Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Washed my truck today......

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Washed my truck today......

I haven't washed my truck in about 3+ months! The weather has been so crappy here (under 30 degrees, so it would freeze) there was no point.

Just curious for those of you that regularly wash your car, has the northern weather stopped you like it has me???

I should snap of a pic.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only washed mine, once a month.

The bad thing is my doors freeze after I do that!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's been a year since I washed either of mine....
Old 02-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Washed my truck today......

Originally posted by Jason B
I haven't washed my truck in about 3+ months! The weather has been so crappy here (under 30 degrees, so it would freeze) there was no point.

Just curious for those of you that regularly wash your car, has the northern weather stopped you like it has me???

I should snap of a pic.
I will be lucky to wash mine by June when the weather finally gets above 30F!

Until then it will continue to look like crap. :pat:
Old 02-10-2004, 02:52 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

In Denver, they use Magnesium Chloride on the streets to prevent freezing of the roads and when the chemical is wet it is corrosive. CDOT recommends that you wash it off as soon as you can to prevent damage to your vehicle. I wash mine in between storms even if I know a new storm is going to be rolling in quickly. At worst, I just power-wash the Runner especially the undercarriage with plain water just to get most of the crap off.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

The only time my truck has gotten washed in the past 3-4 months was after it got painted, and last week when they wetsanded and buffed it. It got above 40° today but I wasn't able to wash it due to school. I'm about to just give up untill after spring break. That should give me enough time to buy some griots stuff to detail it inside and out.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Krash
The only time my truck has gotten washed in the past 3-4 months was after it got painted, and last week when they wetsanded and buffed it. It got above 40° today but I wasn't able to wash it due to school. I'm about to just give up untill after spring break. That should give me enough time to buy some griots stuff to detail it inside and out.
If you just got the truck painted you might wanna hold off on waxing it for like 3 months. You can wash it with mild soap, but I wouldn't recommend waxing it. Anytime I've gotten stuff painted, the body shop tells me to wait 3 months to let the paint completely cure. Just looking out for ya, don't wnat you to mess up that shiny new paint.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

I'm with TS1 I try to spray mine off whenever I get a chance. Today I ran over to the carwash and power washed the Runner on my lunch break. That crap from the roads is NASTY!!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jonathan
If you just got the truck painted you might wanna hold off on waxing it for like 3 months. You can wash it with mild soap, but I wouldn't recommend waxing it. Anytime I've gotten stuff painted, the body shop tells me to wait 3 months to let the paint completely cure. Just looking out for ya, don't wnat you to mess up that shiny new paint.
Its been over three months since its gotten painted. I'm still not going to wax it till I talk to the paintshop about it, I probably wont listen to them because they suck thats another story though. I want to wait at least till a warm month comes along where it can sit in the warmth instead of cold and cure a little better, not only that but I want to add some TRD decals and want to do that after I wax not before.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

yea i wash mine about once a week normally if its raining during that time. like ts1 said spray that crap off. i just got my car detailed for free a few weeks ago (they crashed my already busted up front bumper which has a replacement going on shortly) and when i sprayed it off and dried it it looked like it was brand new after about 2 weeks of driving in crappy mag cloride goo slush
Old 02-10-2004, 04:41 PM

Mines still nice and purty. Course not driving it but once since October sure saves ya from having to wash it regulary The DD Tercel gets around better on the snowy roads anyway. And its got plenty of rust and plenty of "deer tracks" that I dont get too excited about washing it. Im gettin antsy to get back on the road with the taco though (I got a bunch of parts/mods waiting to go on too). Darn ohio weather
Old 02-10-2004, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Minor Hijack: Hey Cruzin, If I remember right you got your alarm/ lock combo offa ebay, who was the seller? Or if you have a link to the auction, I would like to check it out.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:05 PM

Do Bud Baths count? I heard it was a refreshing experience, plus the snow was melting today so the trails were nice 'n juicy...

Didn't get pics until nighttime in my garage...

But to stay on-topic, I DID go to the car wash today after muddin' to spray out my springs and steering components and wheel wells and wheels. I wanted to leave the mud on though because a) i'm proud and b) too cold to take the time to clean it thoroughly, 1 hour in these temps holding wet cold washer nozzle is deadly.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:22 PM

MUD!!!! I washed mine the other day. I shoulda left the thing dirty. Sooooo many scratches. Looks like its time to break out the Griots again
Old 02-10-2004, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by ts1
In Denver, they use Magnesium Chloride on the streets to prevent freezing of the roads and when the chemical is wet it is corrosive. CDOT recommends that you wash it off as soon as you can to prevent damage to your vehicle. I wash mine in between storms even if I know a new storm is going to be rolling in quickly. At worst, I just power-wash the Runner especially the undercarriage with plain water just to get most of the crap off.
This goes triple in places that use salt.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:24 PM

roger that
Old 02-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

It took me awhile to find a car wash I could fit my 4Runner into. Most of the ones around me can't fit anything approaching 7 feet tall. Finally found a Sam's Self Serve in Centerville.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:36 PM

I'm in PA too Jason and I just discovered this thing called an automatic car wash.
I have never taken a car through one of these as I enjoy hand-washing my cars/trucks but it has been soooooo cold and my truck was soooo filthy/salty, I took an impulse ride through one of those automatic deals. Turns out it was "wacky wednesday" and it only cost me five bucks which is what I pay at the "take all the time you need" hand wash place.
The trick is to dry the door jams afterwards. I used to do this even when I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid) and I would wash my cars in the freezing cold. If you dry the jams and door frames you will seldom have any troubles with a frozen door in the morning.
It's not as clean as if I did it myself but the salt is off and the wheels look a heck of a lot better.
Mike
Old 02-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

I try to wash mine as often as possible. Usually twice a week or so. I dont care how cold it is, Illinois uses enough salt to make up for every state that doesnt. I dont plan on having my cherry truck rot out, any damage it gets will be because of me

Now, the toy on the other hand, i cant remember the last time i washed it. I sprayed it down in june with just a pressure washer, and i think that was it.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:17 PM

Well Sunday I finally got around to washing my truck by a Simoniz brush I bought at my local store, results were real good. IT's been clean for the past two days and weather says that its going to snow tomorrow. Oh well, here's a sneak pic of how clean it is/was. Notice the reflection off of the chrome. *Bling*

Last edited by Vato Loco; 02-10-2004 at 06:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Washed my truck today......