Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Western Washington Toyota Recovery

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Western Washington Toyota Recovery

I suspect that many of you have read the story of the Toyota stuck on the Little Naches Trail.

I suspect that this could have been many of us in his shoes.

In the TTORA SoCal chapter, they have a "Rescue" team for similar incidents and I have seen it work well. I would propose that we do something similar to protect our own. I am thinking of a "phone tree" of sorts, where you could get a message out to someone who could then spread the word in the hopes that someone would take the time to give you hand.

I think there's plenty of us who wheel on a regular basis and as a rule we tend to look out for one another. This would give us an added layer of protection, so if you could even reach one person, they could spread the word quickly.

As a first step toward this, I have set up a mailing list on Topica. If this sounds like something you would like to be a part of, send a mail to "wwtoysr-subscribe@topica.com" to enroll in the mailing list. From there, we will figure out the best way to exchange numbers and get the ball rolling.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:34 PM
Banned

This is a teriffic idea. I'm willing to help recover anyone's rig who is on board here in the Colorado front range area. I have a winch, tow straps and High lift to get you unstuck. Also if you need someone to bring spare parts for a trailside repair i'm willing to deliver them for a nominal fee or gas money + the price of the parts . PM me and provide your home location if you want my phone number. I'm willing to go about as far as Vail.

Last edited by jx94148; 12-05-2002 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Your rig sounds like mine, part wheeler, part tow truck

I carry straps, the winch, extra cable, tools and a host of other "nice to have" items. I also have air and 110v power, so many trail repairs can be accomplished easier.

I hope that you have much success with the S&R unit down your way and I also hope that you will never have to use the services of that organization.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

is this for WA wheelers only
Old 12-05-2002, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by AllOtherNamesTakenSo
is this for WA wheelers only
Well, I don't think that it makes too much sense to have phone numbers in California on the Washington list, there's not much you can do in the way of recovery via long distance, but I think that the idea is sound in other places as well.

Perhaps various areas can form groups that make sense regionally.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:38 PM

is this still going on?...
Old 03-17-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Nope. We tried to get it off the ground, but the lack of interest was overwhelming, so it appears it was an idea who's time had not come.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by WATRD
Nope. We tried to get it off the ground, but the lack of interest was overwhelming, so it appears it was an idea who's time had not come.

Well, I'm down for what it's worth. I'm in Ohio and think this is an excellent idea.

It would be cool to have it organized thru this board though. Since so many already check it and adding one more list, one more BBS can be too much for some with limited time.

Jutty
Old 03-17-2005, 06:19 AM

I think it is a good idea on a local level. Every offroad club should have something like this set up. I have been called upon to help recover someone that flopped his Runner out in BFE. Plus if I was unable to help I had numbers to call.............Rob.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

I keep a list of numbers in my phone for people I figure I could ask to come recover me and I suspect I am programmed into a few speed dials as well. Keeping it informal like that means that you have less chance of having someone on the list who wants to be able to call others, "just in case", but when you call them, they never seem to be able to help out.

There are some folks I have a pretty good idea would come to save my bacon, but there are others I wouldn't bother to call because in the past they have not shown the initiative to even return to others favors like wrenching. It always sticks in my craw when I spend a day wrenching on someones rig for free, then when I call to ask them to help me, they have a million excuses and never find the time I can only suspect that the value of a formal recovery team list might be diluted by the "takers".
Old 03-17-2005, 08:00 AM

Local level is the way IMO too. Grass roots initiatives seem to do better in offroad anyways.

This is such a good idea that it needs to be acted on and will spend sometime pokin' around the net looking for other people that do this and get advice.

Hmmmm.... This idea has me really motivated. It's challenging.

Jutty