Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Water Pump...3nd Time is a Charm

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Pump...3nd Time is a Charm

So I had a water pump leak on my 1997 4Runner and purchased a kit off of Ebay with all new OEM Toyota parts. I insalled all the new parts finished the truck and put it all back together. Everything looked good. But, I came out the next morning and there was coolant running out from the water pump gasket by the thermostat. So, it only took me 30 minutes to completely tear it back apart, but am wondering if I should use some red RTV with the metal water pump gasket. I prepped the surface the first time just with a razor blade to get all the old crap off and a little brake cleaner. I think I will take my wire brush to get that surface really clean this time. Any suggestions would be helpful this go around.

Also, there is a lot of thick grime from dirt, slow leaking coolant, and other crap all over the bottom of the engine , what is the best way to get all that cleaned off?
Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Double Tap
So I had a water pump leak on my 1997 4Runner and purchased a kit off of Ebay with all new OEM Toyota parts. I insalled all the new parts finished the truck and put it all back together. Everything looked good. But, I came out the next morning and there was coolant running out from the water pump gasket by the thermostat. So, it only took me 30 minutes to completely tear it back apart, but am wondering if I should use some red RTV with the metal water pump gasket. I prepped the surface the first time just with a razor blade to get all the old crap off and a little brake cleaner. I think I will take my wire brush to get that surface really clean this time. Any suggestions would be helpful this go around.

Also, there is a lot of thick grime from dirt, slow leaking coolant, and other crap all over the bottom of the engine , what is the best way to get all that cleaned off?
Did you get the torque right the first time? It's only like 13 ft-lbs and it needs to be even. I did mine 30k ago with no RTV and I have yet to add any coolant. I prefer not to use that stuff because any excess can gum up the works--you have to be very careful.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:32 AM

I haven't had the pleasure of doing the TB and water pump yet but when I use gaskets I will smear some RTV on both sides of the gasket so the surface is thinly coated. This fills in the voids if something isn't quite right with the parts. Toyota steered away from only RTV because the mechanics were using too much and it would block passages if it broke free inside. At least that's what I have read.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:32 PM

I did mine with motor on stand. Yes rtv on gasket even torque and good to go.

Are the ebay kits actually OEM?

Thanks good luck
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sdsurfer
Are the ebay kits actually OEM?
Some are, some are not. AirCabinMan is one seller who has Toyota OEM kits.