Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What brand of lift would you use.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What brand of lift would you use.

I have a 98 Tacoma with an old 6" Trailmaster lift. I know its old because I found the receipt and the original owner put it on with only 4500 miles on the truck. I really dont like this lift because of the lack of an upper A-arm. Its got some kind of strut assembly on it. I looked on the Trailmaster website and they dont even offer this lift anymore.

My questions are,
1. How does Trailmaster compare to other lifts on the market?
2. Is this lift worth keeping since they took it off the market?
3. What brand of 6" lift would you put on your rig?
and finally
4. Could you use a 5" or 4" and some adjustible coilovers to maintain the 6" lift without putting everything in a bind?
Old 01-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well, you're sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I've got the same lift as you, and I'm not going to say that its the best on the market by any means, but, you are able to restore it to better quality.

The first thing you should look into is to replacing the upper strut mounts (for the 2nd strut that replaces the upper A-arm) and to replace the 2ndary struts. You may want to also replace your shocks and springs. All this will make it back to new.

I also welded the sub-frame onto the frame to make it stronger. Look into this.

The stock hydraulic struts which come with the trailmaster lift blow out very quickly, you'll want to look into getting some Gabriel struts. I have some new ones in my garage with the part number, and i'll post that back up later. They are way beefier and last a lot longer. This will improve the ride a lot.

Both my strut mounts have torn out while wheeling...so check those.

Since the stock crossmember was cut after installing the lift, you are stuck with doing a straight axle swap or going to another 6" lift. The best one on the market IMO is the 5" Tuff Country lift. It will replace your 2nd strut with the stock A-arms for one.

Check out http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamo...uffcountry.htm

For more info on that.

The last option is to get extended King coilovers and replace the stock strut with a really long coilover. Lots of $$ there .. not worhtit