Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

water injection or underdrive pulley

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water injection or underdrive pulley

I know that some people were working on these a while back for our supercharged trucks. Has anyone come up with anything?
Old 11-28-2003, 09:03 AM

I would say go for the underdrive pulley...but that is only speaking from my personal experience in regards to a Lightning and a 99' blown Taco. I don't know a whole lot about the water injection, but do know that there are quite a few different brands and sizes available for replacing the underdrive pulley.

Billy
Old 11-30-2003, 09:30 AM

Would it be the same pulley for a 4runner? What company makes one because I couldn't find one on the net?
Old 11-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here, give these guys a call.

http://www.sportruckspecialties.com/22Perf.htm

Old 11-30-2003, 11:14 AM

Trdracer-

Give me a little time and i can get you a link to some different yota pulleys.

Billy
Old 11-30-2003, 12:35 PM

Well, I gave it all could in your pulley search. There is still one out there that I have seen in the past but could not find. Anway, here are a couple more options:

www.pulleyboys.com
You can get either a 2.1" or 2.2" pulley from them for the 3.4L that pushes boost to 9.5 psi and is $95.

www.proficientperformance.com
They offer a 6 rib or 8 rib pulley that appears to be more of a generic one. It is 2.7" and bumps boost to 9 psi with the 6 rib, and 10 psi with the 8 rib. Price is $59.

I know for a fact that there are more out there. Just keep searching various ways of wording "3.4L pulleys" or even just "underdrive or supercharger pulleys". That's your best bet. You will run into a lot of pulleys for toyotas cars, but the trucks/runners are a different story. The one I could not find was on a website of a company that tunes fords. Good Luck. Also, let us know if you find anything for the 4.7L.

Billy

9.5 lbs is going to be the most common (and probably correct) pulley you should find.
Old 12-06-2003, 06:28 PM

I just installed a water injection system on one of my 4Runners tonight.

I have a Compressor Dischage Temp Gauge and it is showing a reduction of 50-60* with one of the smaller nozzles.

We are going to kit this and have it for sale soon at:

www.URDUSA.com

I have most everything figured out and it should install well on all current supercharged Toyota engines.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 12-06-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
I just installed a water injection system on one of my 4Runners tonight.

I have a Compressor Dischage Temp Gauge and it is showing a reduction of 50-60* with one of the smaller nozzles.

We are going to kit this and have it for sale soon at:

www.URDUSA.com

I have most everything figured out and it should install well on all current supercharged Toyota engines.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
nice! i'm waiting for the WB sensor to come in before i install my WI setup . . figured it would be best to be prudent.

did you go with the Aquamist kit? got any price or performance info?

creed
Old 12-07-2003, 05:26 AM

Yes it is an Aquamist system. No pricing info yet.

I can tell you the whole package is super high quality. I am very impressed by it.

The engine does feel like it is pulling stronger and it is definately enough to notice. I am using one of the smaller jets and was really suprised to see how much of a drop there was in CDT. On a coold night like last night below freezing, it dropped about 50-60* and I found that pretty amazing. I am sure the performance difference would more pronouced on a hot day then a ice cold day like last night.

I looked at different placed to install the jet and figured that the EGR ports is not going to be a good place. The jet has to be flush with the side of the duct or extend into it to work correctly. That can not happen with the EGR port idea. There is about a 1.5" long hole it has to go before making it into the ducting. I installed it just past the throttle body right in the ducting and it ends up perfectly flush with the inside of the duct.

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com
Old 12-07-2003, 07:12 AM
CTB

Hey guys,

Just curious, what exactly is a water injection system? What are the benefits, components that have to be installed, where are they installed, etc?

I'm geussing it has something to do with reducing the intake temperature? Thanks for the info-

CTB
Old 12-07-2003, 10:21 AM

A water injection system injects water into the engine like fuel is injected into the engine. Water injection is very useful on forced induction engines and does two main things.

It is a very good anti-detonate and has the affect of really raising the octane level of the fuel. This prevent detonation and spark knock so that a more aggressive ignition timing can be used and make more power.

It also does a very good job of cooling the discharge temp from the supercharger. This temp reduction makes the charge air more dense so that more usable air is making it into the combustion chamber on each cycle so that more power can be made.

To give you an example of how significant this can be, the P&W R-2800 aircraft engine is rated at 2200 HP take off power dry. When the water injection system is used it is rated at 2500 take off HP. On the DC-6 there are four R-2800 engines do we are taking about an extra 1200 HP available for take off by injecting water. Neat, don't you think??

Now on our little tiny engine with the TRD supercharger I would normally see CDT around 200 normally and on really hot days I have seen it close to 220. With this water injection system using a small jet a .8mm I am seeing the temp never break 150. I think that is very significant.

A side benifit, water injection converts to steam and expans 1700 times and that keeps the cumbustion chamber clean of carbon build up as well as the rest of the intake track.

Gadget

www.URDUSA.com
Old 12-07-2003, 10:47 AM
CTB

That is cool stuff Gadget, thanks for the explanation. So, where exactly is the water injected into, and where does the water come from (tank that holds it?, etc)?
Old 12-07-2003, 10:48 AM

would there be any benifits at all on a normal aspirated engine?
Old 12-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by oly884
would there be any benifits at all on a normal aspirated engine?
You would gain some but much more noticable on a S/C engine.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 PM

so did you use an existing port, or drill a new hole in the s/c housing?

creed
Old 12-07-2003, 06:04 PM

Re: water injection or underdrive pulley

Originally posted by trdracer
I know that some people were working on these a while back for our supercharged trucks. Has anyone come up with anything?
by the way . . . water injection AND a smaller pulley might be the key.

email brian wickland at www.pulleyboys.com for the pulley . . . he's a good guy.

creed
Old 12-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

I can't wait to hear more about this, too!
I looked into installing an Aquamist system on my truck a couple years ago. I didn't want to drill into my brand-new supercharger, so I contacted a couple machinists. They recommended that I place a plate between the S/C and the intake manifold with the nozzle plumbed in. The plate would have been narrow so I wouldn't have lost too much underhood clearance with the rise of the S/C plenum. The problem was price...$3,000 for the machining work alone.

As far as the underdrive pulley:
I was working with a company about a year ago to develop a UDP for the 3.4L and the 3.0L. We had worked up measurements for an actual UDP and for a standard size pulley that was just lighter. After reading a post by Gadget on 4x4Wire about the effects of a UDP on a V6, I decided not to continue working with the company to develop one. I did more research and found that they are great for freeing up horsepower, but they are also great at substantially increasing engine wear. Our engines utilize a harmonic balancer. Without that HB, the crank and bearings are free to wander as they wish. I was communicating with a gentleman via e-mail who had a Mitsubishi 3000GT. He had installed a UDP on his TT engine. A short while later, his engine "let go" and he was forced to rebuild it. The lack of a harmonic balancer on an already shaky engine caused the premature failure of a main bearing which lead to the fracture of a rod.
The only way our engines could handle the lack of a harmonic balancer for prolonged periods of time would be to have a crank shaft custom made, balanced and blueprinted.

I think one of us needs to swap in a new BMW V12...and engine that doesn't require a hefty HB because of the the V12's naturaly balancing characteristic.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Contributing Member

Alan, I think Creed is refering to a smaller S/C pulley (= more boost). Not a UDP on the crank. Right?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:38 PM

i think alan is clearing up the air on UPD vs smaller s/c pulley here . . .

creed
Old 12-07-2003, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

Whoops! Sorry :pat:

Quick Reply: water injection or underdrive pulley