11B
I was looking into having the same work done. The dealership quoted me $571 for timing belt and water pump.... ($158 parts, $376 labor) is that a fair estimate? Just wondering what some of you others payed...
I think most of this thread pertains to the 3.4, not the 3.0. So, the dollars are going to be different for your truck. All the OEM parts I listed before for my 3.4 were under $300. But, see if your dealership is cool with you buying OEM parts from another source (Dallas Toyota - where you can get a nice discount). That would help cut down on cost. I'm almost positive that $158 isn't anything more than a belt and pump.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds like it's just a gamble on the t-belt, whether it will go out or not. I will probably just go ahead and do it so I can have that piece of mind that it won't go out on one of my many road trips.

At 91k is there anything else I should think about having replaced. The drive belts are getting regardless but any hoses or tensioners or anything? When does the fuel filter typically go? Mine went on my 2nd gen at about 100k, well it didn't go but it started to affect my mileage so I just had it replaced and that helped a lot. But at 90k..I'm not real sure what would need replacing.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, figured this was the place to ask.

Thanks,

Fink

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What to change in Timing Belt service?