Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Weighing purchase options

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weighing purchase options

I'm trading in my trusty '95 3.0 pickup for a 2001 or 2002 4Runner. Looking forward to it with a bit of bittersweet.

Anyway, I'm looking at a 2002 sport model and a 2001 limited. I'm pretty familar with all the options. The thing I hate to give up on the sport version is the heated seats from the limited. I also don't much care for the fake hood scoop. But the sport seems to have all the other driveline features as the limited, just with cloth seats and a few less doodads.

Both are black, though the limited has silvery cladding. The 2002 has a bit less rust and zero dings, though neither are too bad.

I'm a very light wheeler, but will be towing a trailer when I cut firewood and probably load the rear of the 4runner with wood, too (I'd use a tarp to protect the interior). I'm going for the 2001 or 2002 model since I do a lot of winter hiway driving and the AWD option seems pretty useful. I've been eyeing the 2000 limited versions with the rear locker, but that's a secondary concern and probably wouldn't be a feature I use much, if ever.

Given all that, can anyone with more experience give me some considerations? One of my biggest concerns is actually the black paint. My pickup is black, and I swore to never buy another black vehicle again. But here I am looking at two black 4runners (they are the nicest runners in my area).

Thanks!
MadCityRich
now - '95 4x4 V6 PU 4.88 gears 5spd
soon - ? 4Runner ?

Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-07-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also made the move from a black 1994 Xtra Cab SR5 V6 to a 4Runner, only mine is a 2000. The 1994 was the best vehicle I had ever owned and I was sorry to see it go, but I got really tired of caring for the black paint. It is simply not practical for a vehicle that you take offroad, so I bought a white 4Runner. I will never own another black truck, but a black car would be another thing.

I looked specifically for a 1999-2000 because I wanted the higher stance, a 5-speed transmission and the rear locker. None of these features are available on the 2001-2002s. The AWD option of the newer models would be nice if you drove frequently in poor weather conditions, but personally, I wouldn't give up my rear locker. If you do a lot of offroading, go with a locked one.

BTW, here is a pic of my black '94.
Good luck in your search.

Last edited by paddlenbike; 11-07-2006 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:25 AM

You said you were looking into a sport 4runner and a limited 4runner. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't sport models 2wd only?
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

black runners are just plain sexy. just ask myself, ric, or calrockx haha. why so worried about the paint? if you dont wheel it much it shouldnt be a problem. in the bushes..a lil pin striping can be fixed with a good buff using some swirl & scratch remover. it takes a bit more to keep nice, but hey. its a truck. you use it for hauling firewood..dont sweat it . smart move on the 01-02 option. sounds like you'd benefit more from multimode AWD than a RR diff lock...

my only issue with black paint is if there had been previous damage and the new paint doesnt match quite right. it'll be very noticable in direct mid day sunlight.

here are 2 black runners to help sway your decision...you know you want to

my 98 on the right, my buddy's 00 on the left. his on 305 MT/R's and mine on 285 MT/R's...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 AM

get a seller blue pearl and i will trade you hoods so you dont have to look at the fake scoop.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the thoughts.

FYI -the sport has a 4WD option, unless I'm really clueless.

I would consider trading the sport hood with someone who has a nonsport hood. But I also have a vague project idea of eventually installing a diesel under the hood, in which case the scoop could be functional. Everyone's gotta have a dream.

Thanks again,
MadCityRich
Old 11-07-2006, 09:57 AM

correct me if im wrong but i believe u can get the e-locker in the limited which by the way is great, and the sport edition only has the center locker which is still good but the e-locker is definately preffered.

Last edited by harpen123; 11-07-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

I'm sorry but what area of the country do you live in? I am assuming you live where it gets cold? firewood, heated seats? being an issue. I would install a remote start. I have one on mine and it sets outside I never scrap a window. ever. I am of the same feeling as far as the Black paint. Don't care for the cleaning cost, as well as the always dirty "look." Have you checked e-bay motors? for a 4Runner? I have and I find that the 4Runners out on the east coast have better pricing. There are hardly any in the Midwest, The south is OK depending on salt air. Also the south west is alright too. Before you spend on something local look around at some of the web sites for a deal you might just find exactly what you are looking for. Plus on know on e-bay you can get a gaurentee up to $20000 Plus e- bay buy back protection. Just my .02 cents worth. plus 15 years of selling cars and trucks. TJ

Last edited by Texas Jim; 11-07-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:27 AM
BAZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Texas Jim
I'm sorry but what area of the country do you live in? I am assuming you live where it gets cold? firewood, heated seats? being an issue. I would install a remote start. I have one on mine and it sets outside I never scrap a window. ever. I am of the same feeling as far as the Black paint. Don't care for the cleaning cost, as well as the always dirty "look." Have you checked e-bay motors? for a 4Runner? I have and I find that the 4Runners out on the east coast have better pricing. There are hardly any in the Midwest, The south is OK depending on salt air. Also the south west is alright too. Before you spend on something local look around at some of the web sites for a deal you might just find exactly what you are looking for. Plus on know on e-bay you can get a gaurentee up to $20000 Plus e- bay buy back protection. Just my .02 cents worth. plus 15 years of selling cars and trucks. TJ
Something tells me he lives in Madison, Wisconsin but I could be wrong.

Last edited by BAZ; 11-09-2006 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM

As far as the seats go you are right that the limited and Sport are pretty much the same, other than the limited will be power and perhaps heated. I have had both now, the limited seats I had were not heated, and I would say the Sport seats are more comfortable for 2 reasons. They have extra side bolstering, thus the Sport aspect, I find it holds me in the seat better. Also I prefer the manual lumbar, the power seats use an airbag while the manual just have a bar or something, I find the manual lumbar more comfortable as it moves up and down as you adjust it, it just hits my lower back better.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

I too will never buy a dark colored vehicle again if I can help it. Not only does it show every little ding and scratch, it also shows bird crap residue, dust, water spots, and pretty much everything else you can imagine. Another problem is how stinking hot it gets in the summer. You may not have that problem, but I sure do here in Phoenix. I noticed a 15 degree difference between my dark green 96 4Runner and a white 96 SR5 I bought as a donor rig. That's right, 15 degrees!

Go for silver or white if you can. There are plenty out there...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by MadCityRich
I'm trading in my trusty '95 3.0 pickup for a 2001 or 2002 4Runner. Looking forward to it with a bit of bittersweet.
Let me know what condition the pickup truck is in, and I might be able to help you with a sale... I live in the Milwaukee area.

Please PM me to respond...

Peter
Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 AM

My personal taste is to go with the sport, I just like the body without all the cladding jaz, but that's just me. It's also newer but you didn't mention the mileage unless I missed it.

What would concern me is you mentioned one had less rust. I know you live in snow country but how much rust does either one have? If you have rust on the body now, I would look for a used one on Ebay from a different climate. I'm also not sure the 3rd gen 4 runner is the best to haul firewood around in, the arse end tends to sag pretty much with a load in it and if your trailer isn't balanced right that would make it worse. I drive an 01 and it's a great vehicle but it's anything but a heavy hauler..

Doug