Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Water Pump Issue

Old 05-23-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Pump Issue

Hey All,

Well I finally went and did it, seeing that I want to have my runner for a long time yet to come. I went and gave the stealership $450 for the 60K service. They called me about 3 hours later and told me that all was well with the exception of the WATER-PUMP! THey said that the cost would be $875 to replace it NOT INCLUDING the belts that they suggested I have replaced as well.

Does anyone have a more cost-effective solution? THe stealership is really trying to get me and I do not feel like all the pressure sales and whatnot. Has anybody replaced their own water pump and if so do you have a walk through or something that you could send me? Would it be better if I just let them do it? (hoping that you all say no to this option)

Please Help,

Outkast`
Old 05-23-2003, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fair wrench...but no real whiz and I did it myself. The price the dealer quoted you was about what I was quoted as well. So I planned for my attempt at the task. I read everything possible, ordered all the parts pulled it into the garage and did it. Took me several days of easy work, stopping only to order and get the idler pullies because they felt and sounded like they might not last another 70K. Compared to the T-Belt change on my old Corolla, it was a piece of cake.

If you do it yourself, order the parts (use only Toyota...they have the timing marks correctly marked on the belt), read everything you can, take your time, and be prepared to replace more than you had planned on (you don't want to have to do it again 20K from now).

After you actually have the belt mounted and the tensioner in place, be sure to turn the engine over 2 complete revolutions using only a socket & breaker bar mounted on the front crank bolt. Then recheck the timing marks.

When I buttoned it all up again, it was so satisfying to have it fire up and run even better than it had before I had started.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:59 AM

What size engine? I did my 22re and it was very easy.
Old 05-24-2003, 07:50 AM

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/v6tbelt/index.html

You might as well replace the timing belt with the water pump. As Joel said, you'll probably find some idler pulleys that could use replacing. Luckily this is not an interferance engine so even if you don't set the timing right the first time the valves won't hit the pistons.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:40 PM

Is your truck still under warranty? Powertrane is 5yr/60k.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:06 PM

What are you having done in the 60,000 mile service? If you are having the timing belt replaced then yes, they are getting you or at least trying to.

You can get the pump from www.Partznet.com for $85 for a factory Toyota pump. Then one hour of labor on top of that would be right since they have to take all that stuff off anyway to do the timing belt, so then all that needs to be done is unbolt the pump and bolt on the new one. Like I said one hour labor on top of the belt labor and the price of the pump is fair and really the pump should be replaced with the timing belt anyway.

So, what engine do you have and what work where you getting done, and how do they know the pump is bad anyway?

Doing the pump yourself is a involved job. The pump it bolted to the face of the block and burried deep behind the timing belt cover. All the stuff on the front of the engine has to come off to get to is and here is what the engine looks like right after the pump is removed.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com