Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wet floorboards in 3rd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet floorboards in 3rd Gen 4Runner

After a hard rain, I noticed a huge amount of water dripping into both driver and passenger side footwells. Does anyone know where the weep/drain holes are for the front hood cowl? I assume that the holes are plugged and water is somehow leaking into/through the vents. Everytime I make a hard left or right, water swooshes out. NOT a little mind you!

I've had the 4Runner (SR5) for 3 years and this is the first time this has happened.

A detailed picture or drawing would be most beneficial. I assume I can stick a wire or something to loosen the stuff.

I looked down through the cowl and you really can't see where it goes. I don't want to take it off unless I have to.

Any insight from you deep off road mudders? I'm sure you guys musta have gotten some stuff in there at one time!

Damn! And I was saving up for that nice new supercharger and 7th injector mod!

Thanks in advance.
Craig
Old 09-28-2003, 03:56 PM

you might want to check inside in the engine bay for some rubber grommets, they're on the back of the bay near the middle, they are on both the right and left side, i had the same problem when i carelessly installed some wiring and i forgot to reaffix the grommets.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:22 PM

I checked the bay wall and all seems to snug and secure. Thanks for the tip to check, Mark.

Anyone else? Damn, more rain predicted on tuesday!

-Craig
Old 09-28-2003, 07:44 PM

Ok this may really be far-fetched...
I remember someone having this problem a couple of months ago and someone brought up the fact that the drains for the sunroof sometimes get clogged, and water ends up somewhere in the door sills, or behind the dash. (if you even have a sunroof) I never understood how water would even get into the sunroof, but hey, it's a suggestion.

Also, may wanna check the door seals, just in case

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2003, 05:30 AM

I've never had my wifes 3rd gen cowl cover off but I have had mine off. It is very easy to take off. The 3rd gen looks like it comes off in a similar way. There is only 4 screws holding it on, plus the wipers have to come off. It only took me 5 minutes to take mine off. There are always leaves and crap that gets in there. When I cleaned mine last I also poured diluted bleach down the drains to clear anything growing in there. I don't know how many drains are on the sunroof of the 3rd gens, but one exits on the rear passenger side up by the spare.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:45 AM

Went to my local toyo dealer and they said it was the same problem - clogged sunroof drain holes. They threw it up on the lift and blasted out the drains with compressed air - all at No charge!

All seems right after a light rain last night but still am skeptical as to seeing that much water. I couldn't image that amount of water going into the sunroof.

Stay tuned...
Old 10-01-2003, 12:10 PM

If you have a roof rack, make sure it is sealed around all the bolt holes. Also, my wifes car was getting puddles on the passenger side floor. Problem was a worn out weather stripping around the door. Best of luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:03 PM

This is my first post but I've been watching for some time.

I've got a 1999 Cdn 4Runner, probably the same as the US version. It was 2 yrs old when I bought it and had a leak in the drivers foot box. The problem was caused by the alarm wires that were fed through the wiring harness on that side. The hood "drip sill" is not correctly designed and the water drains directly onto the wiring harness (no matter how I parked the truck) and then slowly works it's way inside. It took a long time to find the leak, and we get a lot of rain here. I was able to determine where it came in by shoving the rubber floor mat right up under the dash, thereby catching the rain as it came in. This led to a little mod that my friends all call the "Cocktail Umbrella" fix. About half of a large plastic vitamin bottle was cut to shape and then siliconed into place to cover the harness. I haven't had a leak since.

Hope this helps someone else because a smelly truck isn't any fun.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:27 AM
lee
Contributing Member

ok, i took a rather sharp right turn this morning and now i have a REALLY wet right foot.

the answers here seem to point to the sunroof, but dont comment on what the fix is.

please help!
Old 10-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

should be four exit holes on the 3rd gen sunroofs
Old 10-08-2005, 07:40 AM
lee
Contributing Member

where at

im gonna head out there in a bit but its raining so i need specifics
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

from what i understand there are four holes and 2 exits. one exit comes out on the front drivers kick panel. 2nd comes out the rear but its not a given as to whether it is on the left side or right. it does how ever require removing all the rear panels .
Old 10-08-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

I believe the rear exit is on the drivers side, I remember a drain pipe there when I did some soundproofing
Old 10-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
This is the same drain on my 1985 sunroof. The drains run down the A-pillar and down through the kick panel and out the rocker panel. Right beside where the door ding pin is (behind). All you need do is find the drain and blow some compressed air into it w/ the sunroof open, but be prepared for the gunk up top!

