Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Wet Carpet!!!!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet Carpet!!!!

Was cleaning my truck today and I noticed the driver side carpet and padding was completely soaked. I didn't notice until now because of my catch all floor mats have rubber backing. I went over to the passenger side and its completely dry. So I pulled up the carpet and padding. It was wet from the firewall to about the front of the drivers seat. I didn't see any obvious leaks around the firewall or steering column, and the drain plug is still there. Anyone have any ideas? I heard that the A/C condensor could have something to do with it. I also just had a 2" RB body lift installed, could that have anything to do with it?
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Might be your heater core. I haven't heard of anyone's going out on this board, but, Id imagine its a possibility. I'd check your heater hoses and make sure they aren't broken as well...
Old 04-29-2008, 05:35 PM

Do you have any wires (audio, lights, etc.) running through the firewall in that area? Also, if you have a sunroof, your drain lines may be clogged.

An easy way to tell where the leak is coming from is to pull the driver side carpet up, sit in the passenger seat with a flashlight and while someone else hoses your truck with water, observe the driver side footwell for leaks.

You can check if it's your sunroof by opening the sunroof and pouring water, from a measuring cup or something, into the drain tubes which are located in the front corners of the sunroof.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2008, 05:57 PM

Had a similar problem with my 01 Taco after driving through rain for a few hundred miles with the A/C on low. Took a few weeks to quit misting my girl's feet and dry out. Condensate problem is a good guess. If the body was jacked too high off the frame lines may have been tweaked.

Edit: I was thinking passenger when you said driver. Woops. As stated below; check the steering shaft boot.

Last edited by Vermejo; 04-29-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Might be your heater core. I haven't heard of anyone's going out on this board, but, Id imagine its a possibility. I'd check your heater hoses and make sure they aren't broken as well...
No its not coolant. So I can rule out the heater core. The heater still works great!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew0404
Do you have any wires (audio, lights, etc.) running through the firewall in that area? Also, if you have a sunroof, your drain lines may be clogged.

An easy way to tell where the leak is coming from is to pull the driver side carpet up, sit in the passenger seat with a flashlight and while someone else hoses your truck with water, observe the driver side footwell for leaks.

You can check if it's your sunroof by opening the sunroof and pouring water, from a measuring cup or something, into the drain tubes which are located in the front corners of the sunroof.

Good luck!

I have a wire bundle running through the firewall grommet, but I have never had any problems until now. I'm gonna check the sunroof tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Check the drain tube for the sunroof. Also the Steering shaft boot. I would lean more towards the sunroof. When you find it please post up. This has come up before so I think others would like to know.

Last edited by Strap22; 04-29-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by OSU4Runner
I have a wire bundle running through the firewall grommet, but I have never had any problems until now. I'm gonna check the sunroof tomorrow.
I have only an amp wire running through that grommet and thought nothing of it when my floorboards were getting soaked. Then I had my wife spray the outside of the truck while I watched the floorboard, and sure enough, there was quite a bit of water coming in through there. I, too, had thick rubber floor mats and never noticed that my floorboards and carpet were soaked until I decided to rerouted my amp wiring. A quick fix for it was to just apply some silicone sealant on the outside of the grommet where the wire is running into the cabin. Hope this helps. It took me forever to figure out where my leak was coming from.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by strap22
Check the drain tube for the sunroof. Also the Steering shaft boot. I would lean more towards the sunroof. When you find it please post up. This has come up before so I think others would like to know.
I'm gonna take a look at it today. I'll let you know
Old 04-30-2008, 06:44 AM

my windshield used to leak on my 98 until i got a new one. Water used to pool up in the same spot - drivers side front floor. A good test i did was soap up the entire exterior of the winshield and edges, close all the doors and windows with the heater air blowing on high and see if you see any bubbles around the windshield moulding - if you do - thars your prob.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by j-man
my windshield used to leak on my 98 until i got a new one. Water used to pool up in the same spot - drivers side front floor. A good test i did was soap up the entire exterior of the winshield and edges, close all the doors and windows with the heater air blowing on high and see if you see any bubbles around the windshield moulding - if you do - thars your prob.
Ok...I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by j-man
I hope it is my windshield, I'm in the market for a new one anyway
Old 05-01-2008, 10:36 AM

please post your findings...I have the exact same problem..plugs are in tight, but everything keeps getting wet...I will check the steering boot too
Old 05-01-2008, 07:29 PM

I took a peek at the wiring harness grommet and noticed that the po ran some wires beside it (not through it) and didn't bother putting the grommet back in properly. This is obviously where the water is getting in.