Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

WARNING beware when buying new EAGLE ALLOYS ESP. the 185's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WARNING beware when buying new EAGLE ALLOYS ESP. the 185's!!!

First off, not sure if this thread belongs in this section but mods feel free to move it.

I ordered a set of wheels from a friend that works at a highly reputable wheel/tire distributor. When the rims arrived, I went to pick it up. We opened the boxes, and all the rims had scratches around the lip where the fake beadlocks were. Looks like the person screwing the fake rivetts on was high or drunk and kept slipping while tightening... Also the face of one of the wheels also had a scratch. I definately wasn't going to accept these wheels... So my buddy calls Eagle Alloys to see what the deal was and they said they would take it back and replace the scratched wheel and repolish the lips on the others. It would take a few days... I say ok...

Well today they call my buddy and tells him that they checked out other 185's that they had and all of them had the scratches and etc around the lips. They claimed they would replace the wheels with another style without the fake beadlocks if I wanted. They then went on to claim that all the wheels with the fake beadlocks are scratched up like this... Talk about some BS quality control... So now we are asking for a refund or they give me the fake beadlock rings to cover up all the scratches... The guy says he will talk to corporate and see what he can do...

Well I just found out that they will issue a refund but it will take one and a half weeks because the wheels were delivered via COD and that UPS has the money. They won't issue the refund until they get the money from UPS. So now they have their scratched up wheels back and still won't issue a refund until they get the money from UPS.

I think this is BS... My buddy is hooking me up so I don't want him to ask his company absorb the cost while waiting for the refund to come back. Anyways... enough of the ranting... Just be warned when buying new Eagle Alloys, especially the 185 series... Most of them are scratched up around the lips.

Last edited by grimpy; 06-28-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:14 PM

i really odnt think it matters who has the money, you are not whole, their job is to make you whole.
what should happen, is they refund you, then take it up with UPS, i had this same thing happen to me except it was a different company and it was over a tv that arrived at my housse broken, they got their tv back and bs'd with my $ for another month before i started making serious threata, ended up having to ask an air force buddy of mine stationed nearby to drop over and see about my money when they quit answering my calls, the charges were reversed the next day.
good luck with it, i know how stressful that situation is
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM

Did you pay your friend? the highly reputable tire distributor? or the UPS guy?

If you paid the dealer then I was just get your money back from them (let them sit on the refund). Anything else I would just sit and wait. Eagle will probably have to wait a few weeks for the slow boat from china to deliver a new batch.

We have sold alot of those 185's here lately at the off-road shop I work at. They are a pretty cool looking wheel for the price. The only thing I dont like about them is that the black starts to fade after a few months.

Hope everything turns out well...Just remember it isn't the end of the world, you will still have your truck 2 weeks from now!

Cheers
Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

Update: They offered to refund a whooping $40... I said hell no, these wheels should have been factory defects. Keep in mind they were suppose to replace one of them and just repolish the lips but I guess the scratches were so deep, they wouldn't have been able to polish them out. So now I'm just going to wait for the money back. That BS that all the fake beadlock wheels having the scratches around them sounds like pure crap to me... Just imagine using a flathead and jabbing at the lips... Not one but all of them were messed up... I had the Eagle 102's and they didn't have any of that crap... I'm never buying Eagle wheels again though... I'm sticking to bad quality control and disgruntled/drunk workers.

Now I'm stuck with these LC wheels for at least another week and a half to two and I'm definately not feeling them on my vehicle... Oh well...
Old 06-28-2007, 09:07 PM

Grimps - Did I ever tell you your truck is AWESOME!!! Just trying to cheer you up!

How about some sweet looking forged procomp 107's? Buy three get one free! Imagine the dish depth on the 16 x 10 with 4.5" backspacing... These would look perfect on your rig.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT64141.aspx

http://www.procomptires.com/series107.htm

Last edited by QSVeilside; 06-28-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks QS.

I never considered getting forged wheels for the 4Runner. With the 33's, the weight difference really isn't that much to me. I am a fan of forged wheels on cars though. On my old Roady, I had some 19" LeMans on there... I sure miss that car and those wheels...
Old 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Finally this crap is over! After three weeks of waiting, the guys at corporate denied giving me a refund and wanted to just give me credit... I didn't want no f'n credit, those are the only wheels I want that eagle carries... So they said they would check with corporate again to see what they can do...

After a month of waiting... I finally reported them to BBB... Well the next day, my buddy calls me and said Eagle just called and asked him if his customer was *my name here* and he says yes... Then they say ok and hang up... The next days he tells me that they are sending my new wheels... Kind of strange how they kept saying they didn't have any good wheels in stock and only after my BBB complaint, they suddenly find a set... oh wells...

So my set came in... Went to pick them up... Open the boxes... one was in pretty good shape... The other three had a few little scratches here, nothing close to the first set. I figured to hell with it... It's alot better than the first set so I just kept them.

So yeah, finally after a month and a new car later... the wheels finally arrived... Guess what... These wheels won't clear the caliper on my new Taco... DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 09:42 PM

gotta love that Better Business Bureau...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The power of the Internet!
I bet they read this thread too.

Sounds like they have some serious quality control issues there.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by grimpy
... These wheels won't clear the caliper on my new Taco... DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!
did you order 15" rims? if so, some wheel spacers should do the trick.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by typical8o8
did you order 15" rims? if so, some wheel spacers should do the trick.
Nope they were 16x8. Spacers would do the trick but I kind of want to stay away from spacers...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 AM

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I'm surprised that a company would treat a customer so poorly
Old 08-14-2007, 08:30 AM

It's unfortunate but when ever you purchase something C.O.D.These are the problems that can arise. My number 1 rule with "ANY" shipping company is, Make them wait, open the box and inspect it right then and there. Especially if it's something that can get easilly scratched up or damaged. That way you can just refuse delivery if there's damage and there's no hassles no questions. They'll have to take it up with UPS when they get the product back and open it up.