Old 10-08-2005, 03:25 PM
lee
Contributing Member

that cant be it then.

water is POURING out of my a/c footwell airvent and only trickling out on the pass. side...

when i say pouring, i mean i went to an empty lot with a big bowl.. got some speed and pulled hard right and it GUSHED into the bowl. did that about 10 times and it finally was empty. thought i was done witht he issue until more water dumped out later on.

then i just turned off the air to the feet (made it 'head only') and it hasnt repeated so far...
Old 10-08-2005, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

i would be careful if you ever go back to the feet mode, you might get a lot of water gushing out that has been backed up
Old 10-10-2005, 06:05 PM

There is a drain for the sunroof in the driverside kick panel - I was wondering where the hell that went.....

I spent all day yesterday drying my drivers side carpet. I just got my 98 two months ago and it hasn't rained since until this weekend - all weekend nonstop. I got in it and there was at least an inch deep through the carpet. After tearing everything out I came to find the rubber harness grommet wasn't properly seated. I could see where the previous owner had run some audio wiring so I'm certain he pulled the power through that grommet. When he removed it he kinked it.

I popped back in right but when I poured water over the cowl it still came in through that grommet... so I encased and sealed the grommet in silicone. Now it doesn't leak . My carpet backing is still drying - what a pain in my bag!

Last edited by zeik; 10-10-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lone4runner
from what i understand there are four holes and 2 exits. one exit comes out on the front drivers kick panel. 2nd comes out the rear but its not a given as to whether it is on the left side or right. it does how ever require removing all the rear panels .

Mine in on the drivers side in the rear. Look for the slits cut in the plastic.

I saw mine there too, doing the same project as Dibble.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:35 PM
lee
Contributing Member

i took it to a dealership today. it was a blocked a/c drain. they unclogged it for free

vaccuumed the water out of the carpets, put my winter mats in.. all set.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:18 PM

Wet Front Drivers Side Foot Well

Originally Posted by spud4x4
This is my first post but I've been watching for some time.

I've got a 1999 Cdn 4Runner, probably the same as the US version. It was 2 yrs old when I bought it and had a leak in the drivers foot box. The problem was caused by the alarm wires that were fed through the wiring harness on that side. The hood "drip sill" is not correctly designed and the water drains directly onto the wiring harness (no matter how I parked the truck) and then slowly works it's way inside. It took a long time to find the leak, and we get a lot of rain here. I was able to determine where it came in by shoving the rubber floor mat right up under the dash, thereby catching the rain as it came in. This led to a little mod that my friends all call the "Cocktail Umbrella" fix. About half of a large plastic vitamin bottle was cut to shape and then siliconed into place to cover the harness. I haven't had a leak since.

Hope this helps someone else because a smelly truck isn't any fun.
I can't believe it, I finally found your thread. This could quite possibly be the answer to the mystery that has haunted me for a couple of years. I have a black 98 4Runner Limited (excellent in the snow btw). I also have an alarm system that was already installed when I bought the car. I'll bet thats where the dam water is coming in. Your a genius and I love the "Cocktail Umbrella Fix" & phrase! Cant wait to take a look. Another great thing is that I also learned about other possibilities like the sunroof drain holes. I didn't know about them or seen them till a couple of days ago and I've had the truck since it was new in 98. Another interesting one was the condensation drain hose from the AC evaporator which I'll squeeze under the dash and check soon. It has to have debris in there after all these years. Love that truck "and" it saved my daughters life once upon a time! Thanks man, I appreciate your observation and solution.