Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

went "offroading" this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
went "offroading" this weekend

so, i didn't get to the dunes this past weekend cuz the day i WAS gonna go it turned out to have thunderstorms all weekend long. however, i was cruising around town and decided to go exploring a brand new sub-division that they're putting up in my town. they're still working on the roads and they've started construction of a few houses as of yet. anyways, so i'm bummed that i didn't get to go offroading, so i decide to go offroading in this giant field that will soon be filled with new homes. (which, by the way, construction workers don't like it when you go plowing through the area that they're working on, haha!) so there's this little gully, filled with water, and i decide to plow through it. not PLOW through it, cuz i don't want to hydrolock it, but i went into it fast enough to not be able to stop in time once i realized it was a lot deeper than i thought. i was in 2wd, by the way. so i get down there, and stick my head out the window (while the engine was still running) when i stopped moving (i didn't have much momentum because i didn't think it was a water hole, i thought it was just a puddle.) i thought i was stuck. so i'm thinking, crap, construction workers are pissed at me, and i'm stuck in 2 feet of water, my gf is mad at me because she's embarrassed, and the only way to get out is to get wet and go and lock my hubs and drive out in 4wd. WRONG. i just backed up a little bit, gunned it, and she pulled right out. i now feel much more confident for when i finally get her offroad on PURPOSE while in 4wd! rob and anyone else in eastern michigan: LET'S GO WHEELIN!
Old 06-02-2004, 06:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
NEver dive into the unexpected without the 4wd. No use in burying the rears and then having basically only fwd to pull ya out, know what I mean. However, the 1G's especially get around pretty good, even in rwd.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by My99
NEver dive into the unexpected without the 4wd. No use in burying the rears and then having basically only fwd to pull ya out, know what I mean. However, the 1G's especially get around pretty good, even in rwd.
let's just call it beginner's error with a little bit of misjudgement on the side.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.treadlightly.org/
Old 06-02-2004, 06:52 PM

here come the flames, even though i guarantee most people that yell at you for trespassing are hypocrites and have done the same...
Old 06-02-2004, 07:56 PM

Hmm, hydrolock, I've never really thought about then when just plowing through water. Of course, if it's up to the intake, then yeah. But just the other day I plowed through sever water and mud puddle over 2 feet deep going about ... well pretty fast and I never thought about hydrolock. The muddy water splashed ALL over the truck so I couldn't even see through the window. Do you think the water could have gottin in a stock intake?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:02 PM
Banned

The other day, I drove on a golf course in my runner. Then I chopped down some trees and shot a rare bird. Found a beautiful field full of the state flower and drove over every single one of them just for kicks. Then I did an oil change next to a really pristine river and just dumped it in, saw another rare bird and shot it too. I did tread lightly though
Old 06-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Banned

oh yeah? well, i was down river from you so after the oil had time to really mix up in there, i pulled some of it out with a bucket, which i then dumped on an owl. around the same area, i saw a bunch of rare birds that had been shot and shoved under a recently axed tree ... so i shot them again just to be sure they were dead. after that, i went to the beach, drove donuts in the sand, kicked some sea weed, and whacked some baby seals with one of the trees you chopped down. but i was treading lightly too, leaking oil all the way there and back! that really does lighten things up, so then i siphoned out some gasoline and ...

Old 06-03-2004, 01:12 AM

you guys N gals are funny. I love it!
Old 06-03-2004, 04:20 AM

shame on you! j/k, but yea, try to tread lightly ok Andy?

Just come with me to Attica June 26th
Old 06-03-2004, 05:03 AM

Haha, looks like Corey's flaming announcement worked, so now everyone just uses sarcasm. good deal. Funny stuff.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunday BBQ
Hmm, hydrolock, I've never really thought about then when just plowing through water. Of course, if it's up to the intake, then yeah. But just the other day I plowed through sever water and mud puddle over 2 feet deep going about ... well pretty fast and I never thought about hydrolock. The muddy water splashed ALL over the truck so I couldn't even see through the window. Do you think the water could have gottin in a stock intake?
IF water did get into the intake and the truck is still running it did more good than harm if it made it into the engine. It'll clean out the combustion chambers. However, do take heed when you drive into an unkown hazard, it could get deep in a hurry. If it ever gets over your hood, for any length of time, shut it down before it locks up. You can then pull it out, pull the plugs, shoot the water out, and do an oil change and you might have a chance of saving it. If you're into driving through stuff like that, consider getting a snorkel.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by kford
Haha, looks like Corey's flaming announcement worked, so now everyone just uses sarcasm. good deal. Funny stuff.
I would not have flamed AYoung about playing in an undeveloped area like the one he told us about. Sounds like he had fun. I got my a$$ attacked last night so I was playing with kiddy gloves last night. Now today is a different story AYoung. Ready to get your a$$ handed to you with a flame?

You really needed to show us some damn pics. How the hell, lol. ok more of a request than a flame.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:22 PM

What a dumb ass. It's people like this that give us bad names :wtf:

EDIT: You should be removed from this board for posting about your trespassing and vandalism. My $.02

Last edited by GRNTACO; 06-03-2004 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GRNTACO
What a dumb ass. It's people like this that give us bad names :wtf:

EDIT: You should be removed from this board for posting about your trespassing and vandalism. My $.02
Ummm... ok, like you've never done anything then thought twice about it the day after...

BTW, is your taco HUGE or is that a pebble under your driver-side tire?
Old 06-03-2004, 12:57 PM

yea man, give him a break. Andy's a cool guy, he's just getting into wheeling. Don't worry I'll show him the legal places soon enough
Old 06-03-2004, 02:42 PM
Banned

Bullshizzle.... as far as I'm concenred anyplace my truck can fit is free range.
This includes but is not limited to: Parking lot (any), schoolgrounds, local parks and playgrounds (teeter totters), any area in the us forest (this land is my land!), construction zones (hey, the guy in the jeep commercial did it!), vacant lots, open meadows and even your yard!

Edit: In other words ˟˟˟˟in' lighten up!!!

Last edited by flecker; 06-03-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:48 PM

Yeah, sometimes those are the only places to go. We do no harm, it's not like we run houses over. Land has to be graded before construction begins anyway. I'm surprised there haven't been more flames already.

I think the people that are flaming are just trying to act mature and like they are somehow "more experienced" offroaders, and that playing around in construction yards gives them "mature 4 wheelers" a bad rap. They've probably done it too though, it's just some harmless fun. If he got caught, then it's his ass, not anyone else's.

AYOUNG101: I got busted by the PO-LEECE for offroading on county land that was being developed into a neighborhood. I posted about it on this forum and then everyone went ape˟˟˟˟˟, so I feel your pain.
Old 06-03-2004, 03:10 PM

For years many of the locals in my town were wheeling in a valley called Horse Lake. Then the stories started coming in that houses would one day be there. The locals at the base of the valley do not like wheelers up in there. They said no and I do not wheel up there these days. I do drive in to go shoot my gun but I do not wheel. I wonder why they dont bother me when im shooting. how wierd.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
I wonder why they dont bother me when im shooting. how wierd.
Maybe cuz you have a gun in your hand!?! Remember, an armed society is a polite society.

Quick Reply: went "offroading" this weekend