Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Weirdest problem ever on 2001

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weirdest problem ever on 2001

My wifes friend has a 2001 that did the strangest thing...I am totally perplexed, and I am a relatively experienced mechanic.

While driving a few days ago, all the dash lights...such as ABS, check engine, traction control, etc. came on and stayed on.

The speedo/odometer also stopped working.

And when she got home, found the emergency brake wasnt working either!

ALL AT THE SAME TIME

the stealership told here a new master cylinder and brake booster would fix all the problems?!?!?!?

I think that is crazy.
The E brake should be a cable...right? Nothing hydraulic at all.
Not too mention, the brakes work as usual

And what would the master/booster have to do with the speedo?

Anybody have any ideas?

I told her to take it to an advanced auto and get it scanned for free and let me know.

I'm guessing cable broke on E brake, and speedo cable went bad, but the lights on the dash has me stumped.

I bet this one stumps everyone on here

If anyone wants to guess what it is, I will promise to follow up with the answer when it is all fixed
Old 03-02-2010, 06:13 PM

update

she took it and got it scanned and the guy said it was the speed sensor
what would this sensor affect?
any ideas?
Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The speed sensor affects lots of stuff, like the speedometer, ABS, TRAC, VSC, transmission. There is no speedometer cable, it's electronic on newer 4Runners. The only thing you mentioned that it couldn't affect is the e=brake. Like you said it is totally mechanical, so that could be a broken cable.
Btw 2001 4Runners have 5 speed sensors, one on each wheel and one on the trans/transfer case. Was the code specific to which one or did it just say speed sensor.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the truck still continue to run with all those dash lights on?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by brian2sun
Does the truck still continue to run with all those dash lights on?

Yes, it supposedly runs as normal...except the e brake doesnt work
Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
The speed sensor affects lots of stuff, like the speedometer, ABS, TRAC, VSC, transmission. There is no speedometer cable, it's electronic on newer 4Runners. The only thing you mentioned that it couldn't affect is the e=brake. Like you said it is totally mechanical, so that could be a broken cable.
Btw 2001 4Runners have 5 speed sensors, one on each wheel and one on the trans/transfer case. Was the code specific to which one or did it just say speed sensor.

Okay, good stuff. It sounds like a speed sensor then...and I bet it is one the rear brakes since the e brake doesnt work. Maybe the ebrake broke and took out a sensor?
I will ask her to get the info from the stealership (they charged her a hundred dollars to scan it, and then told her the master cylinder/brake booster needed replacement).
They will hopefully be able to tell her which sensor.

I will follow up with whatever they find...and will let ya'll know the end result after it is fixed.

thx
Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM

I would certainly want to understand the need for replacement of the master cylinder/brake booster. Why? Because of the lights/codes? Which ones? Or because the e-brake wasn't working? This last would make no sense at all. Most common problem on e-brakes is probably seized bellcranks, especially in the snow/salt belt. Also cable, as you said, or a problem with the drum brakes, such as adjustment, diff oil on shoes, or just seized up. Not MC/BB.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:04 PM

sorry for the delay on the follow up, but it isnt my truck and I cannot control the owners actions...

here is an email she sent me after I asked her for an update...

""I gave up on the dealer. The service manager had an assistance called me back reiterating how much it would cost but she had no clue as to the details. Plus, my inlaws were in town and I sorta forgot about it.

But I will go to Autozone today or tomorrow. I'll have them put something in writing and will email you the service order along with the quote I got from the dealer.

Talk to you later. Thanks!""

Apparently, her usual mechanic does not want to touch it as he feels it is beyond his capabilities?

I'm going to suggest she find another mechanic. Cant be too hard as she lives in a well populated area of Boca Raton, FL
Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

I wished you were closer for me to take a look at it. I enjoy the "electrical gremlin concerns." I had not the same but similar concern on my own 4Runner. The odometer/speedometer and all of the gauges quit working. I had a check engine light on, but no DTC list found for the code. Obviously I checked the fuse and found one blown (been so long I can't remember what fuse.) A few days later the same problem and the fuse was blown again. After digging around I found a wire behind the instrument cluster had rubbed a hole in the power wire to the IPC itself from the back of the dash panel. Repaired the wire and no problems since. It did take me 2 hair pulling days to find the problem though, thank goodness for a Fluke 87 meter.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
I wished you were closer for me to take a look at it. I enjoy the "electrical gremlin concerns." I had not the same but similar concern on my own 4Runner. The odometer/speedometer and all of the gauges quit working. I had a check engine light on, but no DTC list found for the code. Obviously I checked the fuse and found one blown (been so long I can't remember what fuse.) A few days later the same problem and the fuse was blown again. After digging around I found a wire behind the instrument cluster had rubbed a hole in the power wire to the IPC itself from the back of the dash panel. Repaired the wire and no problems since. It did take me 2 hair pulling days to find the problem though, thank goodness for a Fluke 87 meter.

well, she took it to another mechanic who scanned it and said it was the speed sensor.
I have no idea if he knows which one.
He also said it was a part he could only get from the factory and that it cost 240 bucks, with 60 bucks in labor.

I thought I had seen the sensors for sale for around 50?

Anyways, she is taking it in next week...

I'll update the results