Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

On the way back home from the stealership...

Old 02-05-2004, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy On the way back home from the stealership...

Ok guys I need some advice... Today I went in to have my rotors looked at and turned if need be. They were warped (which was the way I recieved them) and they were turned.. Well, on the way home I noticed a kind of grinding sound and I thought hmmm.... Maybe there is a burr on the pad or some caked brake dust...something to that nature. Well, then I drove it around periodically using the brakes to see if it would help....then I went so far as to brake very heavy and cool down and try it again...IT STILL DOES IT. It is not only when I mash the breaks, but the whole damn time that the wheel is turning anywhere from 1-70mph it is doing this. (it isn't your regular brake pad noise...) It is annoying as hell because I can hear it over the radio and I am worried of course I searched on here but couldn't find any problem exactly like mine.
Thanks!
-Matt
Old 02-05-2004, 01:59 PM

They got one (or more) of the brake pads in backwards. The pad is on the piston, and the backing plate is on the rotor.

EEEEEOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:06 PM

Hmm you might be right about the brake pads but it also could be that a heat shield is just barely rubbing. If that is the case, it's no big deal at all to fix, just tell them about the noise. Its not hurting anything. If you drive around in the rain it might go away-sometimes even water hitting the shield can push it back enough to stop rubbing.

Or I might be completely wrong!!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:07 PM

I assume that this will cause some serious issues if it isn't fixed....
damn them!

Old 02-05-2004, 04:45 PM

I'd certainly take it back. You can check for yourself, determine which wheel is making noise by driving slow and listen carefully, then remove that wheel and look at the brake pads through the caliper opening.

If they got them in backwards, or screwed something else up seriously, then you get a new set of rotors and pads, at no cost to you. By now the rotor is way too grooved to be salvaged by turning.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:44 PM

Ok, I will go tommorrow and see what happens.
I wish that they would have done it right the first time. There are no real quality Toyota dealers around here...This is not the first time they have botched something of mine...

Last time they screwed up the tranny in my 2000 Celica...(got a new one on them)...They let a brand new tech try his luck on my car. It took...oh...seven hours-instead of three...and he screwed it up as well (can't remember what it was that was originally wrong with it) --So at least the big company covers their a**! Thank goodness for that!

I appreciate everyones suggestions!

-Matt
Old 02-05-2004, 07:45 PM

let us know what is was!!
Old 02-06-2004, 12:03 AM
Contributing Member

You would be suprised how often the little stuff gets messed up. I went in for sparkplugs and they switched the wires, Idiots
Old 02-15-2004, 09:07 AM

Dealer could not reproduce the noise....
I tried to explain it but...oh well I guess I will have to wait til my brakes go out totally.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

Typical dealer response!!!! HAH. Bastards!
OK..email toyota corprate from their website. Complain as much as you can. Go as far as saying your rotors and pads now need replacemnt. I can promise you that you'll recieve a call from the dealer in less than a week to setup and appointment for new stuff.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At least pull the wheel and inspect it yourself.
Turn the rotor by hand and see if anything rubs.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 PM

I vote for complaining to toyota america as well. Let them hand down the

I had a similar problem (but I had my brakes done at Big O tires) and what they said was some of the hardware had come loose... Not good considering I had had the sound for a few months, but not that bad until the day I took it in. I had to stomp on the brakes and the one making the noise locked up, and I've never locked up my brakes. They fixed it at no charge, and haven't had a problem since. Its too bad you're having problems.

Also, might want to check the inside of your wheel. Maybe the caliper is rubbing on the inside of the wheel just slightly. I remember reading about this happening before.
Old 02-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's why I do my own brake jobs. Well that and the money.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:31 PM

So any resolution yet?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Strider, you tried Toyota Knoxville? To buy a vehicle is a big rip-off but I've had nothing but good service from them. They installed my supercharger, I had an oil change, they replaced a leaking coolant hose, and they have a new supercharger belt for me, mine had a small nick in it. Everytime I've been there they recognize me and are very nice.

Pitchar
Old 02-19-2004, 07:01 PM

Ok everyone.... I called in a favor. I asked my uncle (who happens to own a used car dealership himself and does a lot of business with Toyota)...to give one of his buddy's up at another Toyota dealership a call. I ended up going there and having my rotors replaced along with my brake pads. They said that they had put my pads on wrong or something like that...(can't remember the particulars because I was really sick that day). The tech I talked to said that it was a "rookie" mistake. He said that he was suprised that they did not catch it. This dealership is a few miles further to drive to, but it is where I bought both of the Toyotas I have owned...and they are known to have excellent service-especially compaired to the dealership that I went to out of convenience (It was closer).

So all is well...my baby is back to normal!
Thanks for all of the responses guys! I appreciate it!

-Matt

Originally Posted by scharged03
Strider, you tried Toyota Knoxville? To buy a vehicle is a big rip-off but I've had nothing but good service from them. They installed my supercharger, I had an oil change, they replaced a leaking coolant hose, and they have a new supercharger belt for me, mine had a small nick in it. Everytime I've been there they recognize me and are very nice.

Pitchar
Pitchar,
No, but I will keep them in mind for when I get supercharged. If you don't mind me asking..How much was instalation?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 PM

So did you have to pay for the new pads/rotors??? I would hope not! If you did, I would to the shoddy stealership you first had trouble with.