95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

what are the causes of overheating hilux surf

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are the causes of overheating hilux surf

Dear collaegues
i like to know the causes of overheating of the surf 2400cc

i changed cylinder head to new one the same,i change radiator the same , one mechanic told me there is crack in the engineblock ,is it possible??

please i like to know the causes of overheating all of them
thank you
Old 02-10-2004, 02:45 AM

Please i need help
Old 02-10-2004, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
check the thermostat.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 AM
lee
Contributing Member

a few more of those help smilies should solve the problem... :pig:
Old 02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Did you get all the air out of the cooling system, an air pocket can cause overheating....

Yes a cracked or warped block will cause overheating

as mentioned thermostat

bad water pump

have the cooling system pressure tested, if there is no decrease in pressure, most likely the block is not cracked.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:49 PM

are you losing any fluid? If it's not leakin than there is no crack right? is the radiator new or rebuilt (typical problem w/ rebuilt)? water pump new? thermostat new? Any water in your oil? Do you have a bad water temp sensor? What are you rinning 50% coolant 50% distilled water? Does your heater work? It could be your fan clutch needs replacement like every 50 thou miles or something. An electric one works good. Hows your overflow? Also make sure you replace the radiator cap... Good Luck!
Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM

Dear cvlighthouse

my main problem is :

1- when i drive the car for about 5-10 km the car start to make pressure in the upper water pipe lead to push the water out through the reserve bottle lead to overheating due to no water in the system all is gone why ??no body knows so far here

2-my heater does not work

3-radiator they told me it is new

4-no water in oil

thank you
i,m waiting your reply and all reply
Old 02-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member

pressure test the system FIRST!

it sound like pressure for one of the cylinders is getting into the cooling system, either a cracked block, bad head gasket or warped block
Old 02-10-2004, 08:02 PM

Yes BruceTS
pressur test is it they push pressur in radiator then if gone down this mean there is leaking ,they did it and told me it is +ve
so what is next
thank you
Old 02-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Pressure up the system and let it sit for an hour, if it is goes down, the water has to be going somewhere. Usually into one of the cylinders. Some cases a normal pressure test won't show where the leak is, because the cylinder creates higher pressures that if there was a crack in the block it may only leak under those circumstances.

It really sounds like pressure from one of your cylinder is escaping into the cooling system, I've seen this happen. No water in the oil or even oil in the water, just the gases pushing it's way through. Make sure the thermostat and water pump are functioning properly, if all those Items are eliminated, then it can very well be the block.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:39 AM

One major problem I had was when I shut the Truck off I could hear the coolent boiling over in to the overflow bottle. It would only do it for a second or two. It turned out to be a head gasket had blown and warped head hard core, Hence the 16 mm off the head. I didn't have a sweet smell coming out of the exhaust or white smoke whenI happened.

Hope this is a help...
Old 02-11-2004, 09:11 AM

SOunds like you got alot of great advice. Too bad it isn't something simple like the radiator cap. It is probably the head gasket. It has worked a hole from an exhaust port into a h20 port. When you put your hand under tour tailpipe do you see any water on your hand? Good luck!
Old 02-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Check the following.

1. Thermostat.
2. Radiator fins are not blocked with crud - friend of mine with a 1991 2.4TD had the same problem, caused by mud between the AC rad and the main rad after some seriously muddy off roading.
3. Pressure test the system. An easy way to test if there is combustion gas in the coolant (cracked head or block - more likely to be the head) is to run the engine from cold for no more than 2 minutes. Take off the radiator cap and if water overflows then the system is pressurising due to combustion pressure.
4. Does the viscous fan work. If it is out of fluid then it won't turn properly. The 2.4 needs all the help it can get in the cooling department.
5. Bleed the cooling system. If you are not getting heat then you either have an airlock, a blockage or no coolant. Best way to bleed the system is to run the engine from cold with the radiator cap off. Press the heater hoses now and again and do this for about 20 minutes. The air should be pushed out hopefully this way.
6. If all these don't work, then it is Cylinder head off time. I replaced mine last August, took about 12 hours start to finish and cost about $1000 all in.

When replacing the Head on a 2.4, don't be tempted to go for a recon head or a stitched one. There was faulty design on the originals that was rectified by Toyota. New ones are the only way to go.

Cheers
Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 AM
funglenn

Guys,

But the fact his heater does not work... does not that mean a block in the heater core, that would affect the cooling system right?

Dr/Osman Bekhit

Does your heater not get hot or does it just not even blow any air?

I think you may have a combination of engine other issues. The engine problem may have caused heater problems as well. Even cars that are overheating should produce hot air.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by funglenn
Guys,

But the fact his heater does not work... does not that mean a block in the heater core, that would affect the cooling system right?

Dr/Osman Bekhit

Does your heater not get hot or does it just not even blow any air?

I think you may have a combination of engine other issues. The engine problem may have caused heater problems as well. Even cars that are overheating should produce hot air.
The heater not working could be an airlock in one of the heater pipes - a favorite place for airlocks. Surf 2.4TD engines are renowned for airlocks.

It could also be a blockage, or even no water in the system but I think that that would be pretty obvious.

One other thing on these engines. If the water level goes down the temp gauge will not register correctly if at all as the sensor is at the top of the engine and quickly ends up with no coolant around it.

Cheers
Old 02-18-2004, 08:58 AM

Guys
thank u very much ,i make headache for every one
nowady we open the abdomen of the car we find crack in the block wher the pestin is ,i bought new pestins ring
i,v to go hospital now i,ll talk later
Old 02-18-2004, 12:41 PM

Talking

Sorry
so we find crack in the block we put sleaves and adviced to change the pestins rings and water pump
after finish i,ll give feed back
thank you