Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

What is this?

Old 10-31-2004, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this?

Quick question-what is the small box with a yellow wiring harness mounted on the floor underneath the stock stereo on my 97 t100? I assume it is abs or air bag related if so is there anything else affected if I remove it(besides abs and air bag)
-Thanks for any replies
Old 10-31-2004, 01:47 PM

Its a NTSB tracking devise. it tracks your every twist and turn. ok im full of bs. I would imagine its an airbag related part but thats a guess. welcome to yotatech btw. Ben
Old 10-31-2004, 04:12 PM
E1

I am not 100% sure but some tings being universal in the auto industry like red positive black negative I know in the GM's I worked on every harness with solid yellow wires or enclosed in yellow tubing was ABS related.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:23 PM

What do you want to remove it for?
Old 10-31-2004, 08:39 PM

It for your airbags. I just finished the first part of vehicle rescue class. Yellow is the universal color for airbags in the auto world.I would'nt mess with it since that box is the brain for the airbags.That box has 2 capacitors that stores the charge for the bags and the Deceleration Sensor.You dont want to be around an air bag when it goes off unless you are seat belted in the car.

Last edited by Sludge; 10-31-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sludge
It for your airbags. I just finished the first part of vehicle rescue class. Yellow is the universal color for airbags in the auto world.I would'nt mess with it since that box is the brain for the airbags.That box has 2 capacitors that stores the charge for the bags and the Deceleration Sensor.You dont want to be around an air bag when it goes off unless you are seat belted in the car.

yeah i like how you put that with something thing that is there to blow up in your face.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:31 PM

thanks for the replies/welcoming! I am not running abs, air bags or the sensors any longer that is why I want to get rid of it. Does anyone know if it will mess with anything else computer/wiring related(I know, I might as well unplug it and see for myself).Thanks
Old 11-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wooprdr
thanks for the replies/welcoming! I am not running abs, air bags or the sensors any longer that is why I want to get rid of it. Does anyone know if it will mess with anything else computer/wiring related(I know, I might as well unplug it and see for myself).Thanks
If you removed your air-bags, I think you need to report it to "somebody". I certainly hope my next USED vehicle has airbags intact still.............
Old 11-03-2004, 08:51 AM
E1

Originally Posted by gapguy
If you removed your air-bags, I think you need to report it to "somebody". I certainly hope my next USED vehicle has airbags intact still.............
As far as GM goes we had to deploy any removed airbags that were removed by law? I'd call yota if you still have it, but if you are ever in an accident and your insurance company finds out it's missing you may be SOL!
Old 11-03-2004, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by wooprdr
Please tell me this vehicle is trailered and used solely for offroad only. If you drive on public highways...
1. I hope you don't have any passengers in your car, i.e. wife/kids/family/friends.
2. You are exposing yourself (and your family if under 18/living at home) to HUGE LIABILITY, from your own passengers (unless you disclose and have them sign a waiver of liability, which then could even be disputed), and from anyone else you get in an accident with, irregardless of who is at fault.
3. Your insurance could and most likely would revoke coverage for any claims of injury and damage since you removed your vehicles safety devices.

Is it even legal to remove these devices?
:pat: :pat: :pat:
Old 11-08-2004, 10:14 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
I am not running stock brakes or steering wheel-just wondering if anyone had the knowledge of toyota wiring. btw has anyone ever owned a vehicle without a airbag or abs?(and I thought I was young)

Search this Thread