Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welllp, looks like this might be the last straw..

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 08:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Welllp, looks like this might be the last straw..

Last couple mornings, that ˟˟˟˟in POS has started it's rough idle again.. Looks like it may be strike 3.. I think I am gonna sell her.. I just can not have 3-5k of driveability at a time!! This is unfreaking believable!! I am gonna sell her, buy myself a little 2wd pick up to drive around in and haul stuff for the house and build my ˟˟˟˟in Jeep to wheel!! I am going to call around for a new motor for the Jeep tomorow and I hope to have it in by next weekend.. Then the Runner can go back to get the heads adjusted a friggin 3 time and I am gonna dump it before it craps the valves out of adjustment again...

I am sick of this crap big time!!:pat:

Aughhhhhhhhh
Old 10-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lee.
What about a 3.4 swap, or the 7M Supra engine?
I have seen pics here I think of one guy who has done two of the Supra engines now.

If my engine puked on me, I'd be tempted to do the Supra one for sure.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

Yea, but you know Corey.. There comes a time when you just have to say enough is enough.. I have had 2 sets of heads built and this last set has had to be sent back 3 times for re-adjust ment.. None have ever gone past 5k before they act up.. That and she is starting to get a little soft in some areas, and the fact that it is just going into winter I hope to sell it and make a fair profit on it.. at this point I have no intrest in building a new motor or swaping something in... I dunno, I am just sick to death of it all. Maybe I will sell the Jeep after I put a motor into it and take the combined and buy a daily driver and a newer Wrangler with a 4.0 and build it up on some 33's and just have fun with it.. I can no longer take the family in the 4Runner, in fact they have not been in it in almost 2 months (no room left for all of us) so I don't need such a large SUV that is sucking 15mpg.

Ahhh.. What can ya do?? I have put a 100k on her and had it aboout as long as you have had your's so, I got some fun from her... Just kinda sucks that I have put so much into it as of late..
Old 10-23-2003, 09:04 PM

Man, I'm real sorry to hear that. It sucks when things don't work. BTW thanks for all the help you gave me on my engine. It really helped out.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Lee, I know the perfect family vehicle, and I'd love to have one in white of course.

A little bigger in the inside, but if you are a stick man, you'd have to settle for the auto tranny.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:16 PM
Contributing Member

When a car starts costing more money to repair than a car payment...its time to sell
Old 10-23-2003, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you could always get an fj60. they were stick, and had round headlights

too bad they're so expensive though. one shady dealer not far from here *cough*sundance had one a while back, an '83 i believe, for $8k. even worse, it posted the bluebook value on the windshield below the price, something like $2300
Old 10-24-2003, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Nawh.. same room in the 60/62 series.. I would have to step up to an 80 to get the third seat.. But I dont mind taking the conversion van with the kids.. They all have their own seat, it has a TV/VCR and all the comfort you could need.
If I buy another Toy it will be a 40, but for now I am not ready to put the effort into a project and there are not really any clean ones up here, I would head down soulth to buy one. I did just buy a motor for my Jeep today (Hell.. even the Jeep went 175k before the motor went) I just bought a 81k motor from RI with a 6 month full replacement warrantey for $650 I really don't think I will build this Jeep to wheel, but I do think I may be done with the 4Runner.. I refuse to pay $2500+ for a new motor.. This motor (when the valves are good) had 150-160 psi of compression and does not smoke oil at all.. It is good and solid.. WTF is going on with the heads I have no clue.. But I am sick to death of dealing with it. I will be bringing the Jeep to our new house in CT tomorow and I am going to start pulling the motor out. Heck, I have not even seen the Jeep since September when the motor went... It has been at my Brother in law's house with the cover on it..

I will have to take a photo of my new 25 x 25 work shop that came with our house.. It is not 100% set up (or even close) but it is mine, and my Snap-On tool chest has a home now
Old 10-24-2003, 11:01 AM

Lee: I'm sorry that the Runner giving you fits here lately. I really thought you had it fixed this time.

You are having the exact oposite problem as what I had happen to me 12 years ago. My Jeep CJ-7 (with 200K) started to have everything go wrong on it at the same time.....that is what made me become so dissatisfied with it and I sold it to get my Runner. Now here lately, I too have had to start fixing things going wrong with the Runner as I approach 200K. Just put me out of my misery if you ever hear me say that I'm going to buy another Jeep . No seriously, I know you like your Wrangler and are happy with it and it will suit your wheeling needs. I just am going to stick with another Toyota when my Runner's repair bills start equalling a car note.

I feel your pain and I hope you can easily/cheaply get your Runner fixed up to sell.

David