Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

We flipped our truck, but we aren't ready to scrap it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy We flipped our truck, but we aren't ready to scrap it.

Hey to all!
My husband recently bought his dream truck, a '96 Toyota Tacoma. This Monday as we were returning from a day at the lake we hit a rain/oil slick patch in the road and flipped. Once the tow truck pulled it back over the damage didn't look as bad as we anticipated.
The frame is in top-notch condition and we've yet to investigate the internal damage. So far we know the back corner of the cab on the driver's side will need a re-weld. The windshield needs to be replaced. And, guessing from the oil draining from under the hood, we'll need some replacements inside.
My husband is so upset that he will have to scrap his "baby" but I'm sure it's not as bad as he thinks. I want to have it towed home until we figure out what to do. Should we just total it? Where should we start? I'm willing to pay/do what ever it takes to save this truck; if it can be done.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 PM

It can be saved! Sorry to hear about that. It is ONLY a truck though...and you can buy another one...glad your still alive!

First, I want to see some pics of the damage...so we know what you need!

Worst case, you'll need a new cab/or the truck is totalled. Don't SCRAP the truck, part it out!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^x2.........
Old 06-18-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dang, glad to hear that everyone is OK. That is the most important thing. The damage doesn't sound too bad, but it may cost a few bucks to get it all straightened out.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 AM

i had a 86' 4x4 w/ stock turbo i rolled it about the same cab and windshield damaged we fliped back over aired up a tire and i drove it to the body shop. when i first got out ofo the truck i had to reach in and shut it off it even ran on its side. so dont sweat it its a yota!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rolled my 4runner in 1999

and the only thing to fix was body damage, 100% engine fluid change
and 150,000 miles later it is running way better than most peoples rigs on this forum (from what I gather by the postings)

didn't even mess with the alignment. ymmv.

it did need new roof, hood, fenders, 3 doors, headlight, mirrors, headliner, bumpers. but mechanically and electrically
not one problem

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 06-19-2008 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, lets see some pictures, that will tell us what we need to know.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:20 AM

Welcome to Yotatech. Glad you guys walked away. One thing you will learn with this big Yota tech croud is we learn through pictures You came to the right place.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 AM

Sorry to hear about that, it looks like a sweet truck. I would love to see some pics of how the cab held together after being flipped like that. And thank God you were both wearing your seatbelts!

Once your insurance and body shop start looking at the damage that could decide what you are going to do. Depending on any frame damage it could be more trouble than it's worth to fix. But knowing how these trucks are, I wouldn't be surprised if most everything checks out ok.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:06 AM

That reminded me of a 4Runner review I read on carreview.com. Here it is:

"We loved our 4runner! It was a sharp SUV, even though we bought it 5 years old in 1998. Last week, however, going UP a hill, and only 10-15 mph, it slipped in slush, and rolled over. I shudder to think what would happen if someone was driving one of these things and going faster."

Old 06-19-2008, 10:23 AM

^ That is hilarious!!! I love how it magically flipped over going only 10 miles per hour! They must have hit one of those hollywood action stunt ramps.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 PM

You should be able to repair it no problem, it sounds like you might have a chance to have your insurance company buy you a new rig.

Yotas are TOUGH!!!! TUFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
^ That is hilarious!!! I love how it magically flipped over going only 10 miles per hour! They must have hit one of those hollywood action stunt ramps.
yeah...right slipped in slush

You left out a lot of stuff.

"We slipped in slush, and then gunned it, and the vehicle went sideways into a ditch and then slid down the ditch, and it started to creep over to the side. In a blind panic he stepped on the gas and completed the deal."
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM

Once a passenger vehicle lands on it's top, most insurance carriers won't insure it again due to the structural integrity of the roof and pillars having been compromised. They are good for one rollover incident despite damage. Because of that they may refuse to pay for repairs.

If you can afford the repairs yourself and can live with only liability coverage then you should be fine to fix it and drive it.

HTH
Old 06-19-2008, 01:06 PM

One thing I've learned about my yota over the years is that its a tough little sumbitch. My bud was legally intoxicated and had a head on head collision doin bout 40, both people survived, he completely rebuilt the front end and his truck was fine. he also has a 96 tacoma. Don't worry she'll pull through.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:46 PM

Well unfortunately guys, I wasn't able to get close up to take any pictures; especially of the drivers side damage or of the front. Lame, I know. Blame the husband =] At any rate, we got a phone call this afternoon saying that in addition to the damages, the CD player was stolen while the truck was in the tow-lot. I want to say thanks to GenX for the insurance info. I know the picture I'm posting won't show much but it's all I've got right now. Tomorrow I'm planning on arranging for the truck to be brought home or atleast taking some notes about the damage and getting guesstimates. The cab wasn't crushed or caved; just one broken weld by the back window on the drivers side, but I don't know if that would classify as being crushed =/ I'm planning on working/paying on it as the money comes in. Where should we start? Windshield definitely, but what about after that? Door hinges and cab or under the hood?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:57 PM

I think we still need to see some more pics. I know you can't get it right now, but we can't see any damage...other than it looks like the back window is out. Really doesn't look bad at all though...but I don't know what the other side looks like

Good luck
Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by BigBallsMcFalls
yeah...right slipped in slush

You left out a lot of stuff.

"We slipped in slush, and then gunned it, and the vehicle went sideways into a ditch and then slid down the ditch, and it started to creep over to the side. In a blind panic he stepped on the gas and completed the deal."
No way, forget all that 'physics' and 'driver error' stuff! They hit a patch of slush with a land mine buried underneath, flipping the vehicle instantly. Those darn 4Runners are unsafe!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by mrsanderson
At any rate, we got a phone call this afternoon saying that in addition to the damages, the CD player was stolen while the truck was in the tow-lot.
sounds to me like the tow truck driver liked your CD player. after all, wouldn't they have a fence to keep that kind of crap out?

what kind of coverage did you have? your comprehensive or road hazard may cover it... just take the payout and buy a new one.

Al
Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TexanTaco
No way, forget all that 'physics' and 'driver error' stuff! They hit a patch of slush with a land mine buried underneath, flipping the vehicle instantly. Those darn 4Runners are unsafe!!!
then I guess it's lucky he wasnt drivin a 4runner huh?

Quick Reply: We flipped our truck, but we aren't ready to scrap it.